U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 10:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,646,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
Depends on where you live. We lived in one of the best school districts in Mass and we had homes in every price range.
Nashoba Valley school district?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:25 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,058,018 times
This thread is from 2011 people. I feel like the OP made her decision.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM

228 posts, read 336,571 times
Didn't realize this was a 2011 thread. Going through her previous posts, turns out she was living in Lexington.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 PM

1,352 posts, read 695,695 times
Regardless of when the thread was started, I think the question is still relevant. When we considered moving out of Cambridge a few years ago (we stayed) this was something we struggled with. We wanted the best possible schools for our children, but didn't want a lot of what comes along with it in some of our wealthy suburbs.

In general I try to live my life in the manner that I would be much happier as wealthy in an average town. However there are considerations on both sides of the discussion. This article recently gave me food for thought Want to Raise Kids to Be Wealthy and Successful? Science Says This Is the Single Most Effective Thing to Do | Inc.com

Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Regardless of when the thread was started, I think the question is still relevant. When we considered moving out of Cambridge a few years ago (we stayed) this was something we struggled with.
Agree. Recently, I have given some thought to the issues OP raise. So I'm curious. Did you end up sending your kids to private? And I'll also note that Cambridge is not cheap as well!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM

Our kids are in Cambridge public elementary school and we couldn't be happier with the experience so far. We could afford to send them to private school, but it is just not the environment we want for them at this point in time. Part of why we love living in Cambridge is for the diverse community in which our children get to grow up. We were surprised at how homogenous the local private schools are, to say nothing of economic diversity. Our daughter has thrived at her elementary school and we are highly impressed at the resources available through the Cambridge school system. I couldn't imagine being happier with their school experience.

There are a dozen different elementary schools in Cambridge which uses a controlled choice lottery that is weighted by proximity, sibling assignment and language proficiency. My wife toured all 12 schools (bless her). I didn't have time for that, but went to her 4 favorites. Out of those there was only 1 (Baldwin) that I liked and worked for us logistically. This was not a proximity school for us, but we were fortunate to draw a high lottery number. If we had not gotten the 1 school we wanted, we likely would have moved. Once my daughter was in the school, our son was all but assured a spot.

The only drawback so far is that Cambridge is definitely transitory. Several of the families with children of a similar age we have befriended have moved away (some far away abroad). While it is good for our kids to learn to roll with the changes, it is tough for us as parents. If we ever did leave Cambridge that would be a primary reason.

We initially bought here 8 years ago, so right before the market started to ramp up. It had been relatively flat before that. We are very fortunate in that regard.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
Think of the song "Cat's in the Cradle".
That's a sad song. It definitely hurts when I'm sometimes at home, have to reply to an email, and my toddler comes in to show me his toys, and I have to say "I can't play with you now".

Old 08-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
That would support buying in Lexington, doesn't it?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:48 AM

5,602 posts, read 5,105,130 times
The article makes a good argument. Certainly buying in an area that has a strong tie to say a feeder school to Harvard can make an impact. Going deeper it can be not just kids but grandkids.

Having said that though. having said that though if that's what other people realize then things start going downhill. Zero marginal costs are eroding what was once considered wealth.

Say it's 1989. You are a sophomore year teacher and it's June. Your students ask what they should do for the next two years to optimize getting into higher ed. You recommend buying an encyclopedia set.
The Encyclopedia Britannica was expensive, useless, and exploitative. I’m glad it’s gone.

Ok so it's 1999. You tell your students to buy Microsoft Encarta. The cost of Encarta and a computer is less than the above

Ok so it's 2009. You tell your students to use google scholar, jstor and maybe even wikipedia. Totally free.

Every book made prior to 1929 is free from Project Gutenburg. Khan Academy has pretty much all K-12 material free. Coursera, Edx, Udemy and others are doing this for higher ed. Then add in the use of say 3d printers and zero marginal costs continue. No one really holds a monopoly on education. The internet has done more to promote openness then anything else on the planet. Gradually wealth has shifted not from ownership but to access.

Diversity is important going beyond race/religion/creed etc but also income. One thing to note that might be of some worth to look into is if the local government has elections or outright hiring for department positions. Elections are unofficially a residency requirement. If rental units are blocked, public housing and 40B projects it pretty much assures the same cycles of the same people.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
That would support buying in Lexington, doesn't it?
Yes, it is only one perspective, but it certainly does support buying in a town like Lex. It was helpful for me to remember not to get too lost in one train of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts