Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,064,435 times

Advertisements

Well this year with his oldest in middle school I think they're staying. But up until now they've always left after the baseball season was over, went back to AZ and came back in time for spring training. Kids went from MA schools to AZ schools and back to MA schools. If you ask him, he'll tell you MA schools are far superior. His kids would be away ahead when the left, way behind when they returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM

99 posts, read 393,154 times
I am a native Californian living in Florida will possibly relocate to MA. I just have to say that I moved to Florida by choice. I thought it would be awesome living by the beach and living the Florida lifestyle. Well, I found out that:

1. I get seriously depressed in December when it's 85 degress, 80% humidity and the Christmas tree lots have large tarps so the trees won't burn up in the sun. I really miss a change a season.

2. I can't open my pocket doors to my screened lanai because there are always 1 or 2 lizards that have gotten in somehow. I am so tired of lizards!

3. I can't walk out my front door because usually one of the tons of little green frogs that hang out above the door end up jumping on my head. I always have to exit through the garage.

4. I hate hearing the mosquito truck spraying once a week all summer long. Ughh...that chemical must get on everything that's outside.

5. Sinkholes are more common than I thought and insurance companies have created lots of loopholes to not have to pay if one is under your house.

6. Water moccasins and pygmy rattlers are a part of the neighborhood. I forgot to mention that's another reason I don't walk out my front door...it's never good to surprise a rattler sunning on your doorstep.

7. And yes, there is an alligator living in every pond. Sometimes they end up on your doorstep as well.

8. Oppressive heat and humidity for 8 months out of the year can make a person long for snow!

Anyway, I post this because the grass is never really greener. If I end up in MA, I am sure there are things I won't like. But I really am tired of sweating all the time. BTW...we stay inside a majority of the time from June through September because it's just too hot to be outside.

P.S.: I forgot to mention Love Bug season every May and September. Yuck!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 AM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Someone like that can easily afford to hire tutors to help his kids catch up, he could well afford to hire them full time. I think if you were going to split your time between here and the south, you'd pretty much have to homeschool. The kids wouldn't be up here to take the MCAS tests in March.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,064,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Someone like that can easily afford to hire tutors to help his kids catch up, he could well afford to hire them full time. I think if you were going to split your time between here and the south, you'd pretty much have to homeschool. The kids wouldn't be up here to take the MCAS tests in March.
I'm sure they'll figure it out. They have the grandparents around to pick up the slack. In fact, I think the grandparents move with them to AZ and back, from what I've heard.

Anyway, Curt's nearing the end of his useful life (and contract) with the BoSox. I don't follow baseball so I have no idea what he'll do--go somewhere else as free agent? Retire? And I have no clue if he leaves baseball, where the family will make their permanent home. They can certainly afford private school in AZ if they go that route!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,246,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
This is the kind of talk that keeps people stagnant. You can always come up with a million ideas to NOT do something. Thanks for the 1/2 hearted incouragement. Ask the schools? Why, if they are anything (in NC) like they are here, teachers/schools don't like anything to disturb their organized, round peg in round hole, academic, blinders on the eyes world. I've had enough school experience to realize that. I realize I'll be doing this without their blessing.

Remeber, if you have your feet firmly planted .... your stuck!
All I can tell you is that my parents moved around a lot when I was a kid and I hated it. Children need continuity, they need to feel that they are firmly a part of their community. In my opinion--and you did ask for our opinions, did you not?--it might be great for you, but would not be so great for your child, missing out on 6 months of HER community--in BOTH communities--every year. Not quite sure how that would work out, emotionally.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 PM

830 posts, read 1,058,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
MCAS is the least of my worries. I tell my daughter to fail them on purpose. They are useless! She doesn't listen to me though ... she always scores above average. No I won't make my plans around MCAS.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
All I can tell you is that my parents moved around a lot when I was a kid and I hated it. Children need continuity, they need to feel that they are firmly a part of their community. In my opinion--and you did ask for our opinions, did you not?--it might be great for you, but would not be so great for your child, missing out on 6 months of HER community--in BOTH communities--every year. Not quite sure how that would work out, emotionally.
I am not sure because you hated moving around a lot that it was a bad thing. Did you turn out yo be a stable working adult with goals, dreams, desires and ambitions?

I see the work ethic of young adults today have gone down the tubes. Kids are so into materialness and yet not very motivated. Yes I had a tough childhood and wouldn't want my kids to have the same life but I do wonder if kids have life too easy today and therefore suffer more when the real world is upon them.

Yes I asked if there was anyone out there who lived in two different places with their kids but your situation I feel may have been different. You moved completely to another location and then another ... yes? We would have two homes at the same community year after year. I don't plan to keep moving to a different area. Internet keeps people connected.

I appreciate you responding, but the opinion I am looking for I feel is very different then you describe.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:29 PM

56 posts, read 178,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by els565 View Post
I am a native Californian living in Florida will possibly relocate to MA. I just have to say that I moved to Florida by choice. I thought it would be awesome living by the beach and living the Florida lifestyle. Well, I found out that:

2. I can't open my pocket doors to my screened lanai because there are always 1 or 2 lizards that have gotten in somehow. I am so tired of lizards!

3. I can't walk out my front door because usually one of the tons of little green frogs that hang out above the door end up jumping on my head. I always have to exit through the garage.

4. I hate hearing the mosquito truck spraying once a week all summer long. Ughh...that chemical must get on everything that's outside.

8. Oppressive heat and humidity for 8 months out of the year can make a person long for snow!

Anyway, I post this because the grass is never really greener. If I end up in MA, I am sure there are things I won't like. But I really am tired of sweating all the time. BTW...we stay inside a majority of the time from June through September because it's just too hot to be outside.

P.S.: I forgot to mention Love Bug season every May and September. Yuck!
Oh my! I hear ya loud and clear. I moved from NY (Long Island) to Atlanta so I could live close to family. Turns out that I don't see them much, and talked with them more I lived in NY.

Atlanta is pretty - lots of flowers and trees and no gray dirt from snow plows...but due to shorter winter - lots and lots of bugs. BIG bugs - and many with wings. LOL. I used to love going outside in NY all the seasons - hiking, beach, outdoor gardening. Somehow, I always have to leave Atlanta to do those things!

In Atlanta the house has to be sealed shut from May-Sep due to bugs and heat. Think you can open the windows for a fresh spring breeze? Nope. Can't put screens on the windows because spiders are very tenacious in their weaving habits from April to October. And don't thnk that they don't scale up the sides of the building either! And the huge roaches with wings leave quite a splatter when squished. They come unannounced and uninvited despite the best effots of Terminix.

The heat - when you do find a shady spot to cool off (and Atlanta has many of these due to abundance of trees) - you will be covered in little biting ants. (Did I mention that this place is a exterminator's dream?). The heat seriously makes me weak physically. There is only so much clothes to take off...can always bundle up for the cold. There are precious few areas with sidewalks - haven't seen any in the suburbs. (Probably cause it's too friggin hot to walk). Car is absolute necessity - and they are EVERYWHERE.

Gardening? Think hard red clay - the smell sticks in the back of my throat and gags me. Have to really really work hard at enriching and turning the soil if you expect to grow anything but weeds.

Pro sports are largely unsupported except the Braves. I shudder when I think that the Atlanta Thrashers (hockey team) has a friggin Mascot! I try to tell then that there are no mascots in real hockey!!! But, they seem like their cartoon characters Expect to talk about college sports.

It is also hard to meet people here. I have travelled quite a bit of the US (consultant) and have had good success in California, Texas, Denver, Boston. Racism is a HUGE culture shock. You get it from both sides here. There are a lot of Barbie doll types. Don't even *think* of going to the store in sweats and sneakers unless it is a top name matching set. LOL.

Northerner's Social Survival Tips for the South: People are nice to your face, but watch out what they say behind your back. Recognizing and/or verbalizing unfavorable realities will be taken as direct criticism rather than conversation or observation. Must keep comments as compliments only. If you are from the north, learn to tone down that upfront nature. Steer clear of politics if you are a democrat. Small talk is favored.

Lest you think Atlanta is awful....It's good points are that it is very pretty, and a 3 hour drive to the beach. Lots of flowers, trees, and other than Miami, it is probably the top cultural center in the South. It has more to offer in art and music than other southern areas, although it doesn't have the quality and 'vibe'. For example: the Atlanta Ballet sounds like thundering herd of elephants compared to travelling ballet companies performing on the same stage - but at least you GET the travelling companies . It is less expensive than northern areas or California, although prices are climbing steadily. (I love one other post on here that referred to southern housing (NC) as McMansions. Add to that Ken and Barbie and you have a perfect description.) And one lovely lovely benefit - winter is only two months, and the daylight hours are longer year round the closer you are to the equator.

If you like heat, small talk, barbeque grilling, fanatical conservatism, McMansions and beatiful green trees, you'll like Atlanta, otherwise - expect to stay indoors with the windows shut. If you like the outdoors, expect to travel an hour to other areas.

Traffic is about the same as NY. Neither one is good, and an hour commute each direction is likely.

By now, you're probably wondering why the heck I'm posting this in a Boston forum. Answer: I am actively seeking a job in the Northern parts so I can move. I've already sold the house. Just need the job. I have interview in Boston either 9/15 or 9/22. Wish me luck!!

I miss the rich soil, snow, coastline, grey fox, low bugs, cultural talent and richness, REAL pine trees, pro sports teams and the what-you-see-is-what-you-get attitude of people in the North. I expect to find that in Boston. (Am I wrong? )

I think I would really enjoy Boston. I do dread the darkness of the long winter months though....that part I don't miss. Any coping tips??

Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM

675 posts, read 2,677,143 times
Megabit-by what you have described, I think you will really like Boston. The people, the sports, the natural beauty, the weather (for the most part) sounds like a good fit. Best of luck on your interviews!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabit15 View Post
Oh my! I hear ya loud and clear. I moved from NY (Long Island) to Atlanta so I could live close to family. Turns out that I don't see them much, and talked with them more I lived in NY.

Atlanta is pretty - lots of flowers and trees and no gray dirt from snow plows...but due to shorter winter - lots and lots of bugs. BIG bugs - and many with wings. LOL. I used to love going outside in NY all the seasons - hiking, beach, outdoor gardening. Somehow, I always have to leave Atlanta to do those things!

In Atlanta the house has to be sealed shut from May-Sep due to bugs and heat. Think you can open the windows for a fresh spring breeze? Nope. Can't put screens on the windows because spiders are very tenacious in their weaving habits from April to October. And don't thnk that they don't scale up the sides of the building either! And the huge roaches with wings leave quite a splatter when squished. They come unannounced and uninvited despite the best effots of Terminix.

The heat - when you do find a shady spot to cool off (and Atlanta has many of these due to abundance of trees) - you will be covered in little biting ants. (Did I mention that this place is a exterminator's dream?). The heat seriously makes me weak physically. There is only so much clothes to take off...can always bundle up for the cold. There are precious few areas with sidewalks - haven't seen any in the suburbs. (Probably cause it's too friggin hot to walk). Car is absolute necessity - and they are EVERYWHERE.

Gardening? Think hard red clay - the smell sticks in the back of my throat and gags me. Have to really really work hard at enriching and turning the soil if you expect to grow anything but weeds.

Pro sports are largely unsupported except the Braves. I shudder when I think that the Atlanta Thrashers (hockey team) has a friggin Mascot! I try to tell then that there are no mascots in real hockey!!! But, they seem like their cartoon characters Expect to talk about college sports.

It is also hard to meet people here. I have travelled quite a bit of the US (consultant) and have had good success in California, Texas, Denver, Boston. Racism is a HUGE culture shock. You get it from both sides here. There are a lot of Barbie doll types. Don't even *think* of going to the store in sweats and sneakers unless it is a top name matching set. LOL.

Northerner's Social Survival Tips for the South: People are nice to your face, but watch out what they say behind your back. Recognizing and/or verbalizing unfavorable realities will be taken as direct criticism rather than conversation or observation. Must keep comments as compliments only. If you are from the north, learn to tone down that upfront nature. Steer clear of politics if you are a democrat. Small talk is favored.

Lest you think Atlanta is awful....It's good points are that it is very pretty, and a 3 hour drive to the beach. Lots of flowers, trees, and other than Miami, it is probably the top cultural center in the South. It has more to offer in art and music than other southern areas, although it doesn't have the quality and 'vibe'. For example: the Atlanta Ballet sounds like thundering herd of elephants compared to travelling ballet companies performing on the same stage - but at least you GET the travelling companies . It is less expensive than northern areas or California, although prices are climbing steadily. (I love one other post on here that referred to southern housing (NC) as McMansions. Add to that Ken and Barbie and you have a perfect description.) And one lovely lovely benefit - winter is only two months, and the daylight hours are longer year round the closer you are to the equator.

If you like heat, small talk, barbeque grilling, fanatical conservatism, McMansions and beatiful green trees, you'll like Atlanta, otherwise - expect to stay indoors with the windows shut. If you like the outdoors, expect to travel an hour to other areas.

Traffic is about the same as NY. Neither one is good, and an hour commute each direction is likely.

By now, you're probably wondering why the heck I'm posting this in a Boston forum. Answer: I am actively seeking a job in the Northern parts so I can move. I've already sold the house. Just need the job. I have interview in Boston either 9/15 or 9/22. Wish me luck!!

I miss the rich soil, snow, coastline, grey fox, low bugs, cultural talent and richness, REAL pine trees, pro sports teams and the what-you-see-is-what-you-get attitude of people in the North. I expect to find that in Boston. (Am I wrong? )

I think I would really enjoy Boston. I do dread the darkness of the long winter months though....that part I don't miss. Any coping tips??
Talk about insects ...... last summer I received 15 dear tick bites!!!! If you do a tick check everyday (from head to toe) you will not get lyme disease because they have to be on you for more that 36 hours. I didn't get it ..... thank goodness! I'm in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts