Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 11,701 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move out to the 'burbs, but need to be on the commuter rail because travelling to and from the city by car will drive me crazy.
We've been looking at Sharon because of it's proximity, slightly rural feel and good schools, but need more ideas.
What is the diamond in the rough that I haven't stumbled on yet? From where can I access the commuter rail (and thus Cambridge) in such a way that I will not lose my mind daily? What is a good family town that encourages community and will also be affordable? Will consider north, south or west of city because we don't have ties to any particular town.
FYI: Places like Concord, Lexington, etc., are too expensive.
I need to buy smarter.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
I would suggest Ashland- a very family/community oriented town with a commuter rail station.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 11,699 times
Default Mansfield

Mansfield!

My wife and I just put our house on the market... 3-4 minute walk to the commuter rail, 30-35 minutes to South Station. We bought as our first house while we were working downtown. Very nice w/ yard, yet relatively affordable - $344,900. I just took a job in Marshfield (and now my wife works from home), so we are moving there when we sell.

I'll post the listing if you're interested as soon as the realtor fixes the information on mls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajaguar1791 View Post
We are considering a move out to the 'burbs, but need to be on the commuter rail because travelling to and from the city by car will drive me crazy.
We've been looking at Sharon because of it's proximity, slightly rural feel and good schools, but need more ideas.
What is the diamond in the rough that I haven't stumbled on yet? From where can I access the commuter rail (and thus Cambridge) in such a way that I will not lose my mind daily? What is a good family town that encourages community and will also be affordable? Will consider north, south or west of city because we don't have ties to any particular town.
FYI: Places like Concord, Lexington, etc., are too expensive.
I need to buy smarter.
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM

142 posts, read 660,519 times
Sharon schools have a very good reputation, and the town does have a rural feel to it. One thing to consider (and hopefully all understand the intent of the question!!) is Sharon has a high Jewish percentage. One reason I bring this up is the potential that there is no school on a major Jewish holiday. Some people may be uncomfortable with that. I do not know your circumstances.

Lots of people around here are looking for that 'diamnond in the rough', which are few and far between. I think they're hard to pinpoint. I'll toss a couple out there, and let's see what others think. Walpole schools not to long ago risked losing its accredidation. The debate and resulting financial impact caused friction and some people moved, either because of the risk, or they didn't want to pay for the increased costs. It appears that Walpole is back on track.

Another town is Millis. It's a small town on Route 109 wedged between Medway and Medfield that seems to be overlooked. It isn't very built up, and has a good reputation. However, there is not a train stop in town, so you'll have to check a map for the nearest location.

Good luck...

Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
Sharon schools have a very good reputation, and the town does have a rural feel to it. One thing to consider (and hopefully all understand the intent of the question!!) is Sharon has a high Jewish percentage. One reason I bring this up is the potential that there is no school on a major Jewish holiday. Some people may be uncomfortable with that. I do not know your circumstances.

Lots of people around here are looking for that 'diamnond in the rough', which are few and far between. I think they're hard to pinpoint. I'll toss a couple out there, and let's see what others think. Walpole schools not to long ago risked losing its accredidation. The debate and resulting financial impact caused friction and some people moved, either because of the risk, or they didn't want to pay for the increased costs. It appears that Walpole is back on track.

Another town is Millis. It's a small town on Route 109 wedged between Medway and Medfield that seems to be overlooked. It isn't very built up, and has a good reputation. However, there is not a train stop in town, so you'll have to check a map for the nearest location.

Good luck...
Most suburban Boston towns do not have school on the Jewish holidays. The town in which I live is almost 25% Catholic and does not have school on the Jewish holidays.

Millis schools are not very good. Medfield schools, right next door are excellent. Medfield is not on the train line but depending on which part of town you are in you are close to: Needham, Walpole, Norfolk trains.

Westwood has excellent schools. Can't remember if it's on the train line? But it's not far to Dedham or Canton, depending on what part of Westwood.

Norfolk has a station right in town and the elementary and middle schools are very good. The high school is a regional school that's just ok.

Needham is very well located and right on the train line with excellent schools.

Some people like Franklin. I'm not familiar with the schools or the town. It seems a bit far out to me.

Other towns right on the commuter rail:

Natick (schools ok)
Wellesley ($$$$ but right on the train and excellent schools)

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
How about Hamilton, Wenham, or Manchester by the Sea? They have strong school systems, a lovely quiet small town feel, easy access to the Commuter Rail, plus access to tons of parks, beaches, etc. I've seen some nice places for sale there recently.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 83,798 times
Post sharon, MA

Hi,

I can tell you about many of the towns that border Sharon, as for their schools you may want to check with the School Board to see if their contract is in order.. hence STRIKES...

Foxboro,Walpole,Franklin all have access to the trains and good town feeling the demographics are well rounded and their is no school on " Jewish " Holidays, Christmas either!

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding the Rte.495 belt...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
There is no commuter rail in Foxborough. The only train that goes there is the Patriots train when there is a game.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 83,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There is no commuter rail in Foxborough. The only train that goes there is the Patriots train when there is a game.

Sorry, to clarify..I meant these towns may only have or accessiblity to train stations but certainly well worth the look.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
I would suggest Ashland- a very family/community oriented town with a commuter rail station.
In the same area as Ashland you might consider the adjacent towns of Hopkinton and Holliston. Nice towns themselves, though they don't have commuter rail stations, so you'd have to drive to Ashland for that.

Another possibility: Littleton. Out to the northwest of Boston, in the vicinity of Concord, but farther out from the city. Kind of a small town, and sort of in the country, but clean and pleasant, and with significantly lower housing costs than the towns you said you felt were too expensive.

Littleton has a commuter rail station, which is on the line that goes through Cambridge. That's kind of a trade-off when compared to the other towns mentioned so far on this thread. The trains from all the other towns mentioned go into Boston from the south, without passing through Cambridge, so reaching Cambridge would involve a subway ride after taking the commuter train to the city. From Littleton you can take commuter rail directly to Cambridge, but it's a longer ride than that from the other towns into Boston.

I'm not familiar with schools in Littleton. According to greatschools.net, their schools score 8's and 9's out of 10, so not at the very top but up there close. However, I believe greatschools bases their ratings on standardized test scores, which give some general indication but seem to me like a narrow view of the overall quality of schools. At Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, they show Littleton with school expenditures a bit higher than the national average. Again, just one more objective piece of data, since I haven't heard anything from people with actuall experience with the schools there, so this would be the one area that would need further investigation, in a town that otherwise might suit your needs very well, if you don't mind being out in the country a bit.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts