U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 21,955 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Lynn school systems the ones near the Ocean on Eastern Ave not sure if it is considered the diamond district.

Also this new law now child left behind for Tier 1 schools can a child go to another school district school system?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM

940 posts, read 1,838,644 times
Lynn schools are the worst on the North Shore, unless you want your child to end up in a gang or jail, I would stay away from them.

Although I know someone who went to school there and ended up at Babson, but that's an exception.

You would probably have an option for school choice, you would have to find out through the school district.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,120,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Lynn schools are the worst on the North Shore, unless you want your child to end up in a gang or jail, I would stay away from them.

Although I know someone who went to school there and ended up at Babson, but that's an exception.

You would probably have an option for school choice, you would have to find out through the school district.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely agree. I grew up on the North shore, and what konfeta states is true.
The nickname for Lynn is "Lynn, Lynn city of Sin".

I highly recommend going somewhere else.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:26 PM

3,508 posts, read 6,703,039 times
What a load of crap from konfetka and SuperSparkle.

Like any school system, Lynn has its share of excellent teachers and excellent students. It also has its share of marginal teachers and marginal students. Because Lynn is a city of 90,000 the problems of the schools may seem greater than in a smaller community. Compound that with the variety of ethnic and socioeconomic groups present in Lynn and you can get a pretty mixed bag.

However, to claim "unless you want your child to end up in a gang or jail, I would stay away from them" is just patently false and disrespectful to the many successful graduates of the Lynn public schools.

The 2011 Lynn English High School valedictorian Alexandra Kolwicz was accepted at four universities:
Harvard, Northeastern, Brown and Tufts; and chose to attend Northeastern. The 2011 Lynn Classical High School valedictorian Gabriella Galeazzi is attending Providence College.

Success in a school system is more about the student's work ethic and support of their family than it is some preconceived notion of a successful, suburban school district with high MCAS scores and a glossy article in Boston magazine.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM

334 posts, read 960,211 times
Agree with gf2020. I hate when people who have never really experienced bad school systems will find ways to demote them because of their stupid pre-conceived notions. Pretty much all inner city schools have some sort of problems. Sparkle said that they grew up in the north shore, when in the other forum you said you grew up in andover, which i think is stretching it a bit far. And even if you did grow up within 20 miles of lynn, how would that back up the your opinion on lynn's highschools anymore?
guess what, i grew up in malden, which is much closer than andover, so that would make my opinion more valuable than yours in your book, doesnt it?
I would agree entirely with gf2020 on the fundamentals of school system success.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM

940 posts, read 1,838,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What a load of crap from konfetka and SuperSparkle.

Like any school system, Lynn has its share of excellent teachers and excellent students. It also has its share of marginal teachers and marginal students. Because Lynn is a city of 90,000 the problems of the schools may seem greater than in a smaller community. Compound that with the variety of ethnic and socioeconomic groups present in Lynn and you can get a pretty mixed bag.

However, to claim "unless you want your child to end up in a gang or jail, I would stay away from them" is just patently false and disrespectful to the many successful graduates of the Lynn public schools.

The 2011 Lynn English High School valedictorian Alexandra Kolwicz was accepted at four universities:
Harvard, Northeastern, Brown and Tufts; and chose to attend Northeastern. The 2011 Lynn Classical High School valedictorian Gabriella Galeazzi is attending Providence College.

Success in a school system is more about the student's work ethic and support of their family than it is some preconceived notion of a successful, suburban school district with high MCAS scores and a glossy article in Boston magazine.
The old belief that parents have the greatest impact on the child's future has been recently challenged in psychology. Peers are thought to have a much greater influence than parents.

"The need to survive at school and mix with friends has a more significant impact on a child's behaviour than lessons learned in the home"

"Judith Rich Harris, an American psychologist, says that a child who grows up in a disciplined household is just as likely to turn into a tearaway as those raised in chaotic homes, if they mix with unruly classmates at a young age."

Children 'learn most from peers not parents' - Telegraph
Do Parents Matter?: Scientific American

Are there great hard-working teachers and students in Lynn schools, sure. This is not the reason why I would stay away from them. It is the environment on the city streets and the community which the schools are not immune to, that I would be concerned about. Would I volunteer to make a social experiment out my child to see if he would beat the odds? No, and therefore I am not recommending it to anyone else.

Why would anyone choose to raise a family in a town were local police has a gang unit to deal with gangs like Bloods, Latin Kings, Deuce Boys, Soldiers etc, if you have many other better options nearby?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,120,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
Agree with gf2020. I hate when people who have never really experienced bad school systems will find ways to demote them because of their stupid pre-conceived notions. Pretty much all inner city schools have some sort of problems. Sparkle said that they grew up in the north shore, when in the other forum you said you grew up in andover, which i think is stretching it a bit far. And even if you did grow up within 20 miles of lynn, how would that back up the your opinion on lynn's highschools anymore?
guess what, i grew up in malden, which is much closer than andover, so that would make my opinion more valuable than yours in your book, doesnt it?
I would agree entirely with gf2020 on the fundamentals of school system success.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Sparkle said that they grew up in the north shore, when in the other forum you said you grew up in andover, which i think is stretching it a bit far."

Well, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Massachusetts)

Quote:"And even if you did grow up within 20 miles of lynn, how would that back up the your opinion on lynn's highschools anymore? "

Well, read this: Lynn English High School Test Scores - Lynn, Massachusetts - MA
Lynn is below the state average on MCAS tests in ALL areas (Science, English Language Arts, Math)

Quote:"guess what, i grew up in malden, which is much closer than andover, so that would make my opinion more valuable than yours in your book, doesnt it?"

That is like you saying "I live next to a nuclear power plant, so my opinion of boiling water reactors versus pressurized water reactors is more valuable than yours". The value of someone's opinion is based on many factors, a key one being their level of expertise in the subject matter. So to answer your question of 'valuable in my book', I would say it is virtually irrelevant. The reason I stated my proximity, is that Lynn and Malden are within a short driving distance, and at a young age we learned where not to go (so this is a quality-of-life issue, which can have an impact on the quality of the schools). I can name dozens of other towns/cities where there appears to be a correlation between quality-of-life and school quality.

Quote:" I hate when people who have never really experienced bad school systems will find ways to demote them because of their stupid pre-conceived notions."

How many hours have YOU worked in the Lawrence school system? Let's compare results.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 11-18-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM

199 posts, read 908,143 times
Years ago, I knew some kids from Lynn who went to Beverly High School with school choice. At one point, I heard Marblehead had some Metco kids and accepted some from Lynn, not sure if this is still true.

For what it's worth, if Marblehead or Swampscott accept Lynn residents under school choice or a lottery system, you're much better off sending your child there as the schools are much higher rated and ranked.

I heard there's a Salem Academy Charter School, but I'm not sure if this is an option or not for Lynn residents. I think it's somewhat new so I don't know what it's reputation is.

Private or parochial schools might be another option, but they can be very expensive, though some offer scholarships or part scholarships. I know it can be a drain, but some parents feel it's well worth coughing up the money or scrambling to find it.

The #1 and #2 students in Lynn English, Lynn Classical were most likely in AP or Honors classes. Ditto for Salem, Beverly, and most other towns and cities. The question, you might ask is what happens to the kids beyond the first 10, 20, 30 or more students in any class or school system.

There are kids who have done well from Lynn, Salem, or Beverly; then there's the others who have not. Lynn, Salem, and Beverly are cities and, as a result, you've got some very deep urban issues with them. Out of the three, Lynn has more than its share and it is reflected in the schools.

Salem News just reported yesterday and Wednesday that one of its elementary schools may go into receivership due to its failing status. Some claim its due to the number of low-income students and number of students where English is a second language. So take comfort that's it not just Lynn with these issues.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM

334 posts, read 960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Sparkle said that they grew up in the north shore, when in the other forum you said you grew up in andover, which i think is stretching it a bit far."

Well, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Massachusetts)

Quote:"And even if you did grow up within 20 miles of lynn, how would that back up the your opinion on lynn's highschools anymore? "

Well, read this: Lynn English High School Test Scores - Lynn, Massachusetts - MA
Lynn is below the state average on MCAS tests in ALL areas (Science, English Language Arts, Math)

Quote:"guess what, i grew up in malden, which is much closer than andover, so that would make my opinion more valuable than yours in your book, doesnt it?"

That is like you saying "I live next to a nuclear power plant, so my opinion of boiling water reactors versus pressurized water reactors is more valuable than yours". The value of someone's opinion is based on many factors, a key one being their level of expertise in the subject matter. So to answer your question of 'valuable in my book', I would say it is virtually irrelevant. The reason I stated my proximity, is that Lynn and Malden are within a short driving distance, and at a young age we learned where not to go (so this is a quality-of-life issue, which can have an impact on the quality of the schools). I can name dozens of other towns/cities where there appears to be a correlation between quality-of-life and school quality.

Quote:" I hate when people who have never really experienced bad school systems will find ways to demote them because of their stupid pre-conceived notions."

How many hours have YOU worked in the Lawrence school system? Let's compare results.
I looked at that map, it codes andover as a town [i]sometimes[i] associated with the north shore, in the last ring of towns. I didnt rule andover out in my statement, but i think saying its part of the north shore is stretching it. The map backs me up on this.

then giving me a page of test scores, when i asked you specifically how growing up near lynn would back up your opinion just because you lived within driving distance. Not what you read on test scores, which is not the best way to judge a school in my opinion. Your dodging my question, and my latter statement was sarcasm.

And about pre concieved notions on bad school systems, you say you have never worked in lynn specifically, which is what i was getting at. Sure you say you've worked alot at Lawrence. I spent 1 + 1/2 years at hartford highschool, which would probably translate to about 1500 hours. If you're talking about lawrence than it would be zero. If youd like, you could use your trusty test score ranking to compare the two in terms of awfulness.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 21,955 times
thanks so much for the imput. I know growing up in watertown used to play Lynn Classical and remember there student body was great and the crown was nice. Again it seems everywhere I post something about Lynn that old saying comes along but having driven by the waterfront a million times over the area is very peaceful with alot of older people walking there dogs and running around the beach. Thanks for your imput I will do some more research on the school systems as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts