Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 PM

234 posts, read 627,078 times

Advertisements

Here's a little background: I'm from out of state, my husband was raised on the south shore (Norwell) and we live in Weymouth. We have some relatives that live right around the corner. We've lived here for 7.5 years now and we bought this house just a year after I was out of college, now we have two little kids. It's been good- nice neighbors, good location, etc. But...

We are looking for something different in a few years. Like I said, we like where we are, we've had no problems, we've made some good friends here who at the same place we are in our lives, but when it comes to the town in general we are looking to be amongst people who are more similar to us education and interest-wise. My husband will be done with his doctorate in a couple of years and we will be in a position to move out of our house. We feel we are lacking a social aspect to our lives in which we'd like to meet new people and, say, go on a weekend trip with some friends who can afford to do so. We're not rich or anything, but we could take a weekend trip without breaking the bank. Do you know what I mean? We'd also like to be in a place that is more "cultural", as my work focuses on the arts.

I'm thinking we might make the jump back into the city, but we don't want to have to rely on Boston public schools, so Brookline seems to be a natural default (close to my husbands work, closer to south shore family than somewhere like Cambridge). I know the schools are good, but they're also crowded. There as even an article about it recently, wish I could find it right now.

So, any suggestions for places for a "young" family with two children who will be in elementary school (need good schools) has an art community, higher percentage of college educated population overall and (and this is a big AND) and isn't considered "snooty"? We'd also like to be in a place where we will be welcomed as newcomers. I have found that other people who are transplants welcome transplants. Also, not a horrible commute to the Prudential/Fenway area.

Thanks so much for any advice! I feel like I know the Greater Boston area very well, but you never know what I might be missing. Not worried about housing budget in general. Of course we have a budget, but I'd like to hear people's opinions without money in mind first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM

23,204 posts, read 18,359,983 times
Milton?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,771,930 times
Melrose?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Milton?
Considered Milton. Milton is a weird because it's so closet to Boston and yet the public transit options are not that good. We had the opportunity to buy a house in Milton that was being sold within our family, but didn't like the house and didn't like the location, so it wasn't compelling enough for us to leave yet. Maybe we will consider Milton again. It's kind of like Weymouth in that it doesn't really have a town center, which would be nice.

I have never been to Melrose, but have a good general impression of it from the boards here. I think it's a little too north for us, wouldn't the commute be bad? Have to look at it...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,811,145 times
What about Roslindale or Jamaica Plain? If you can work the school system in Boston to advantage, those places might give you the kind of community you want. Find the good elementary schools and see what's needed to get in. Brookline seems like your best bet overall--even if crowded, Brookline schools are very good. Otherwise I'd say Arlington, Watertown, and the more humble parts of Belmont and Newton would be good but farther from the South Shore than you want to be. Cambridge and Somerville seem like naturals--Cambridge at least has good schools. How often are you visiting those relatives, anyway?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Thanks. We're not overly tied to the south shore, and I don't consider Newton too far, I commuted there for two years from here. I just also want my husband's commute not to be terribly long, and I think where he is the best commuting options are from south or west of the city, not north. If the commute wasn't horrible, I'd consider more north, though.

From what I know of the BPS, isn't it pretty hard to get into the school that you want, especially when your kids are past preschool/kindergarten?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Cambridge and Somerville seem like naturals--Cambridge at least has good schools. How often are you visiting those relatives, anyway?
You know what? If we were close to the red line in Cambridge, it would be a super commute for my husband. Wasn't really considering Cambridge before, but will start looking into it. New question: best area in Cambrige for our family??

Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 PM

23,204 posts, read 18,359,983 times
Look into Needham. Great schools, great town center, pretty much all you want. The residents are generally more down to earth than Brookline and Newton, and it has several stops on the commuter rail. Right on 128 as well, so trips to the SS will be easy enough.

I would not send my kids to the Cambridge schools. They are decent for an urban school system, but still an urban school system. You would have the same bad influences there as you would in let's say Boston (not that the burbs don't have their sins as well). It's been quite a few years now, but at least when I was growing up Watertown had that "urban element" to their schools as well.

Melrose I almost beat GoyGuy in recommending, but then realized that it really is an adventure from there to the south shore.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks, yes, the Cambridge Schools are definitely something to look at to see if we'd want to venture there or not. I know they have the whole weird lottery thing, no neighborhood schools, etc. I guess it's not that different from the BPS placement?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
From what I know of the BPS, isn't it pretty hard to get into the school that you want, especially when your kids are past preschool/kindergarten?
That's what one needs to find out. One poster on this board with first-hand knowledge of the BPS is Henry Alan. I haven't noticed anyone here with first-hand experience of the Cambridge schools. My impression is they're pretty good but you'd have to look into it. As to neighborhoods, I like the Huron Ave area near Fresh Pond and around Porter Square, also the Magazine St-Brookline St area known as Cambridgeport. They seem more like family neighborhoods. North of Mass Ave there are many beautiful streets west of Central Square, such as Dana, Inman, and Hancock. East of Prospect Street seems rough and semi-industrial but I could be wrong. Cambridge gets very wealthy and impersonal in some sections--especially north and west of Harvard Yard. I'd want to be in a neighborhood where other families send their children to the public schools. That wouldn't be Shady Hill or Avon Hill or Brattle Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts