U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 28,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I think you've got it totally backwards.
I'll trade my house in MA for yours in Cali any day.
Absolutely! Mine too. Actually I would even trade my 5b 3b with basement and attic in MA for a smaller one in CA no basement, no attic, smaller yard, whatever, just give me the nice sunshine and nicer people, I will trade it any day . We are trying to get out of here as fast as we can, it just takes a while, that feels like forever.
And yes the schoold system is a lot better in MA, but we will do private schools. And the fashion trends, ?? stores sell the same exact stuff East than West. It is your choice to buy this or that.
Now if in order to get out of your driveway you have to shovel ice and snow for 6 hours , that is NOT a choice, and yes we had a machine 'take' the snow with a plow but what they left was worse than the help. I much rather spend the weekend biking, hiking, walking outside than shoveling ice.
The people around here are bitter, and I understand why, I would be too if I didn't had a way out.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM

123 posts, read 416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Yup, Cali-PHONY! (though I've found that a lot of Manhattanites are similar).

What I've found most absurd about CA is the completely superficial though omnipresent fixation on appearance and fashion. The attitude permeates everything, and it's found amongst young and old. They must really think we New Englanders are hideous troglodytes! .....)
All it takes is one episode of the Laguna Beach "reality" show on MTV to come to that realization.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM

909 posts, read 2,992,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I'm afraid you probably can't fix either of these problems by moving. All the high school and college girls I see dress like streetwalkers used to, and the sense of entitlement that my students have is, well, discouraging.
Well, high school and college, I think that's another age phase. But late elementary and junior is what makes me cringe. When I looked at the back of a 6th grade girl, I don't want to see her (bikini) underwear because her pants are too low. And I particularly don't want to see it at church!

Do you teach at a private school? I taught at a private girls school for years, and while many of the kids were just great, enough of them had such an annoying attitude "I should get that just because I should! Besides, my parents can afford it!" Maybe if we moved to an area with more socioeconomic diversity, it wouldn't be such a problem. Is there such a town in suburban Boston?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 22,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I think you've got it totally backwards.
I'll trade my house in MA for yours in Cali any day.
I agree! I'd love to live in Cali, I love it there! This is coming from a girl in MA

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,766,067 times
Connkid,

I moved from NJ/NY to MA seven years ago and was writhing in pain from culture shock. I won't go into the gory details, but in retrospect I blame it on the town we chose to move to instead of the entire state. We moved a few years ago to a town that is a much better fit for us and voila, I don't walk around muttering about m*******s anymore.

Plus, I lowered my expectations of people pretty massively, and that helped ALOT. "My serenity rises in inverse proportion to my expectations."

Another thing I had to remember was that I could move, but I'd still have to bring myself along....

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,170,081 times
California kid here..moved to Ma. on two seperate ocassions as a wife and mother and much prefer it to Ca. It was I that mentioned "Let's do lunch" and the infamous, "I'll call you". The biggest difference for me between the two states is the importance of education and the highly educated population that exists here compared to Ca. It is superficial. Even the palm trees are unnaturally grown there. The entertainment industry is the cornerstone of the state and has a huge migration of people coming and going. Rare to find anyone born in Ca. It happens, but not very often that you will find a true native. I have a much higher opinion of Northern Ca. because I spent many months there with my brother that went to U.C. Berkeley and then moved back after graduating from Cornell. If I had to move back up north is where I would go.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM

6,028 posts, read 7,870,301 times
I was born and spent my early lifei n Brockton, then we move north to Avon where I stayed until the age of reason.
Then it was off to Boston.
The one thing that sticks in my mind is the "snootyness" of the Bostonians.
I never liked their uppity nature of always being socially correct.
I have lived here in So Cal since 1971, and have NEVER experienced the type of people many of you have discribed, living here.
The one big difference I notice in the two regions with respect to the people is that we Californians have more money, and free time to spend it,and countless numbers of stores with high end merchandise that proably makes the adverage New englander a bit jealous.
Many of us drive upscale vehicles, loaded to the hilt, not so much as a status symbol but, more because they are readily available,and fit the bill for our driving needs.
It is a whole different situation here in California.
There is no other place like it in the world.
Obviously someone must like it alot better than where thery came from.
The population has tripled in the last few years.
One other thing, some of you mentioned you couldn't take to the california people,that they were unfriendly.
Remember, most of the California peole you meet here have migrated from somewhere else, and New England is one of those places.
The last time I visited Ma was 1980, and I don't ever intend to be there again.
I am one very content Californian and, you can't beat our beautiful climate.
Bob.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,170,081 times
Since you are from here Bob, you should know that many people here have more money than they know what to do with but do not see the need to advertise it by what they drive and what they wear, plus they do not spend their lives in cars like in California. Just a different outlook on what is really important to people and being austintagious is not a New England characteristic, good taste is. You will find a whole lot less foreclosures here than in Ca. because those that have money do not spend it on frivolous things but instead are very smart about it. California's population increases primarily because of illegals and having babies along with the dreamers that want to be famous in the movies. I am happy that you like California and I am happy that I left.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM

7,855 posts, read 11,844,976 times
I don't know why this thread was even posted in this forum since it is mostly about Ct. vs. CA., let alone know why it has been revived since there hadn't been any replies in 10 months.

Time to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or