Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 22,337 times

Advertisements

Short background first: I grew up in Rhode Island, and when I was 16, my family moved to Arizona (something about "wanting a change of pace"). I'm staying out here for journalism school right now, but I'd like to move back once I get my degree in two years. Preferably, I'd like to live in Massachusetts to find a job in Boston.

I haven't been back in years, and the last time I was there I was relatively young, so I'm not sure of which towns would be most ideal to my situation. Preferably, I'd like to be in a small town that's:

-Within half an hour to an hour of the beach
-Within an hour of Rhode Island to visit family
-Within an hour of Boston

I hope I'm not being too picky , but are there such towns in MA? Which is the best in your opinion? And on the off chance, does anyone happen to work for a news company that knows if Boston is thriving in that area or not? Any feedback is welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Most all of Massachusetts will fit your requirements. You need to narrow it down a bit.

As for news companies no I do not know of any. I believe it is a tough business.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 AM

49 posts, read 158,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaisOf_Fire91 View Post
Preferably, I'd like to be in a small town that's:

-Within half an hour to an hour of the beach
-Within an hour of Rhode Island to visit family
-Within an hour of Boston
Just about anywhere in Southshore (part of greater Boston that's south/southeast of Boston, generally outside the Rt-128 loop) will meet all of your requirements. But if you want to work in Boston, you'll probably want to be more like within 40min from Boston (at least if it were me). Beach-wise, it's nothing like California... but Nantasket Beach is one of the better ones around Boston, and it's by Hingham which is a nice place with small-town feel that's convenient to Boston (15min drive to Quincy Adams T stop, then you can hop on the Red Line that takes you directly into downtown Boston), although Hingham itself may not have a lot of rentals/apartment options.

Going further infland, places like Milton, Canton and Sharon should all work for you. If you don't mind not being in a small town setting, Quincy would be very convenient in terms of the commute to Boston (has T running through and it's close to the city) and in terms of many nice apartment options. In Southshore, there are blue-collar type towns (Brockton, Randolph, Stoughton) scattered amongst nicer upper-middle class towns like Canton and Sharon, so that is something you'll need to bear in mind.

All of these places will be less than an hour from Providence. Cape Cod has nicer beaches than Nantasket, and Cape Cod is not that far from all of these Southshore cities.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
The news business is staggering in all its forms.
I suggest the OP consider trying really hard to get a related job in a smaller market before trying for a big-city first job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts