Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in a company in North Billerica. I am not keen on moving for lots of reasons, but am trying trying to get a better idea of what such a move would require. If one worked in North Billerica, where would be good options to live? My criteria would be good schools (kid entering middle school), good architecture (older homes), nice downtown with good restaurants and amenities, and a somewhat artsy progressive vibe. We'd want an older house with 3 or more bedrooms. Budget would be up to 900K, preferably lower. Also, as my wife would probably need to commute to Boston, it would need to be on the commuter rail line.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,677 times
Andover meets your criteria for schools, good architecture, and a decent downtown but if you're willing to drive a little further, I think Newburyport would be a much better fit - wonderful historic center, well rated schools, train access to Boston, lots of stuff to do. I have a colleague who lives & works in that area if you'd like to chat with someone more about its pros & cons.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:15 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,677 times
Here's the latest Boston Magazine top public schools rankings:
The Best Public Schools in Boston 2011: In the Classroom

Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,479 times
I'd go with andover. Its so much closer, the commute from newburyport would suck. Has better train access too with a much shorter ride. Lot more convenient, and i feel its more artsy progressive than newburyport, though neither are very much so. Like the downtown better as well, better choice of restuarants.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
I'd go with andover. Its so much closer, the commute from newburyport would suck. Has better train access too with a much shorter ride. Lot more convenient, and i feel its more artsy progressive than newburyport, though neither are very much so. Like the downtown better as well, better choice of restuarants.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in Andover (from 6 years old). I would pass on that town.
Agreed, Newburyport would be an awful commute.
Towns close to Billerica would be Carlisle, Chelmsford, Acton, Lexington, Concord, Arlington etc. All within the price range stated.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
I would agree with Andover in terms of a great commute and school system, but I am not a fan of that general area.

I would go with Concord. Great New England town, excellent school system, nice quaint downtown area, and you will find a place in your budget. The commute would be ~20-25 minutes on local roads.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I would agree with Andover in terms of a great commute and school system, but I am not a fan of that general area.

I would go with Concord. Great New England town, excellent school system, nice quaint downtown area, and you will find a place in your budget. The commute would be ~20-25 minutes on local roads.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The school system is, ehhh.... Rated 38th in the state. I went there until I got sent to Phillips.
The good thing about living in Andover is that you can go to Phillips Academy and still live at home. (though it is only high school).

Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Acton, Bedford, Concord, Lexington, Westford would all be reasonable choices.

This recent thread has some information: //www.city-data.com/forum/massa...cton-area.html

Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

332 posts, read 1,018,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The school system is, ehhh.... Rated 38th in the state. I went there until I got sent to Phillips.
The good thing about living in Andover is that you can go to Phillips Academy and still live at home. (though it is only high school).
my feeling on that statement is that if you dont feel that concords schools are good enough for you, you dont deserve to go to any public highschool. Go to philips academy if you can afford it and get in but dont complain about a pristine public one.

what do you have against andover? my uncle's living there now and every time i visit it seems like a nice town, i mean, theres not a lot to do there but there are good schools, and GLTS, and it has good train access so its easy to get into boston.

actually, i think id rather live in concord but i couldnt afford a home there.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
my feeling on that statement is that if you dont feel that concords schools are good enough for you, you dont deserve to go to any public highschool. Go to philips academy if you can afford it and get in but dont complain about a pristine public one.

what do you have against andover? my uncle's living there now and every time i visit it seems like a nice town, i mean, theres not a lot to do there but there are good schools, and GLTS, and it has good train access so its easy to get into boston.

actually, i think id rather live in concord but i couldnt afford a home there.
My impression is that he was speaking about Andover public schools, not Concord public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts