Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,930 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any experience with the following: Berlin, Boylston, West Boylston?

We are looking for something nearer to 495 that is not hugely expensive. Right now we are in the western part of worcester county and it's very remote. We travel to Boston a lot and it's getting prohibitive. We work in Holden and that's a long commute too. We are late 30's, no kids, prefer the country, and not afraid to do a little fixer-uppering. Price range is low to mid $300's.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM

143 posts, read 485,412 times
I haven't seen the prices up there since we left last year, but Berlin may be more difficult to find property in your price range, as they have a large minimum lot size (or at least they did).
Also think Northborough (where I grew up), Westborough, Bolton, Hudson (around Lake Boon is more rural than the downtown area). The commute on 495 is getting worse with the passage of time; I will assume that you want convenience to Boston for spare-time pursuits. I know that Northborough is about 20 miles from Holden, and you can do a fair amount of that distance on 290 from any of the towns I've mentioned (with a brief run down 495).
Clinton is also a possibility, as is Lancaster (closer to 190).

Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
My in-laws lived in Berlin for several years and we loved it there. Very quiet, small town yet easy access to 495/290. There's not much for services in town but it's near enough to the mall for shopping. I'm not really sure where they went grocery shopping, probably Clinton, which I think is a rather depressing place but I love Berlin. It's nice to see places where there are still open fields and horses, though I'm sure they will have some new developments there like everywhere else.

A few weeks ago I saw a cute little Cape there for sale around $300K. Please PM if you'd like the #. It looked like it might need a bit of work but it's on a huge lot 1.5 acres I believe). Boylston is also a nice place to live, pretty neighborhoods and such.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Have you considered Shrewsbury or Westborough?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Both Shrewsbury & Westboro are lovely towns but neither of them really have a country feel. Sadly, Westboro has become incredibly overcrowded and will only become moreso once the new development goes in near downtown.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Oops, I missed the part where the OP said they like the country. So that would rule out Shrewsbury & Westborough. Parts of Northborough may work, and maybe Berlin or Bolton?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl69 View Post
Anybody have any experience with the following: Berlin, Boylston, West Boylston?

We are looking for something nearer to 495 that is not hugely expensive. Right now we are in the western part of worcester county and it's very remote. We travel to Boston a lot and it's getting prohibitive. We work in Holden and that's a long commute too. We are late 30's, no kids, prefer the country, and not afraid to do a little fixer-uppering. Price range is low to mid $300's.

Thanks!
What about Grafton? It's not too far from the Mass Pike and then you can pick up 495?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 14,930 times
Thanks all --

Grafton's nice but a little too far from work (Holden). Shrewsbury and points east are really built up so that's not for us. Clinton and Lancaster I have looked at but as someone else said they're kinda depressing. I really like either the Boylstons or Berlin; however you don't get much house for your money in any of those places! We have an 8-room, 2-story colonial w/2 full baths and 1.5 acres that we paid $275K for out in the sticks here, so trading that for a little cape would really feel like a bad deal. Personally I would like to get a nice old Victorian and fix it up, somewhere out nearer 190/290. I have thought of Princeton and Sterling too, any thoughts on those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts