U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are relocating from DE to MA in the next couple of months. I think we have decided on the metro-west area and need a bit of help finalizing the decision. My husband will be working out of his house and I will be commuting to Cambridge. We have 2 children, ages 2 and 4. Our budget is around $615k for housing, with needs of 3000 ft2, 4 br, etc...

Obviously, one of the main decision factors is the school systems. I researched Boston.com best schools and US News as well. Interestingly, Boston.com rates Hopkinton and Westborough very high, Stow is still good but not at the same level. When reviewing US News, Hopkinton is consistently ranked but Westborough is not. Also, Nashoba reg is ranked as well, albeit lower than Hopkinton. Westborough was ranked in 2008 though. Any thoughts on this?

Other considerations, I love the more rural feel, but want a nice neighborhood for the kids. Also, it seemed a bit far to "run to the store" in Stow, although that has definite advantages. Westborough seemed to have a lot of conveniences, but not sure if I would feel too congested. Hopkinton is beautiful too - town center is nice, but not too much there. Again, can be advantageous or not. I want to enjoy the outdoors and nature with the kids, but be able to be involved in the community and have them involved in music, sports, etc... So any advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 PM

334 posts, read 932,923 times
Hopkinton seems like it would work well for you. It has some nice parks and neighborhoods, good schools, a couple of nice restaurants in the area, and some stores and businesses. It's a nice place to raise kids in, as a little kid I visited my relatives there, and always liked it. You should be able to find a house there, though they have some expensive houses. I wouldn't want to commute to Cambridge from there, because of rush hour traffic, so I would try to avoid driving there. I'm not really familiar with the other places, but I can tell from what you want, aside from the awful commute,that you'd probably be happy in Hopkinton.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM

925 posts, read 2,544,204 times
I second the vote for Hopkinton, as I grew up in Westboro & although it's lovely I suspect it would feel too congested for you. It still drives me a little nuts that it's gotten so crowded and developed there. Bostonmania is right about the commute to Cambridge though. No fun to drive that during rush hour. Even when the Mass Pike is running smoothly you can easily add 20+ minutes drive time just taking the exit to Cambridge. If there's access to public transit or you can drive in during off hours I'd definitely recommend doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts