U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,597 times

Advertisements

Hi! Currently live in Boston, but just got a job in Worcester. I'm a single professional, late 20's. I love city life, but don't think I can handle a 1+ hour commute each day. Is anyone familiar with the towns in between Boston and Worcester? Are they safe? Any good areas for young professionals? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,864,709 times
Plenty of options for you to choose from. Do you want something more "urban" or "rural" for living itself? And are you looking to rent or buy? Budget?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM

100 posts, read 349,329 times
Of the 3 towns that you mention, I personally like Natick. You'll only be 20 minutes away from Boston and Worcester will be something like a 30-minute commute. Moreover, for your office commute, you'll be going opposite to rush hour traffic.

Natick has a nice selection of stores and restaurants. Framingham is also mostly very nice, but I would stay away from the train station and the downtown areas. Shrewsbury is fine, but I think it might be a longer commute to Boston (I am guessing at least 45 minutes if not more) - however, the commute to Worcester should be quite fast.

Btw, in terms of costs of housing, on average, Natick will be the highest followed by Framingham, and then Shrewsbury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Coast View Post
Hi! Currently live in Boston, but just got a job in Worcester. I'm a single professional, late 20's. I love city life, but don't think I can handle a 1+ hour commute each day. Is anyone familiar with the towns in between Boston and Worcester? Are they safe? Any good areas for young professionals? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Probably a little more urban... but living near running or biking trails would be great (so I guess I could do either). Preferably would like to pay $1300 or less/month. Studio or 1BR is fine. Looking to rent (at least for the next year or so). Thanks!!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 PM

334 posts, read 953,208 times
I think framingham is the most interesting. I don't know why forrestgump says to stay away from the train station and downtown areas. There's lots to do in framingham and it's a safe place. Also cheaper. and the nice thing is the train goes to both places quickly. I'd say like 1/2 hour to boston and a little less to Worcester. Definitely what I would choose in your situation.Cheers.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

160 posts, read 536,904 times
I would not chose to live in downtown Framingham by the train station. I would double-check, but I find it doubtful that Framingham is less affordable than Shrewsbury.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:18 PM

I dont know much about shrewsbury, but Framingham has some cheap housing, at least cheaper than shrewsbury.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks so much! I'm leaning towards Natick, but still need to come check out the town... are there any areas in Natick that I should avoid (or certain areas that you would recommend)? Also, are there any other towns in between Boston and Worcester that I should consider (safe, nice, fairly easy commute to both Worcester and Boston)?

Last edited by East_Coast; 05-28-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Not really any cheap places.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Is $1300/month for a studio/1BR considered cheap in the suburbs? Should I expect to pay more? I've found decent studios in Back Bay for $1350-1500 and thought living outside the city would be more affordable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>