Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live?
Worcester 30 56.60%
Lowell 23 43.40%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:38 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Lowell technically has more diversity as percentage (barely) thanks to the huge number of Cambodians residing there, but Worcester has far greater breadth and sheer numbers. I think I see far more African-Americans/Afro-Caribbeans/Africans on single night out in Worcester than I did in my 6 years of living in Lowell - it's simply south Asian-biased versus white-biased. Does that make it more diverse? Eh, I don't really think so.

IMO, I find Worcester feels more diverse thanks to the influx of Eastern Europeans/Balkans, greater diversity among Asians (it has more mainland Chinese), Africans of various origins, central and south Americans, etc. Additionally, the high concentration of higher ed and med workers adds the presence of diversity, even if they do not reside in the city. In contrast, Lowell feels like it's primarily Cambodian/Vietnamese, with a sprinkling of hispanics and some white kids from U-Lowell.
Lowell is 20% Hispanic Worcester is about 22% Hispanic. Worcester is blacker and whiter but much much less Asian. I think the diversity of Umass Lowell is also felt pretty thoroughly. In addition to this because Cambodians are such a small niche ethnicity in the us-I think it makes Lowell very unique. Yes Worcester has Eastern Europeans etc but I can’t speak much to that. The city is still majority white and having any group be over half the population makes A case for diversity a little weak compared to any city that has no majority. Also Worcester’s suburbs and other towns it had connections too are so overwhelmingly white compared to the more diverse/Hispanic Merrimack Valley and northeastern MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lowell is 20% Hispanic Worcester is about 22% Hispanic. Worcester is blacker and whiter but much much less Asian. I think the diversity of Umass Lowell is also felt pretty thoroughly. In addition to this because Cambodians are such a small niche ethnicity in the us-I think it makes Lowell very unique. Yes Worcester has Eastern Europeans etc but I can’t speak much to that. The city is still majority white and having any group be over half the population makes A case for diversity a little weak compared to any city that has no majority. Also Worcester’s suburbs and other towns it had connections too are so overwhelmingly white compared to the more diverse/Hispanic Merrimack Valley and northeastern MA.
Worcester doesn't simply have more Eastern Europeans, it has more of everyone excluding south Asians - more African-Americans, Afro-Caribbeans, Africans (mainly Ghana/Kenya), various Middle-eastern and Balkan peoples, Greeks (though Lowell, Dracut still have a fair amount of old-timers), etc. You seem to have focused on the Eastern-European bit because you hold some belief that Worcester is super-white, when the evidence overwhelmingly suggests otherwise.

Additionally, I think you're undercutting the diversity of towns like Marlborough, Shrewsbury, etc. Most on this forum would be shocked to know Marlborough is actually more diverse than Haverhill or Lawrence, but that's the reality ... it's less white than Haverhill, and Lawrence is simply a majority Hispanic city with very little Asian or African representation ... that is NOT diversity, that's a homogeneous population. Leominster and Fitchburg, which are to Worcester as Lawrence/Haverill are Lowell, are also more diverse than either Haverhill or Lawrence.

I understand where this concept of Worcester county being super white comes from, with towns like Princeton, Bolton, Sterling, etc. ... large lots with primarily SFHs and overwhelming white residents ... but the reality is the immediate 'burbs and neighboring urban areas are indeed diverse. The only areas more diverse are Boston, Prov/southshore, and maybe the greater Springfield CSA.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 PM

I do agree that Lowell's Cambodian population is unique and adds an interesting, and in my opinion as a former res, positive dimension. I have a great deal of respect for the community and their contributions to the city. Also no complaints on the abundant south-Asian restaurants.

This said, I don't think Lowell feels more diverse, it simple feels more south-Asian dominant. Despite the city's strong Hispanic populous, they were not really well represented in the food and culture front. The only other notable cultural contributions were the last legs of the Greek/Polish population, but that was/is very much in the 4th quarter.

From a purely food and community events standpoint, IMO, Worcester feels more diverse at all levels of the social-economic spectrum.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:18 AM

1,044 posts, read 685,680 times
What I find especially appealing about Worcester is the fact that you can buy a reasonably affordable single family home within the city limits. That's a bit more challenging in Lowell.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
What I find especially appealing about Worcester is the fact that you can buy a reasonably affordable single family home within the city limits. That's a bit more challenging in Lowell.
You've highlighted the core difference between Worcester and Lowell. Lowell functions in some capacity as a 'bedroom community' for the Nashua/95/Boston job markets, where as Worcester's housing is largely tied to the Worcester job market. They're priced accordingly.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:02 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
It's getting more challenging in Worcester too.

What was $125k houses in 2019 are $250k houses today.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 PM

1,044 posts, read 685,680 times
Still cheaper than a single family in Lowell. Lowell has some affordable condos, but Worcester is a much more suburban city with more single family houses.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:55 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You've highlighted the core difference between Worcester and Lowell. Lowell functions in some capacity as a 'bedroom community' for the Nashua/95/Boston job markets, where as Worcester's housing is largely tied to the Worcester job market. They're priced accordingly.
Lowell has a pretty significant daytime population increase actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts