Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 AM

278 posts, read 702,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholva View Post
Thanks again to everyone who has contributed. I honestly didn't expect this forum to be such a great resource. I think the wife and I are going to travel up and take a look at all of the places mentioned during the July 4th weekend. The only thing I don't yet seem to have a handle on is the heating costs. Between posts and PMs, it looks like the cost can vary widely. I guess it is just something I will have to find out on my own.
Yea it really is tough to estimate heating costs. It all depends on the type of heating fuel, the type of heating system, the size of the apt/house, how old and well insulated it is, etc........

For instance, I have oil/steam radiators, and I use about 3 tanks of oil between December and March, and that is with me keeping the house at 64 in the day and 58 at night, and running the wood stove occasionally too. 3 tanks of oil at the prices over this past winter worked out to roughly $1,900 give or take. But my house is 60 years old and probably not that well insulated, so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM

35 posts, read 118,439 times
When you find an apartment, ask them what is the average heating cost. One thing to think about is the condition of the windows and overall insulation of the house, most of the old houses are pretty crappy. I paid $2500 last winter for oil to keep my 2 bd, 100-yo house with crappy windows at 65F. If you get an apartment it should be much better, apartments are better insulated.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
Default From a south carolinian

I moved up here 3 years ago, and my husband and I are renting a garden level apartment in Newton for 1500 a month. 740sq ft. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and quarters laundry across the hall. Newton is a very nice area, west of Boston, east of Framingham. Of note, you'll get much more in Framingham than you will in Newton or somewhere closer to Boston, so you're at least headed to the right place if you keep west as people have suggested above.

Regarding housing, the prices are more expensive than Charleston, but that is because coming from Charleston you, like me, will be used to a certain level of quality that just doesn't exist here unless you want to pay 750K. Places are old, but unlike Charleston, they are not kept up well. Kitchens and bathrooms date to the 1940s-1970s. Paint chips on the outside of houses. Yards are not mowed. People do not make much of an effort to show off their houses for potential buyers or renters. To me, this was as bad as the sticker shock, but I'm from Columbia where everything is dirt cheap and brand new. A lot of my friends are young, married professionals in Charleston, and I still pay bit more and get way less than they do.

My husband, who is from MA and met me in SC, sat me down and said if I had to give up 1-3 of all of the things I wanted, what would they be? And in what order? Beauty? In apartment washer and dryer? Short commute? Dishwasher? Yard? Space? A second bathroom? Storage? These are things someone from the south has to think about before even visiting the houses up here because at most price-points, they aren't all possible. I don't mean to be so blunt, but I want yall to be as prepared as possible.

Regarding the other issues, it is really, really, really cold up here. Really. And there are some cultural differences, but I wouldn't say I ever went into shock about it. Ultimately, I think we'll stay. I like it up here. And there are a lot of very good aspects of the Boston Area. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieasc View Post
I moved up here 3 years ago, and my husband and I are renting a garden level apartment in Newton for 1500 a month. 740sq ft. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and quarters laundry across the hall. Newton is a very nice area, west of Boston, east of Framingham. Of note, you'll get much more in Framingham than you will in Newton or somewhere closer to Boston, so you're at least headed to the right place if you keep west as people have suggested above.

Regarding the other issues, it is really, really, really cold up here. Really. And there are some cultural differences, but I wouldn't say I ever went into shock about it. Ultimately, I think we'll stay. I like it up here. And there are a lot of very good aspects of the Boston Area. Good luck!
Wow I'm surprised you could get such a nice apartment for 1500 in Newton.

Anyway, Framingham is nice and I have some friends who live there from Brazil who like it. I know the area pretty well immediately around Framingham, and if you're looking for a little smaller place away from some of the commercial crap you could check out Natick which is a nice town. A lot of the areas between Boston and Framingham, and just around Framingham in general are extremely wealthy.

It is not really cold up here, though the avg temperature is probably 15-20 degrees colder than what you're used to.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I live in North Framingham. As others have noted, just stay away from South Framingham. Also, be careful with Natick as well on the South Framingham line. It's pretty busy over there. On the north side it's a bit quieter, nice neighborhoods with Sudbury and Weston close by. Lots of parks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts