U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,635 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm a clinical social worker and my wife and I are actively considering moving to the area, where I can practice in a much (time) modified manner, and also conduct yoga and yoga therapy classes for people 50+ (we are in our 60s). Can forum members tell us about the area - its culture, the life of its people, as well as suggest towns to live in? There are plenty of questions we have about this gorgeous part of New England, but I'd like to hear from the Community. Many thanks, in advance, from Bill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 AM

746 posts, read 3,400,007 times
Hi Bill - I am sorry nobody answered you yet, and here I have been posting about North Adams in a number of related threads. North Adams, being one of the lowest income cities in Massachusetts, is very affordable, and has numerous social service agencies. Whether they are offering jobs, I am not sure. The North Adams Transcript or Berkshire Eagle would carry wantads and are both online.

Of course, the interesting thing is that the closing of the mills and factories that decimated the town's employment prospects a decade or two ago has also opened up possibilities for the innovative and adventerous. The artists are moving in, and there is a larger than usual retired community - the Spitzer Center is very active, (van service, hot lunch program, meals on wheels) and the City supports the elderly with everything from exercise classes to mall outings and "lunch with Archie".

One thing that is rarely mentioned in North Adams reports is that there is a hospital here that is in the midst of expanding and upgrading. The GPs are still overwhelmed however and carry very high patient loads.

The churches in town still actively work to alleviate the problems of hunger, and there is Berkshire SHARE and other grocery programs that try to assure all families have enough. I am retired, and with one call was able to get two big guys to move a 200# tv for me. No charge.

So I hope this gives you a flavor of the place from a social services viewpoint.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,070 times
Default good to know

Hi..I will be living in No.Adams in 2 weeks...is there a water spring source near by? Who can I call to help e ,a senior,move my stuff from my car when I arrive at 611 state st in No.Adams??
appreciate help.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,209,175 times
If you don't have to commute out of North Adams but can live pretty much within the town, it's OK--pretty much unto itself and a step back in time. If you are commuting from there it is quite isolated, getting there and out of there is a trek. I do like the proximity to Williamstown--Williams College and its fabulous art museum and theater, the wonderful Clark Art Museum and its lovely grounds, Jacobs Pillow Dance Festival and of course Tanglewood, summer home of the Boston Symphony. North Adams has lots of arts notably MassMoca. I had considered living there at one time but realized it's in too isolated a part of the state for my own needs.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM

746 posts, read 3,400,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochellea View Post
Hi..I will be living in No.Adams in 2 weeks...is there a water spring source near by? Who can I call to help e ,a senior,move my stuff from my car when I arrive at 611 state st in No.Adams??
appreciate help.
You might try contacting

Berkshire Community Action Council
85 Main Street
North Adams, MA
Tel: 413.663.3014

or

Council on Aging
Mary Spitzer Center
116 Ashland Street
North Adams, MA 01247
Tel. 413-662-3125

Moving help is not the usual sort of request they get but be patient, and persistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts