Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
He's representing me. The program's a joke and a waste of law enforcement time. I'm glad he's followed the lead of the governors of Illinois and New York, and the police chiefs in LA, San Francisco, El Paso, Austin, NYC and countless other cities who do not like this program.

I do not come on this forum and rant every time the legislature does something I don't like (such as the recent anti-union bill pushed by Bob DiLeo). That seems to be a right wing thing...
Hear hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:
He's representing me. The program's a joke and a waste of law enforcement time. I'm glad he's followed the lead of the governors of Illinois and New York, and the police chiefs in LA, San Francisco, El Paso, Austin, NYC and countless other cities who do not like this program.

You obviously didn't read this because LE isn't going around just picking people out of a crowd and profiling them! After someone's arrested they have to check their immigration status,what part of that is a joke?

Quote:
The program, currently enforced in 42 states, would require all local Bay State law enforcement agencies to share fingerprint information of those arrested with federal immigration officials.

Quote:
That seems to be a right wing thing...

Spoken like a true Liberal! This guy is beyond a joke,what part of ILLEGAL do you Libs not understand? You wonder why the state along with the others you referred to above are always in the red!Between the illegals and the welfare handouts there's no way to sustain a positive cash flow ever in these states. Keep giving more and more to those who produce NOTHING while we keep taking from our kids education and the elderly. Glad he's representing you,maybe you should start paying for all these handouts with your own money because I'm sick of it!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
The program's a joke and a waste of law enforcement time.
Is that so? Do you work for ICE or are you in law enforcement? Talk to me please.

In Brockton there is a dead mother and 2 year old son who would be alive today had this been in place. I don't think they would care whether this is a right or left-wing thing.

Quote:
I'm glad he's followed the lead of the governors of Illinois and New York, and the police chiefs in LA, San Francisco, El Paso, Austin, NYC and countless other cities who do not like this program.
What about the 42 others that did sign on? It doesn't look like we are in very good company, most of those look like the typical "sanctuary cities". Or is that what you really want?

Quote:
I do not come on this forum and rant every time the legislature does something I don't like (such as the recent anti-union bill pushed by Bob DiLeo). That seems to be a right wing thing...
It's not just something I don't like. Our governor is putting every citizen of the commonwealth in danger only to appease his political base.

Are you aware (likely not) that this is Obama's program? I bet I got you thinking now. You have to support the "messiah" right!

Last edited by massnative71; 06-07-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You wonder why the state along with the others you referred to above are always in the red!Between the illegals and the welfare handouts there's no way to sustain a positive cash flow ever in these states. Keep giving more and more to those who produce NOTHING while we keep taking from our kids education and the elderly. Glad he's representing you,maybe you should start paying for all these handouts with your own money because I'm sick of it!

Recently saw that illegals are costing this state between $660 million to $1.2 billion per year. Great use of funds eh?

Deport them all, we could probably restore most of the local aid that has been looted from our local cities and towns.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is that so? Do you work for ICE or are you in law enforcement? Talk to me please.

My cousin's in the NYPD. He says to me, "you know, we're trying to establish a relationship with people and this thing doesn't do much of anything to keep people out but it sure as hell makes the people in my precinct not trust us. They feel harassed by all this."

In Brockton there is a dead mother and 2 year old son who would be alive today had this been in place. I don't think they would care whether this is a right or left-wing thing.

What bull. The "right-wing thing" to which I referred is to ***** on C-D about it.

There are over 15,000 homicides a year in the United States. It's easy to use a particular case to support anything. I'm sure there were plenty of people killed by someone who had been acquitted of another crime following a trial. Why don't we throw out the right to trial by jury? There are people who would be alive today if we had. Why not just scrap the whole constitution of the United States?

How many people "would be alive today" if we had some reasonable gun policies in this country? Thousands are killed by people with guns in this country every year, but that seems not to matter.

What about the 42 others that did sign on? It doesn't look like we are in very good company, most of those look like the typical "sanctuary cities". Or is that what you really want?

You know what, it just so happens that just about everywhere I'd want to live in the country is what you'd call a "sanctuary city."

You talk about Patrick pandering. I'd say most of the other governors are pandering to people like you. But then it's OK, right?

But it really doesn't matter to me what the other governors do. You asked whom he was representing. I said he was representing me.

It's not just something I don't like. Our governor is putting every citizen of the commonwealth in danger only to appease his political base.

Are you aware (likely not) that this is Obama's program? I bet I got you thinking now. You have to support the "messiah" right!

Yes, I am fully aware it's Obama's program. No, you do not have me thinking now. I am not an Obama fan.

And everyone please stop patronizing me with the whole "you pay for it" crap. I've paid plenty of income taxes. You know who else has? Immigrants, including "illegal" immigrants. They pay more in, on average, than they get out.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
My cousin's in the NYPD. He says to me, "you know, we're trying to establish a relationship with people and this thing doesn't do much of anything to keep people out but it sure as hell makes the people in my precinct not trust us. They feel harassed by all this."
If that is true then an education of the community is warranted. If one is not doing any wrong there is no need to fear the police or feel harrassed. That is not what this program is about. I have heard from several sources in the Boston Police that they are very pleased with the results and as a result hundreds of criminals have been deported.

Quote:
What bull. The "right-wing thing" to which I referred is to ***** on C-D about it.

There are over 15,000 homicides a year in the United States. It's easy to use a particular case to support anything. I'm sure there were plenty of people killed by someone who had been acquitted of another crime following a trial. Why don't we throw out the right to trial by jury? There are people who would be alive today if we had. Why not just scrap the whole constitution of the United States?

How many people "would be alive today" if we had some reasonable gun policies in this country? Thousands are killed by people with guns in this country every year, but that seems not to matter.
There is nothing unconstitutional about Secure Communities. And what is a "reasonable gun policy"? You mean like Mexico and the restrictions they impose? Look how good that is working out for them.

And believe me, in this case I have done much more than just $%^&* on C-D about it.

Quote:
You know what, it just so happens that just about everywhere I'd want to live in the country is what you'd call a "sanctuary city."

You talk about Patrick pandering. I'd say most of the other governors are pandering to people like you. But then it's OK, right?

But it really doesn't matter to me what the other governors do. You asked whom he was representing. I said he was representing me.
New York, L.A. and Chelsea, MA are not my dream destinations, but we're all entitled to our own.

If by "people like me" you mean those of us who want our laws enforced and to be protected, then I think I'm in the majority and you are the odd one out. It is an elected official's job to represent the majority interest, not to mention uphold the law of the land. Apparently that coward we call governor would disagree on both.

Quote:
And everyone please stop patronizing me with the whole "you pay for it" crap. I've paid plenty of income taxes. You know who else has? Immigrants, including "illegal" immigrants.
No illegals do not pay income taxes as they have no SS#s. Quit drinking the koolade.

Quote:
They pay more in, on average, than they get out.
According to...?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM

158 posts, read 371,307 times
Sanctuary cites: a designation idealized by comfortable, do-gooders from the safety of their suburb extending an open invitation for those unfortunates seeking the freedom of inner city squalor. Oh, and the freedom to mow lawns, cook meals and be nannies for their kids too.

Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem.
John Galsworthy

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
He's representing me. The program's a joke and a waste of law enforcement time.
It's a waste of Law Enforcement time to be able to identify a criminal who is illegally in the country who has a different (non-existent) identity every time they get in trouble? WOW! Maybe it's me, I though that was EXACTLY what our tax money pays them to do!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
If that is true then an education of the community is warranted. If one is not doing any wrong there is no need to fear the police or feel harrassed. That is not what this program is about. I have heard from several sources in the Boston Police that they are very pleased with the results and as a result hundreds of criminals have been deported.
It is well documented that the program ensnares people who are innocent of any crime, as it is used on anyone arrested and fingerprinted, not anyone proven guilty of a serious crime. Tens of thousands of people with no record have been deported. It also has a serious deterrent effect on cooperation with the police, as witnesses are very reluctant to come forward.

The idea that the community needs to be educated that the police mean no harm is naive. My fiancee is from Puerto Rico - a natural-born U.S. citizen - and many of her relatives, living in communities with high immigrant populations, know damn well this kind of thing is used to profile people.

Quote:
There is nothing unconstitutional about Secure Communities.
I did not say it was unconstitutional, though it is ill-advised. What I said was that your logic (2 people are dead who would be alive if we'd had this program) could just as easily be applied to our constitutional guarantees. It's not a basis for a rational argument, it's demagoguery.

Quote:
And what is a "reasonable gun policy"? You mean like Mexico and the restrictions they impose? Look how good that is working out for them.
Mexico has plenty of problems, but they are not caused by gun restrictions. They are despite gun restrictions.

How about closing the giant gun show loophole? Even Al Queda wants to buy guns at these b/c it's so easy. Apparently "freedom" requires buying a full assault rifle without so much as a background check.

Al Qaeda: Buy assault rifles at gun shows | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

Quote:
And believe me, in this case I have done much more than just $%^&* on C-D about it.
Good for you.

Quote:
New York, L.A. and Chelsea, MA are not my dream destinations, but we're all entitled to our own.
None are perfect, but I love New York and I like LA. I even like Chelsea. So yeah.

Quote:
If by "people like me" you mean those of us who want our laws enforced and to be protected, then I think I'm in the majority and you are the odd one out. It is an elected official's job to represent the majority interest, not to mention uphold the law of the land. Apparently that coward we call governor would disagree on both.
I mean people who scapegoat undocumented immigrants for everything.

Again, pure demagoguery. There are literally thousands of laws on the books and just about everyone would like to see the overwhelming majority of them enforced. There are plenty of them that are woefully underenforced.

I have no particular love for the current state of immigration law, but that's not the issue. The issue is forcing local officials to enforce federal laws, to the detriment of their enforcement of local laws. It's just weak to parlay a policy view about a specific program into a general opposition to seeing "our laws enforced." Just weak.

Quote:
No illegals do not pay income taxes as they have no SS#s. Quit drinking the koolade.

According to...?
The Texas State Comptroller's office, for starters. And plenty of others:

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Reason Foundation - Illegal Immigrants are Paying a Lot More Taxes Than You Think

Here Illegally, Working Hard and Paying Taxes - New York Times

The Tax Foundation - Immigrants and Taxes

Unauthorized Immigrants Pay Taxes, Too | Immigration Policy Center

Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM

158 posts, read 371,307 times
Oh joy, why does it not surprise me the pro illegal immigrant faction is also pro gun control. Yes, that'll work out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts