Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Holden, you are sorely mistaken. West Street is a major commuting thoroughfare in the morning and evening. I know, I drive it several times each week in my attempt to avoid the traffic congestion at the I93 interchange.
Interesting. I've never been there at rush hour, only mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Sorry for the misinfo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM

244 posts, read 572,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Heather, what attracted you to this particular house over others? I'm not familiar with Reading area, and it was interesting to read comments from locals pointing out different positives and negatives. if we know more what makes or breaks a deal for YOU, we can help better.
Trying to find a house with 4+ bedrooms (we have 3 kids), room for family to visit, that is under $550K, in the Reading/Wakefield/Andover area that doesn't require numerous upgrades/work to make it liveable (I am not one of those people that need the updated kitchen, but I don't want a place that I'll have to put a new roof on, new windows etc). Coming from MD where you can find a new home anywhere it's quite a shock to see how little new construction there is in this area of Mass. Also, my husband wants an older home with character, which this has and for me to like one that he likes is a plus! This was just one of those homes that popped up on Redfin that doesn't have alot of great pictures and even the relators can't tell me much more than what is already on the paper. So, that's when I ask the locals b/c they can give you the lowdown, honestly!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

140 posts, read 288,088 times
We have been interested in moving to Reading for a few years. It seems nothing moves except split levels, it is almost impossible to get into the historic area ( Scotland Road- Oak Street) so we keep watching but need to explore other areas.

The town seems unusually stable, not sure why? Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM

157 posts, read 570,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capenewfs View Post

The town seems unusually stable, not sure why? Any thoughts?
The simple answer is that Reading has the rare balance of offering a good school system with a reasonable commute either by commuter rail or 93. It's a desireable place, so people don't leave.

The lack of turnover here is consistant with all more affluent commuter towns in Metro Boston - people can't move up and out because jumbo and super-jumbo loans are difficult to meet requirements for. Most people aren't sitting on 250-300k of cash and if they are, it's not responsible to put all that money into housing. In other words, people are staying put because they have to. With wages static and the housing prices plateued I'd expect expect things to stay like this for a while.

Last edited by chaxey; 01-10-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 AM

5 posts, read 9,342 times
Default I lived in Reading just around the corner

For seventeen years, I lived on Woburn St. at the corner of West in Reading. Here are the plusses and minuses as I see them. Reading is a great town. I didn't have kids then, but generally, at least 20 years ago, the schools were well regarded. That part of Reading is super convenient for travel. Easy access to 93 or 95/128 in any direction. Ten minute walk to the train to Boston. My house was right on top of the road, most in that area are, so noise is a factor. West St. and Woburn St. are busy during the day, even more so at rush hour. Even at night, there is never more than 30 seconds between cars. Woburn and West is a dangerous intersection, plenty of crashes outside my door.

The houses are all over 100 years old on that part of West St. and seem to be well cared for. Other than my rickety old house and busy street, I liked the neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM

140 posts, read 288,088 times
This is an old post but I had a similar experience this month with a Reading Realtor who didn't get back to me after waiting for a month. It turned out that she was hospitalized. Is there anyone out there who knows a realtor for the north shore?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:08 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
I was once told to never buy a house on a road with a painted line down the middle of it.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts