Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

This doesn't affect me in the least -- I don't drink alcohol, I shouldn't eat wings, and I work from home.

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-r...y-hours-debate

But the article piqued my curiosity... Have you all been missing Happy Hour or could you not care less?

(Honestly, I thought that Happy Hour was an antiquated thing. Shows how much I know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
I don't really miss it anymore, but there was certainly a time when it annoyed me quite a bit that Massachusetts saw fit to make it illegal. But I no longer go to bars that often, and when I do, it's usually not for cheap booze or free junk food. It still annoys me from a philosophical stand-point, because laws like this are essentially saying that a legal establishment selling a legal product cannot price it as best fits the business model.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I don't really miss it anymore, but there was certainly a time when it annoyed me quite a bit that Massachusetts saw fit to make it illegal. But I no longer go to bars that often, and when I do, it's usually not for cheap booze or free junk food. It still annoys me from a philosophical stand-point, because laws like this are essentially saying that a legal establishment selling a legal product cannot price it as best fits the business model.
Y'know what? That's exactly why it interested me. How can one politician make a blanket decision that affects how every bar owner runs their business?

While I agree with some blanket decisions -- limiting the number of drinks to someone who is clearly drunk or taking away their car keys -- that's because I believe in safety. But this was just too Big Brother for me.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Gave up drinking 19 years ago, and glad of it.

Im amazed when I see people who are drunk, and think, "I was that stupid too, sheesh"...

I enjoy missing the hangovers too LOL

OH, never been to a happy hour, cause I found it was cheaper to drink at home.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Gave up drinking 19 years ago, and glad of it.

Im amazed when I see people who are drunk, and think, "I was that stupid too, sheesh"...

I enjoy missing the hangovers too LOL

OH, never been to a happy hour, cause I found it was cheaper to drink at home.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Good for you! That's great!

I never acquired the taste for alcohol. Beer, wine, hard liquor... I hate it all equally. I stick to Diet Coke.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I oppose the MA happy hour ban in theory, but don't miss Happy Hour specials too much in practice--a discounted glass of crap booze is still crap booze.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This doesn't affect me in the least -- I don't drink alcohol, I shouldn't eat wings, and I work from home.

Massachusetts May Lift Ban On Happy Hours - Delish.com

But the article piqued my curiosity... Have you all been missing Happy Hour or could you not care less?

(Honestly, I thought that Happy Hour was an antiquated thing. Shows how much I know.)
NOPE! Happy Hour is alive and kicking everywhere else outside the Peoples Republic of MA! I live in VA know and love my Happy Hour! I live across the street from a Chilis, Applebee's and a Bar Louie, half price beers and appetizers, how the hell do you go wrong? MA needs to stop playing babysitter for it's subjects. No different than there BS gun control laws, they don't stop anything! Only hurt the good people! If idiots want to drive drunk, than not having happy hour won't stop them! Rest assured the happy hour ban was put in place because less beer price, means less tax collected! Then tell people it's for "Our Safety".

Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Massachusetts gave up long ago on supplying happiness to its residents. First, it nixed happy hour. Then, it suddenly took home prices, and shot them on a yuppie rocketship into space. No longer can the working class survive comfortably or own a home anywhere near Boston, Cape Cod, etc. I'm almost but not quite 30, still young, and even I can remember when a house in/around Boston was $125k or less. Happy hour? I am too young to remember that, but having traveled to other states that believe in their citizens being the benefactors of such happiness, I can attest that a $2 microbrewed beer between the hours of 3 and 7 pm is a beautiful thing. So is $300/month rent. Rather lacking in the Bay State!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Happy Hour?!?! Hell, hasn't that been gone for like 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts