Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,618 times

Advertisements

We have just sold our home in Takoma Park, MD (an extremely liberal close-in suburb of DC) and are looking for a new home town in the Boston burbs. But we are having a hard time narrowing our search.

We have two small children so family friendly, safety, and good schools are key. We like to be able to walk around our neighborhood... On sidewalks... To town, parks, playgrounds, etc. We have just spent years doing a long commute so simple, preferably walking, access to mbta is important (we currently have no commute--husband works at home and I am a stay-at- homer--but know this may not be true forever and we like being able to go out in the city). We would also appreciate not being too far away from goods and services, i.e. We do not want to be cut off from the world. Worldly, interesting neighbors would be a plus!

We enjoy the idea of being near the water, but this is not a requirement. We have been considering Hingham and Cohasset on the south shore and Swampscott on the north shore. To the west, we have been advised to look into Natick, Needham, and Norwood. Thoughts/suggestions/ideas about what might be the best fit for us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
You didn't mention a price range.

I don't think you will find too many sidewalks in Hingham or Cohasset but they are very nice towns.

North of Boston, Marblehead, Reading and Winchester might have what you are looking for. A lot will depend on your budget.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:29 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,677 times
My top picks would be:
- Hingham & Cohasset to the south - beautiful communities, lovely beaches
- Marblehead on the north shore - very nice, tons to do, but also a tourist destination in the summer. The only negative I hear about Marblehead is people say it's not as easy to get in and out of than some other communities.
- Concord to the north but inland - wonderful historic center, great library, arts community, trails, community events, historic sites, etc. Very charming. Good train access to Boston.
- Needham & Wellesley to the west - very pretty communities, easy access to Boston by car or train. The home lots tend to be a little smaller compared to some neighboring towns. Good walkability to shops, restaurants, etc. Pretty parks nearby for hiking, kayaking, etc.

These all have very well regarded public schools, good places to walk to, pretty communities, and are very family friendly. They are also rather pricey but I'm sure folks can chime in here if you have a sense of the budget you're looking in.

I don't know that Natick would really offer what you're looking for. I've shown newcomers around there and get a mixed reaction. It does have some walking access more than some of the other burbs, but in my opinion it lacks the charm of a place like Concord or Wellesley, but then again it's not as expensive either.

You can find lots of info on these communities - and community videos - on YouTube, or by googling terms like "living in Concord, living in Wellesley, etc" to find pictures, community descriptions, etc.

I hope that's helpful! :-)

Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I feel like I'm always pitching Newburyport but I just love it! Artsy, walkable Dickens-like brick streets with old fashioned street lights, worldly, and it has Plum Island for a beach. They have a train. MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Newburyport/Rockport Line

Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 10,618 times
Thanks, all, for your thoughts and suggestions. We would be looking to buy something at between $550k and $600k.

I love Marblehead but have been worried about it's access to the city. We will certainly take a look at Concord. And Newburyport sounds great, but isn't it sort of a hike to Boston?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM

130 posts, read 275,320 times
If you like rolling hills than try Hamilton/Wenham which is only 10 minutes away from Beverly Farm and Manchester. Is school district important to you?

Walking distance to MTA which takes about 35-40 minutes into Boston.
27 Walnut Rd, Hamilton, MA 01982 | MLS# 71219051
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts