U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM

12,434 posts, read 13,886,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
As someone who attended a respected second tier school district (Shrewsbury), I agree with this statement. I had plenty of peers transition to respected institutions such as Tufts, Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, J Hopkins, RPI, etc. Mid-pack kids such as myself still pulled a GPA/SAT high enough to land in places like Northeastern, Bentley, Syracuse, etc. In short, a "good" MA school district is quite competitive at the regional and national level.

Agreed. I am a product of the good ole Revere public school system. Got tossed into honors programs and landed some scholarships and went off to college to get a degree in engineering. I had plenty of peers get accepted to good colleges and land good career jobs. One of our corporate attorney's at my company was a classmate of mine in elementary school. He managed to get into Harvard Law.

Part of me gets a little annoyed by the notion that unless you go to one of these top tier school districts in the state, you .1) are a bad parent and 2.) setting your kids up for failure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM

14,189 posts, read 10,578,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Agreed. I am a product of the good ole Revere public school system. Got tossed into honors programs and landed some scholarships and went off to college to get a degree in engineering. I had plenty of peers get accepted to good colleges and land good career jobs. One of our corporate attorney's at my company was a classmate of mine in elementary school. He managed to get into Harvard Law.

Part of me gets a little annoyed by the notion that unless you go to one of these top tier school districts in the state, you .1) are a bad parent and 2.) setting your kids up for failure.
True, but it seems to be more of a C-D "notion" than one grounded in reality.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 2,019,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
True, but it seems to be more of a C-D "notion" than one grounded in reality.
For fun I looked up my own district (Wachusett) which Niche ranked at 64th in the state. The ratings on Niche, Great Schools, etc. are all 9/A-. So a school rated 64th in the state by Niche also received an A- rating from Niche, with an average SAT/ACT score high enough to suggest a large number of students are capable of attending top and second tier universities.

Transplants to the area really need to understand that MA is not south where it's top tier or bust.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 AM

374 posts, read 567,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Mortgages are (mostly) deductible... tuition isn't.
It's really no more complicated than that.

Interest is deductible. There is a huge difference. Plus, the retaining of the mortgage interest deduction is an issue that will make party platforms in the next election cycle. Already, several European countries scrapped the mortgage interest deduction.

So, within the long-term forecast it might not offer any relief. Plus, you can spend more money than you have. Additionally, most never save enough for retirement.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 AM

374 posts, read 567,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
What year did you you graduate if you don;t mind me asking? I had a similar high school experience, but that was 20 years ago. Times have changed in terms of competitiveness for college admissions.
I agree that the poster had many of their classmates attend good choices for undergraduate. This still happens. People don't want to admit it, but every class has kids that can succeed. Top track students at every school will attend a 4 year university.

Bill

Old 08-30-2016, 05:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,958,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Interest is deductible. There is a huge difference. Plus, the retaining of the mortgage interest deduction is an issue that will make party platforms in the next election cycle. Already, several European countries scrapped the mortgage interest deduction.

So, within the long-term forecast it might not offer any relief. Plus, you can spend more money than you have. Additionally, most never save enough for retirement.
Yes, and spending an extra $250k+ on a house in pursuit of a bigger tax deduction is foolish.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM

4,228 posts, read 5,407,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes, and spending an extra $250k+ on a house in pursuit of a bigger tax deduction is foolish.
That's not what anyone is suggesting.

The idea is to compare extra money spent on housing vs. money spent on private school tuition. The extra taxes and mortgage interest on the house is deductible while the private school tuition isn't. In general at least some of the additional principle spent on the more expensive house can be recovered when selling, too.

Or you could go with the less expensive town and still probably do OK with public schools. As others have mentioned even the mediocre Massachusetts schools are pretty good nationally.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,958,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
That's not what anyone is suggesting.

The idea is to compare extra money spent on housing vs. money spent on private school tuition. The extra taxes and mortgage interest on the house is deductible while the private school tuition isn't. In general at least some of the additional principle spent on the more expensive house can be recovered when selling, too.

Or you could go with the less expensive town and still probably do OK with public schools. As others have mentioned even the mediocre Massachusetts schools are pretty good nationally.
You would be amazed how many people do not understand what tax deductible means.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,668,204 times
I honestly believe that kids are no better off at Lexington schools compared to Arlington, Bedford, Burlington, Concord, ext. Massachusetts public schools are pretty good across the board, even picking one ranked around 50th will provide a great education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts