Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM

153 posts, read 414,745 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me more about these three cities? And also how I could commute from them to Beverly or Salem?

I want to move to Salem but the only graduate schools I can go to are in these 3 cities so I'm trying to choose which would be best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 PM

23,080 posts, read 18,221,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
And also how I could commute from them to Beverly or Salem?
Don't even bother.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
Could anyone tell me more about these three cities? And also how I could commute from them to Beverly or Salem?

I want to move to Salem but the only graduate schools I can go to are in these 3 cities so I'm trying to choose which would be best.
First, Longmeadow is not a city, it is a suburb of Springfield, a town. Springfield is run down but it's the 3rd largest city in MA.

I don't know what the grad schools are but there isn't one in the town of Longmeadow.

You can't really live in Salem and commute to WMass or even to Worcester. It's at least a 2 hour drive on the Mass Pike to Spfld and there are tolls.

Best to just live where you go to school, I would think.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,397,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
First, Longmeadow is not a city, it is a suburb of Springfield, a town.
Does it really matter how the friggin place is incorporated? If your from a City, you tend to call everything a City, and Vice-Versa.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Does it really matter how the friggin place is incorporated? If your from a City, you tend to call everything a City, and Vice-Versa.
If you want all the amenities of a city, you're not going to find them in a town, not in most towns anyway, and not in WMass towns. Not in Longmeadow in particular.

I don't know where you come from but I do realize that the Boston area is mostly urban and cities and you even call Boston a town! But most places are not like that. Do you ever leave your area?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM

27 posts, read 119,276 times
A few corrections to a previous post. The three referenced places are all quite different. Longmeadow DOES have a residential college with both undergraduate and graduate programs, Bay Path College.

Longmeadow is an established high density affluent suburban community of both Springfield, MA to the north, & Hartford, CT to the south...easy access to I-91 and the Greater Hartford/Springfield Area....aka "The Knowledge Corridor". It is a town similar to Newton/Wellesley outside of Boston and West Hartford/Greenwich in CT.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the correction, baron. I didn't realize Bay Path had a graduate program, it didn't when I lived there. It was just a junior college.

Your description of Longmeadow is accurate but you won't find the shopping that you'd find in W. Hartford or Wellesley or Newton, just a few shops and there is no actual downtown. I can't even think of it having a center of town. It's all spread out although probably in the olden days the center was near the town green, what center there was.

Yes, the three places are very different and Longmeadow is a bedroom community, a town, not a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron tweedmouth View Post
A few corrections to a previous post. The three referenced places are all quite different. Longmeadow DOES have a residential college with both undergraduate and graduate programs, Bay Path College.

Longmeadow is an established high density affluent suburban community of both Springfield, MA to the north, & Hartford, CT to the south...easy access to I-91 and the Greater Hartford/Springfield Area....aka "The Knowledge Corridor". It is a town similar to Newton/Wellesley outside of Boston and West Hartford/Greenwich in CT.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM

18 posts, read 35,377 times
Springfield and Worcester are IMHO rather dumpy cities, Longmeadow is a pretty nice little town...one poster compared it to Wellesley and I think that it is a fair comparison, maybe not quite as wealthy as Wellesley but comparable anyway. As for a commute from the North Shore, I would not even attempt it...you're looking at an hour and a half drive to Worcester and over two hours to Springfield/Longmeadow. Good luck in grad school...I'm done next month and then maybe I'll move to the North Shore too! :-)

Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM

153 posts, read 414,745 times
If I actually lived in Longmeadow are there any cool hangout places nearby that I could drive to? I'd be 23 when starting the program there..

And I know it's a small community but can anyone give me any idea on what's around there? Or point me to some pics or something? I'm worried it's going to be deserted with no young people...

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 PM

27 posts, read 119,276 times
Default Longmeadow

Longmeadow is far from deserted, no need to worry! It is not the sticks. It is part of the Springfield/Hartford metropolitan area, the second largest urban center in New England after Boston. The area has one of the highest concentration of college students in the country with numerous colleges dotting the area.

Longmeadow is a very short drive to many restaurants/bars etc. Springfield is a 5 minute drive, Hartford is about 20 minutes away (direct highway access) and Northampton/Amherst is about 25-30 minutes. I-91 connects all of these areas. Boston is about an hour and a half and NYC is about 2 and 1/2 hours.

The town is residential and suburban, not rural. Retail is limited to a small area within the town referred to as the Longmeadow Shops. Some of the in-town stores include many that are usually found in malls: The Gap, Starbucks, J.Jill, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Chico's, Bertucci's, Caren & Co., and Pendleton to name a few. "Big box" stores and every restaurant chain known to man are found in neighboring Enfield, CT just over the state line and easily accessible by highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts