Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I live in central CT and was interested in visiting Paper City Brewery in Holyoke. Their website says they host happy hours every Thursday and Friday and I'm interested in going at some point. Has anyone been here that can offer their $0.02 on this place or their beers? I'm kind of a beer nerd who enjoys craft brews and enjoys visiting breweries, I'm always open to visiting micro-breweries and it seems like Mass has alot of these. Can anyone recommend any based on their experiences?

One last question - I'm a little familiar with Holyoke but I don't know it well. Does anyone know what parking will be like up there, and is there a specific way I should take once I'm off 91?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I don't know anything about that brewery or Holyoke.

There are a number of other good ones. Sam Adams is a good tour. Not nearly as cheesy as you might expect from a big brewer. It's free, you get a 7 ounce tasting glass for free, and you get to try 3 different beers (they pass out pitchers to the tables so you will have plenty) for free. Also, if you take your tour stub (it's just a beer label) over to Doyle's Pub (about 1/2 mile away), you get a free pint glass with the purchase of any Sam Adams brew on tap. Definitely worth it. Harpoon in Boston is fun too (I prefer the Sam Adams tour).

Mayflower Brewing in Plymouth is actually a lot of fun. I'd definitely recommend their tour.

My personal favorite is Just Beer (formerly Buzzard's Bay Brewing) in Westport, MA. I'll admit, some of my love for it is nostalgia. I grew up in that area of the state, and had a LOT of Buzzard's Bay Brew when I turned 21. The beer itself is very good. The brewery is on a big plot of historic farmland in Westport and a big part of the brewery's goal is to preserve farmland and support sustainable brewing. Simple, local and completely unpretentious. Totally worth checking out... if not for the beer, for the location. After you do the tour, head over to the Pour Farm or Rose Alley Ale House in New Bedford's Whaling District and enjoy a pint (great craft selections at both places).

Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 71,753 times
Harpoon Brewery resides in South Boston and they do tours, I'm sure you've had them before as they aren't really "craft" per say anymore. Another good beer destination is Sunset Grille in Allston. Its not a brewery but if you're looking to try some amazing beers I'd hit up Sunset next time you're around the city, they have over 100 beers in their selection.

Boston Beer Works has a couple locations in the city and they brew their own beer and serve it in their restaurants, also Cambridge Brewery Company is in Kendall Square in Cambridge MA, which is also a restaurant front for a local brewery. My other favorite beer bar in the area is Bukowski's, which has a location in the Back Bay and one in Central Square of Cambridge. If you want anymore info let me know.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
OP, Holyoke is in western Mass and most people on this list don't know know western Mass exists. lol but it's true.

I'm from WMass and I know of Holyoke but not being a beer person, I'm sorry but I can't help you.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRollo View Post
Another good beer destination is Sunset Grille in Allston. Its not a brewery but if you're looking to try some amazing beers I'd hit up Sunset next time you're around the city, they have over 100 beers in their selection.
Sunset is great. I only went once but I remember it like I was just there & it's an awesome place! Amazing food, incredible beer selection, and our waitress really knew her stuff when it came to what was on tap and in bottle. LOVE that place!

Everyone else, I appreciate the advise. I'll definitely take your suggestions. Currently I work saturdays at a brewery here in CT and ever since I started there, I've gotten really into other local beers. I had a chance to see Magic Hat Brewery in Burlington VT which is also a really cool place - definitely worth a visit if anyone here goes up that way.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Sunset is great. I only went once but I remember it like I was just there & it's an awesome place! Amazing food, incredible beer selection, and our waitress really knew her stuff when it came to what was on tap and in bottle. LOVE that place!

Everyone else, I appreciate the advise. I'll definitely take your suggestions. Currently I work saturdays at a brewery here in CT and ever since I started there, I've gotten really into other local beers. I had a chance to see Magic Hat Brewery in Burlington VT which is also a really cool place - definitely worth a visit if anyone here goes up that way.

Another great beer pub is the publick house in brookline, great beer selection aswell, and some amazing mac and cheese .

I havent done too many tours(I have been to magic hat though), but I've been on long journey to try a new beer every time I can. If you're really getting into local beer, I'd suggest this. There are so many styles and breweries out there, theres never a reason to drink the some old macro brew time and time again.

In my fridge you'll always see some dogfish head 90min IPA, but outside of that, theres something new every month.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 25,314 times
Some great places mentioned already. One more to keep in mind is Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project. (Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project, Inc)

They dont have a permanent brewery as they lease space to brew each batch and move around alot, but they do have weekly beer tasting events are rotating stores that are very fun to check out. In my opinion they have the best product in New England on the market now and one of the best I have tasted recently in the Country. Haven't had one beer from them that didnt really impress me.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapbussmusic View Post
Some great places mentioned already. One more to keep in mind is Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project. (Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project, Inc)

They dont have a permanent brewery as they lease space to brew each batch and move around alot, but they do have weekly beer tasting events are rotating stores that are very fun to check out. In my opinion they have the best product in New England on the market now and one of the best I have tasted recently in the Country. Haven't had one beer from them that didnt really impress me.
Pretty Things is an amazing brewery.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Thought Wachusett in Westminster was a great tour and most importantly great beer!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 AM

Oh P.S. This isnt really about a brewery per say but since the OP said he really enjoys good beers there is a Belgian IPA called Piraat Ale. I just happened into it in a local liquor store but it instantly became one of my top 3 favorite beers ever. Here is the beer advocate page on it, I highly suggest trying to get your hands on a bottle if possible, be warned though, they are like $13 for one bottle, but worth every penny.

Beer Advocate Page for Piraat Ale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts