Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,582 times

Advertisements

I live in Vermont and recently retired on a very small SSA pension ($1456/month)). That is barely enough to rent an apartment and eat, but it is what it is. I can find a small one-bedroom here in Vermont for about $750/month. My son lives in Waltham, MA and I am thinking of moving to the Cape. At first, I thought I would be closer to my son, but actually the drive time from here to Waltham is about 2 1/2 hours, and it seems the lower Cape would not be any closer time-wise. I haven't been to the Cape since I was a child, but I lived most of my life on Long Island and I sorely miss the ocean. I don't want to leave New England! I looked on CraigsList and it seems that I could find a small apartment (with my dog!) on the Cape for around the same price ($750-ish) but that is only what I see listed and I have no idea if this is a realistic price. A part of me hates to leave Vermont, but another part of me thinks it will be warmer (somewhat) and more interesting to live on the Cape. At least I could go to the beach. Am I delusional in thinking that apartments are available on the Cape in that price range? It's hard to think about moving at my age...I don't have much of a social life here, and no family left, but it's familiar and Vermont is such a great place to live, I wonder if I am just dreaming of living near the water again but with a New England feel. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would very much appreciate hearing them. I guess the bottom line is can a person on such a low income lived year-round on the Cape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
You won't find much for $750 per month. I took a quick look on Craigslist and there were a couple of places available. Location of 2 I saw was not great. One was on Main Street Hyannis and the other in South Sandwich. Hyannis would be a safety concern and South Sandwich is in the middle of no where. You will have to also consider the overall cost of living. Today I got gas on 6A in Sandwich- $3.50 per gallon, off Cape last week I spent $3.22. Groceries run 20% to 35% higher than off Cape. I remember being dumbfounded last year on a ski vacation in New Hampshire and seeing lobster for $3 per pound less than on Cape. Health care is also much more expensive- both in regard to cost of insurance and often in surcharges and copays health care providers charge. Some doctors have taken to charging a premium to be part of their practice. You might be better off looking in Plymouth or another south coast area, not on Cape. Your dollars will go much farther and you can still be near the ocean. Good luck on the move.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM

131 posts, read 414,312 times
You should look into subsidized housing. You can get a nice apartment in senior housing for around 30% of your income. That would be about $400 a month. Every town has this program, so you could stay in Vermont or move to the Cape. Only thing is there are waiting lists which vary in length.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 AM

Thank you for your replies. I have looked into subsidized senior housing in Vermont, but the nearest I have found that will allow my dog is way up in Burlington (I am 100 miles southeast of Burlington, on the NH border.) Having pets is a real problem.

There are subsidized apartments in NH, close by, but until I receive Medicare (two years) they have no state health insurance option. Vermont has a fantastic health insurance plan for $60/month, far better than the plan I had when I was working. I was thinking MassHealth would be like the Vermont plan, but haven't looked into it yet. I am at least one year away from a move so the closer I get to Medicare coverage, the more flexible I can be. I did see a subsidized housing apartment for all ages in Mashpee (Mashpee Village) for $743. What is Mashpee like?

I guess the hardest thing about moving is starting all over again somewhere else. I have moved several times in my life, but have been here almost 20 years and feel somewhat settled and a bit apprehensive about finding new everything.

I live in my own house now (very tiny) but it is only worth what I owe and the $1100 a month mortgage and taxes don't leave much leftover. The hardest thing is the maintenance. I have rheumatoid arthritis and can no longer shovel snow, mow the lawn, etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
I think as a town it's a great option for you as Mashpee offers quite a bit in regard to retail and things to do. It's not the easiest place to get on and off Cape from but in your retirement, I would think that is not a major consideration.

I don't know anything about that particular housing complex but Mashpee has it's fair share of problems. It's not a bad place by any means and it is safe- but a quick google search will reveal information that will give you pause in considering an all age subsidized housing complex.

Unfortunately, this occurred in a lovely residential area, where no one would expect this but as police stated, this was just a symptom of a larger problem.

Mashpee shootings spur fear | CapeCodOnline.com

By Cape standards, housing in Mashpee is pretty cheap so you may even find something non subsidized that fits your budget.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Thank you, Beachcomber4; I see what you mean. My other option is an elderly (I hate that word!) subsidized apartment in North Berwick, Maine. I am on the waiting list for that one. It isn't close to Boston, but there is a train that goes directly there from Wells, and the beach isn't far. Much colder, though, but it appears to be a nice area. The biggest problem is health insurance, as I won't get Medicare until 2013 and Maine has nothing I am eligible for even at my low income level. All of this information is extremely helpful, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts