Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,869 times

Advertisements

I am considering a position at a company located in Boston near the charles MGH on the T. I was hoping to get some advice on some potential communities to live in.

Criteria:
- Single family home, 1,500-2,000 ft., <$400k
- Two children, so schools are very important
- We like trees and green space
- It is nice to have a small downtown/village
- <45 minutes door-to-door
- Will consider driving in, train or T

My wife works near Nashua so north shore is out (swampscott, etc).

Thanks
Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think any town you would choose would have to be a decent commute by train, because I don't think there's any place at all where you could have a 45-minute drive to the Charles/MGH area during normal business hours.
Maybe Acton? Commuter train to Porter, Red Line to Charles. Should be able to find something in your price range, given it's apparent you're open to a "smaller" house (at least by current suburban standards).

Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,454 times
I second the rec for Acton. Perhaps Arlington and Winchester would be worth a look, too. Redfin.com is a great site to get a quick idea of what might be out there in your price range. If you aren't finding what you like in those towns, Melrose and Wakefield would be worth looking at. The schools are good (though a notch down from the other towns mentioned) but there will be a lot more in your price range. Plus, you can take the commuter rail reasonably easily into North Station or drive to an orange line stop and take the orange line to N. Station (MGH is a short walk from N. Station - 10 minutes perhaps, or there's a free shuttle for MGH employees)

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
You're not going to find something that meets all of your requirements. You can get within 45 minutes but it's going to cost more than $400K, or you can keep it under $400K but it's going to take much more than 45 minutes.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
You could find something in Natick and then be able to take the train from Natick to South Station, then switch to the Red Line to get the Charles/MGH. If you get the express train your commute would be within 45 minutes.

Natick is a nice suburb with a walkable town center that includes a town common that has a farmer's market & various community events, a handful of restaurants, a yoga studio & about half a dozen shops. There are lots of great trails/parks in and nearby to Natick (Elm Bank, Broadmore, etc) plus Lake Cochituate.

Here are some links to school info:
The Best Public Schools in Boston 2011: In the Classroom
GreatSchools.org Search: natick

And the MBTA site to show you the routes/timing:
MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps
Red Line Subway Information, Schedules, Stops, and Maps

Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
I also wonder if Andover is worth considering since your wife works near Nashua? It's a great town, very well regarded schools, nice little town center, lots of parks & trails. I don't imagine the drive would be great but maybe a better split of commutes. Anyhow, just a thought! :-)

Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,869 times
Default reset

thank yo everyone for great responses! I'm resetting expectations around commute, 45 minutes to middle of the City is not going to happen. I would still like to try and keep it reasonable.

So had looked at a couple cities which I can take to North station and walk to MGH, or I could drive to Alwife and take redline.

Looking at MLS listing in:
Lynnfield
Arlington
Bedford
Reading

what do people think of these for commutes to city, homes under 400k, schools, etc.?

Thanks!
Chuck

Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I live in Lynnfield. It's a decent location for commuting to Boston and Nashua and the schools are top notch, but you're not going to get much house for under $400K. If you could stretch to $500K you would be in a better spot.

You might consider Burlington and Wilmington as a decent compromise.

that you would actually want to put your family in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts