Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,947 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I'm a native of New Hampshire. Born and raised. Two years ago, I relocated to Florida, where I've resided until recently. My lease is coming to an end, and I'm planning on moving back up to New England so that I can be close to our family and friends.

I stumbled upon a complex called Monarch Lofts, that's located in Lawrence, MA. I was drawn to the apartment building, as it claimed to be eco-friendly, and the interior itself seemed appealing. I'm a big fan of mill-style complexes, and exposed brick walls (but hey, I'm a writer- I like buildings with an artsy vibe to them).

That being said, the two of us growing up in NH/boderline MA have always heard that Lawrence has a pretty bad rep. I've been through the town a few times (en route to a favorite restaurant in Andover), but honestly, I don't recall much - which is why I'm posting this question.

Has anyone here had any experience living in the Lawrence area? Also, if anyone themselves has lived/is currently residing at Monarch Lofts, or has a general idea of the area it's located, would you happen to have any remarks?

I know some cities (such as Haverhill) have some decent, and some gritty areas. My uncle happens to have a very lovely home on the NH borderline, so I'm certainly aware that there are "nice" areas of said gritty cities.

Any advice, critiques, or general answers would be greatly appreciated. I really like the complex - however, I'd never want to compromise my own safety living in an "area" of a city that might render certain dangers.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:41 PM

13,967 posts, read 14,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsavagewater View Post
Hello there!

I'm a native of New Hampshire. Born and raised. Two years ago, I relocated to Florida, where I've resided until recently. My lease is coming to an end, and I'm planning on moving back up to New England so that I can be close to our family and friends.

I stumbled upon a complex called Monarch Lofts, that's located in Lawrence, MA. I was drawn to the apartment building, as it claimed to be eco-friendly, and the interior itself seemed appealing. I'm a big fan of mill-style complexes, and exposed brick walls (but hey, I'm a writer- I like buildings with an artsy vibe to them).

That being said, the two of us growing up in NH/boderline MA have always heard that Lawrence has a pretty bad rep. I've been through the town a few times (en route to a favorite restaurant in Andover), but honestly, I don't recall much - which is why I'm posting this question.

Has anyone here had any experience living in the Lawrence area? Also, if anyone themselves has lived/is currently residing at Monarch Lofts, or has a general idea of the area it's located, would you happen to have any remarks?

I know some cities (such as Haverhill) have some decent, and some gritty areas. My uncle happens to have a very lovely home on the NH borderline, so I'm certainly aware that there are "nice" areas of said gritty cities.

Any advice, critiques, or general answers would be greatly appreciated. I really like the complex - however, I'd never want to compromise my own safety living in an "area" of a city that might render certain dangers.

Thanks in advance!
Id pick Lowell, or Andover center if you can afford it, not Lawrence though

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,907,027 times
Lawrence is Lawrence, and although the Monarch Lofts are really REALLY nice, it's still Lawrence. The crime rate is through the roof, the Mayor is under investigations of various sorts (mostly fraud) and the city is on receivership and has been granted millions of dollars from other cities throughout Massachusetts.

I'm a Haverhill native, and will the the first to say that there ARE gritty areas that you're better off staying away from. You're already aware that there are some great family-friendly neighborhoods, and some STUNNING neighborhoods with fabulous Victorian homes... but have you been through downtown Haverhill lately? The Historic Downtown area has really come into its own the last few years, and having the train station in walking distance to many of the (former mill/shoe-shop) lofts is attractive to many. Many of these brick buildings were boarded up and vacant while I was growing up, so it's nice to see that they are being developed and given new life. My brother once leased space for his Kung Fu studio a few years back, and when the owner was approached for developing the building into condos, with storefront on the bottom floors, he lost the space. Hopefully the beautiful wood plank flooring, exposed brick, ductwork, etc, was left intact. The area has quite a variety of restaurants, coffee houses/shops, little bakeries, funky little shops. It's not upscale YET, but I think it's heading that way.

If you have any specific questions on Haverhill, I'd be happy to help answer. Lawrence, not so much. The New Balance outlet, Salvatore's Italian Restaurant, Tripoli for Sicilian pizza and Italian bread/pastry are some of the reasons to VISIT Lawrence

Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM

18,655 posts, read 33,243,985 times
I think the lofts are beautiful. However, regarding crime, you still have to come and go within Lawrence, park your car, etc. so I don't know that the specific complex being safe is the whole issue. If you're not driving, you still have to get to public transport. If you go out at night, you're moving around and through town at night. I personally wouldn't do it, even if I felt safe with the loft itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts