Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,401,433 times

Advertisements

Hi again
I have seen that Thai restaurant you mentioned and we will have to go there next time we come, probably later this month. I had heard that Worcester has lots of nice restaurants, great, we like to eat out . That is one thing we have lots of in the DC area, ethnic food, so I KNOW I am spoiled. We will be meeting a realtor here to talk about selling our house next week and I am hoping the market here isn't totally flat. We'd like to move this year, if it doesn't work out, next spring. The sooner - the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 12,675 times
Leicester is getting a Super Walmart in the very near future. I think an Olive Garden, too. Nice rural town with decent house prices. With the planned Walmart, should see alot of growth in the near future.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Relocator, let's just hope that this "Wal-Mart growth" doesn't kill off all of the town's "mom-and-pop" charm, as it has done to smaller downtowns here in the Keystone State. If you want to see just how this "beneficial growth" affected a formerly-thriving city, come to my hometown of Pittston, PA---A literal ghost town now surrounded by McMansions, strip malls, and upcoming "big-box" stores. Be careful what you wish for, my friend! I saw a lot of thriving, gorgeous, quaint downtown districts while visiting MA, and I wouldn't want them to suddenly evaporate as the idiots in town shunned Main Street and gave into Wal-Mart's "everyday low prices!" If you think Leicester can support both "big-box" development AND small-town charm, then by all means support this project, but if these new stores will do nothing but leech off of "mom-and-pop", then you may want to curb your enthusiasm.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,518,024 times
That area is fine, you should be happy there. Most of the whining, and a lot of it is legit or based in real issues (big dig, the MA pike tolls which have paid for the pike about a billion times already but won't come down...,etc...). Also outside of Boston, you'll experience the quaint New England towns, quite, peaceful, family oriented.

Incidentally I left Boston about 2 weeks ago
But if you like the area and can make the cost of living adjustments (particularly coming from DC/MD which is on par or may be worse in terms of housing costs) you should be happy.

Just don't get caught in Red Sox fever in August (of next year). Once you catch it, you can't shake it...

Best of luck.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:26 AM

180 posts, read 732,142 times
Mike, How are you watching the SOX now? Directv? Dish?

Old 09-08-2006, 06:39 AM

439 posts, read 712,810 times
Climate wise Boston is a USDA Zone 6/7. Plymouth is a zone 7 as is Providence RI Fall River and New Bedford, Cape Anne/Gloucester and Cape Cod- meaning the lowest average temp. in the winter is around 0.

Central MA -Springfield, Northhampton Worcester and north central PA Wilkes Barre to Scranton are a zone 6-
Harrisburg and York in southern PA are a zone 7.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 AM

180 posts, read 732,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Climate wise Boston is a USDA Zone 6/7. Plymouth is a zone 7 as is Providence RI Fall River and New Bedford, Cape Anne/Gloucester and Cape Cod- meaning the lowest average temp. in the winter is around 0.

Central MA -Springfield, Northhampton Worcester and north central PA Wilkes Barre to Scranton are a zone 6-
Harrisburg and York in southern PA are a zone 7.
actually here is the zone chart, central Ma. is zone 5b

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/scottinmass/hzm-ne1.jpg (broken link)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/scottinmass/zones77.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 PM

439 posts, read 712,810 times
That is the old zone map
check out the updated one at http://www.arborday.org/

scott- there is something called global warming-although I know for a bay stater you are right wing-
you are ashamed of the states liberal laws on gay marriage and rights- as I am sure you are just as negative about the reality and science about carbon based fuels fouling our air

oh well....

Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Mike, How are you watching the SOX now? Directv? Dish?
Ohhh, a sore spot Scott
I've watched the Red Sox on HDTV at a friends house in Woburn. MAN!!! You can see the different shades of the blades of grass! The discoloration in the hard hats...It's awesome. But while I have an HDTV I don't have the HD service from Comcast.

However I just completed my DirecTV order for NC, and got the NFL Sunday ticket pass...Can't wait to watch the Pats, Panthers, and Redskins (my wifes team) in HDTV!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
That is the old zone map
check out the updated one at http://www.arborday.org/

scott- there is something called global warming-although I know for a bay stater you are right wing-
you are ashamed of the states liberal laws on gay marriage and rights- as I am sure you are just as negative about the reality and science about carbon based fuels fouling our air

oh well....
Woah! Where'd the come from????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts