Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,307 times

Advertisements

As proud new owners of an overpriced bugalow in Sharon, my first thought has turned to what I'd like to change about it. I've some pretty major changes in mind, including changing stairs, adding sq footage, rearranging room locations. Which leads me to numerous questions..

Whom does one hire for those sort of design plans?

How does one save money on such extensive repairs?

The house is seriously in need of an update, as most 86 year old houses would be, but given that I overpaid a bit for the house and expect to keep it about 12 years (until the youngest graduates), how do I balance the amount I paid vice the cost of repairs to update it? I want to be able to sell it when it's time, but I want to make changes that will make it more appealing in the end, as well.

Any advice or referrals from the more seasoned home-owners would be faboo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
If you are going to do extensive work like that and have done right, I would suggest an interior designer or an architect. I have seen people waste 75K for a kitchen renovation (hiring general contractor to do the work) that looked like cr8ps.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Totally agree about a designer or architect. It will cost you upfront but a long term comprehensive plan is needed and in the end, will probably end up saving you from costly mistakes. Ask neighbors and friends in town for recommendations. Since you have a 12 year plan, , it's important not to over-improve. Moving stairs etc. can be expensive and might not get your the return you would want to see- a good designer or architect could advise you on better ways to spend your renovation budget. The best way to save money is to tackle some projects yourself. Things like, painting and landscaping can be done by even a novice with some practice and inspiration. Garden club sales are a great place to get plants that do well in your particular area and members are usually quite eager to share their expertise. Finally, drive around, find elements you like on other similar homes and adapt those ideas to your own home. Congratulations on your purchase.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,770 times
Friends of ours recently did a whole house remodel using a design/build firm. I don't know which one, but I think the concept of the designer and contractor working under the same umbrella makes a lot of sense. I know that sometimes even if you hire an architect or designer that sometimes communication between them and the contractor can be suboptimal. It might not be the cheapest option out there, though.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM

110 posts, read 316,331 times
I visited too many houses where the additions were done without much design consideration, where the owners went for the low hanging fruit, adding a full bathroom where a kitchen pantry must have been, converting garage into a room, finishing a basement with 6.5' ceiling, converting attic into a death trap office, and so on. Sometimes it is better to sell and buy a bigger house, and let someone else do a more wholesale remodel or tear down.
It is not the New England way, but I wish it was so.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
My sister-in-law recently remodeled and added on to her home. She did not hire an architect/designer and it totally looks like it. There's absolutely no flow. They basically came up with their ideas and it looks like Dr. Seuss attacked a Cape. They put their garage at basement level with NOTHING above it! It has a roof you can walk onto from the yard. Looks like an idiot did it from the outside and inside isn't much better. I hope she plans on living there until she dies and then leaves it to her kids because no one would pay for it. They'd need to do so much demo and reworking it to make it look right again. Save yourself the headache! There's nothing cheap about home ownership and construction unless you live in a tent.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM

170 posts, read 446,564 times
There are two things that are usually recommended. One, live in the house for a while before you start renovating. See how you live and what changes seem like obvious benefits for the way you live in the space. Two, keep an eye on the neighborhood. Don't do anything too much more than comparable houses in your area. I frequently check real estate websites or go into open houses to see what sorts of materials others are using in their remodels or to see how much houses are selling for if they have a "bad" kitchen. It might help you know what is enough of a renovation without doing too much. As others have said, you'll also get a sense of what a poor renovation looks like and will hopefully be able to avoid making the same mistake!

We did some work to our home in another state and started with a general contractor who came highly recommended. We had him do some minor work on the house before turning him loose on the bigger kitchen project. It was not pleasant. I had a bad feeling about using them for a large project that would require lots more work and a lot of time in our home. Finally, we had them finish the smaller stuff and cut them loose. We ended up working with an architecture firm and had a very pleasant experience, even though we probably paid more money than we needed to. But we have none of the horror stories, the design was done well, and the finished project is something that we are happy with. Depending on your personality, the fewer headaches may be worth a little extra money at the beginning.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
There are two things that are usually recommended. One, live in the house for a while before you start renovating. See how you live and what changes seem like obvious benefits for the way you live in the space. Two, keep an eye on the neighborhood. Don't do anything too much more than comparable houses in your area. I frequently check real estate websites or go into open houses to see what sorts of materials others are using in their remodels or to see how much houses are selling for if they have a "bad" kitchen. It might help you know what is enough of a renovation without doing too much. As others have said, you'll also get a sense of what a poor renovation looks like and will hopefully be able to avoid making the same mistake!
IMO this is great advice. If you can stand to live there for a year before doing anything, it'll really help you decide what you need to do and what you can live with. If you're looking to be there 12 years, you may want to focus on renovations that truly add value to the home.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
Depend on the OP budget; $100,000 would probably get everything spanking new in and out.

I have a neighbor who did a complete tear down. Build a two level home for $160K (including tear down cost). Two years later, they added a two level addition for another $86K. It looks like a well build home. The addition looks seamless. A top end build is probably double the price though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts