Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 44,615 times

Advertisements

Help! A month ago we put our house on the market and yesterday we got an offer. After negotiation we verbally agreed on a price. All of the negotiations took place over the phone through our selling agent.

After a sleepless night, my husband and I have decided that we no longer want to sell (yes I know - why didn’t we think of that earlier?). Anyway, at this point, we have not signed the offer. Can we back out without penalty? What kind of consequences could that be (beside the seller and his agent hate us)? Yes we are going to talk to an attorney tomorrow, and yes we plan to compensate our agent because he did a tremendous job. I just wonder if anyone out there knows anything about the legal implications and could share some insight. Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
If the P&S was not signed by both parties, then you can back of the deal free and clear- no legal implications at all.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 44,615 times
That would be nice. Thanks for replying! I read from somewhere that if the agents find a buyer that meets your criteria then you need to pay the fee. Could the seller agent and the buyer agent say that they found us a buyer (although not the full price) and therefore we owe them the full commission?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
No- they cannot since there was no P&S signed. You have the right to NOT sell. However- I would read over any agreement you have with your agent regarding stipulations. You may owe them an hourly rate for their time to date..

Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Real estate transactions require a WRITTEN contract (unlike transactions for personal goods, which only require an oral contract). You can back out w/o any legal implications w/the would-be-buyers. As for the real estate agent, they can collect their finders fee if you back out only if they bring you someone who is willing to pay FULL ASKING price. So you don't have to pay them either. From what you're telling us, it looks like you're only obligated to pay your listing agent the advertising/listing fees that they incurred out of pocket, which should be a couple hundred bucks.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeomatic View Post
That would be nice. Thanks for replying! I read from somewhere that if the agents find a buyer that meets your criteria then you need to pay the fee. Could the seller agent and the buyer agent say that they found us a buyer (although not the full price) and therefore we owe them the full commission?
That language in the listing agreement is there to protect the broker from people who, for whatever strange reason, are not really interested in selling but just like the attention of having strangers traipse through their house. If a seller makes too many objections and continues to refuse to sign contracts where their selling criteria have been meet, ie price, ability to close, any contingencies negotiated, and time lines to name a few, the broker has the ability to declare the seller is not acting in good faith and demand payment of the listing fee upon termination of the listing period. In all likelihood, they would have to sue for this in court and I don't know many brokers who want to be known for suing their clients.

It is there for leverage against clients that are chronic time wasters, not for someone who decides that a specific deal is not quite right. I wouldn't worry about that. Just tell them that you have thought more on the deal and regret making a snap verbal decision, and then continue the negotiations if they are still willing to work with you.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeomatic View Post
Help! A month ago we put our house on the market and yesterday we got an offer. After negotiation we verbally agreed on a price. All of the negotiations took place over the phone through our selling agent.

After a sleepless night, my husband and I have decided that we no longer want to sell (yes I know - why didn’t we think of that earlier?). Anyway, at this point, we have not signed the offer. Can we back out without penalty? What kind of consequences could that be (beside the seller and his agent hate us)? Yes we are going to talk to an attorney tomorrow, and yes we plan to compensate our agent because he did a tremendous job. I just wonder if anyone out there knows anything about the legal implications and could share some insight. Appreciate it!
Yes, if it's not in writing, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts