Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times

Advertisements

I'm confused by what the OP meant by "communities". I would guess most cities or towns would have some sort of subsidized senior housing, but if the OP meant a of 55+ commuinity with all the amenities that they usually have, I can't think of any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 04:05 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
I got the impression that they meant some sort of a place that is age restricted. That's all I got out of it.

As far as I know everything is very expensive and the only other option are the little subsidized apartments. If people could only see these tiny apartments, I don't think many would want to live in them. You get very little, just the bare minimum and they are usually not very pleasant places to live. Like a Welfare housing project only you are there for life.

From what I've read on the retirement forum, other states seem to offer more. You can get an apartment and it will be larger than what is available here, you can have your own washing machine, you can have a balcony. And it will still be affordable.

We seem to have a huge gap between the lowest level (subsidized, which can be just about sub-standard), and the next level up which costs thousands.

I wish people would take a look at the subsidized apartments for elderly in their towns and see how the people have to live. I bet a lot of people would be ashamed. These are elderly people who usually have lived here and paid taxes all their lives and THIS is what they get?

I do tend to get wound up about this subject but I've seen too much--they expect a person to live in less than 400 square feet (I think that's the standard size), with a kitchen that is barely usable in most cases, a small bedroom, and one other room that they can either use for a couch and tv or have a table and chairs so you can eat there. Most people do the couch and tv and eat their meals on a tray because there's no room for a table.

No washer and/or dryer allowed--they go to the on site laundromat building armed with coins--how would you like to do that in all kinds of weather when you're that age? What if they fall on the ice and snow? No one seems to care, I guess these places are insured for things like that.

There is zero storage. They get a few closets, yes, but these people have possessions--the management just tells them to get rid of everything! How demeaning is that! People have already downsized considerably to be able to live in one of these places but they're expected to get rid of everything as if their lives are over.

Can they not keep their photographs? books? a few knick knacks and family belongings? What (heaven forbid) if the person has a set of golf clubs? What if the person is still healthy enough to want to ride a bike? Not allowed because there is no storage and you cannot put things in the hallways because the fire inspectors come around and throw things away.

Many older people like to garden--and it's good for them. Usually, it is NOT ALLOWED. I have discovered a few places that will allow a small amount of gardening but then again, there is NO provision for storage of gardening tools. Would it cost that much to build a few sheds on the premises? Or even let the person buy something at Lowe's or Home Depot?

How about a porch or a balcony for fresh air. Especially if one is home bound wouldn't it be great to be able to sit out and enjoy the good weather?

Granted, there are some apartment communities, subsidized, that look okay from the outside and there are always some people who can live with the minimal but most people want to continue on with the next chapter of their lives when they retire. They may wish to take up a hobby or a project but it's not usually possible in these places--unless your hobby is watching tv.

The very rich will be fine in Massachusetts. People who have families who still live here and will take them in will probably be fine too. But there are a lot of people who will be living on incomes of maybe $25,000 to $40,000 (just making up the numbers here) who have no other choice but to live in these teeny, barely liveable, outdated, often falling apart apartment complexes that are subsidized. I've long wanted to write to some politician about this matter but the answer would probably be --not enough money, can't afford, it, recession you know. Well, there's money for a lot of other things in this state.

nearing the end of rant. I worked with the elderly years ago and was often appalled by how they had to live but picture those same buildings all these years later. Dumpier, more fallen apart, dysfunctional plumbing and heating systems, mold problems, and depressingly out of date. and I'm talking about picturesque towns that will remain unmentioned.

[quote=Valerie C;22283679]Is the OP looking for a 55+ park type of situation where you privately own, or federally subsidized elderly housing? I've helped people get into (and out of) both type of situation, both have their pro's and con's. The biggest of which is that private ownership in a age-restricted park or condo can have HUGE monthly fees, with very little included... Subsidized can have a lengthy wait, upwards of 2 years. I'd like to hear what the OP has to say, so that I can respond in more detail on what they are looking for...

Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times
[quote=in_newengland;22287281]I got the impression that they meant some sort of a place that is age restricted. That's all I got out of it.

As far as I know everything is very expensive and the only other option are the little subsidized apartments. If people could only see these tiny apartments, I don't think many would want to live in them. You get very little, just the bare minimum and they are usually not very pleasant places to live. Like a Welfare housing project only you are there for life.

From what I've read on the retirement forum, other states seem to offer more. You can get an apartment and it will be larger than what is available here, you can have your own washing machine, you can have a balcony. And it will still be affordable.

We seem to have a huge gap between the lowest level (subsidized, which can be just about sub-standard), and the next level up which costs thousands.

I wish people would take a look at the subsidized apartments for elderly in their towns and see how the people have to live. I bet a lot of people would be ashamed. These are elderly people who usually have lived here and paid taxes all their lives and THIS is what they get?

I do tend to get wound up about this subject but I've seen too much--they expect a person to live in less than 400 square feet (I think that's the standard size), with a kitchen that is barely usable in most cases, a small bedroom, and one other room that they can either use for a couch and tv or have a table and chairs so you can eat there. Most people do the couch and tv and eat their meals on a tray because there's no room for a table.

No washer and/or dryer allowed--they go to the on site laundromat building armed with coins--how would you like to do that in all kinds of weather when you're that age? What if they fall on the ice and snow? No one seems to care, I guess these places are insured for things like that.

There is zero storage. They get a few closets, yes, but these people have possessions--the management just tells them to get rid of everything! How demeaning is that! People have already downsized considerably to be able to live in one of these places but they're expected to get rid of everything as if their lives are over.

Can they not keep their photographs? books? a few knick knacks and family belongings? What (heaven forbid) if the person has a set of golf clubs? What if the person is still healthy enough to want to ride a bike? Not allowed because there is no storage and you cannot put things in the hallways because the fire inspectors come around and throw things away.

Many older people like to garden--and it's good for them. Usually, it is NOT ALLOWED. I have discovered a few places that will allow a small amount of gardening but then again, there is NO provision for storage of gardening tools. Would it cost that much to build a few sheds on the premises? Or even let the person buy something at Lowe's or Home Depot?

How about a porch or a balcony for fresh air. Especially if one is home bound wouldn't it be great to be able to sit out and enjoy the good weather?

Granted, there are some apartment communities, subsidized, that look okay from the outside and there are always some people who can live with the minimal but most people want to continue on with the next chapter of their lives when they retire. They may wish to take up a hobby or a project but it's not usually possible in these places--unless your hobby is watching tv.

The very rich will be fine in Massachusetts. People who have families who still live here and will take them in will probably be fine too. But there are a lot of people who will be living on incomes of maybe $25,000 to $40,000 (just making up the numbers here) who have no other choice but to live in these teeny, barely liveable, outdated, often falling apart apartment complexes that are subsidized. I've long wanted to write to some politician about this matter but the answer would probably be --not enough money, can't afford, it, recession you know. Well, there's money for a lot of other things in this state.

nearing the end of rant. I worked with the elderly years ago and was often appalled by how they had to live but picture those same buildings all these years later. Dumpier, more fallen apart, dysfunctional plumbing and heating systems, mold problems, and depressingly out of date. and I'm talking about picturesque towns that will remain unmentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Is the OP looking for a 55+ park type of situation where you privately own, or federally subsidized elderly housing? I've helped people get into (and out of) both type of situation, both have their pro's and con's. The biggest of which is that private ownership in a age-restricted park or condo can have HUGE monthly fees, with very little included... Subsidized can have a lengthy wait, upwards of 2 years. I'd like to hear what the OP has to say, so that I can respond in more detail on what they are looking for...
I think it varies from place to place. I know our town has senior housing in brick townhomes. I don't know how old the buildings are, but I believe they have hook-ups for washers and dryers (you might have to provide your own machines). We looked into it briefly for my MIL before it became apparent that she was going to need assisted living, instead.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

837 posts, read 1,217,615 times
:applauds:

So, so true. Before my husband and I married, he rented a room in a house across the street from our town's elderly housing complex. We nicknamed it "The Fortress" because that's exactly what it looks like. Even the flowers planted at the entrance had no effect.

From the scuttlebutt I've heard in the neighborhood, it's very similar to what in_newengland described. One of our neighbors around the corner had no choice but to move in after exhausting every other avenue. She passed a few months after moving, and to this day people will say she died of humiliation.

I fear for us when we become that age.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM

298 posts, read 944,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Is the OP looking for a 55+ park type of situation where you privately own, or federally subsidized elderly housing? I've helped people get into (and out of) both type of situation, both have their pro's and con's. The biggest of which is that private ownership in a age-restricted park or condo can have HUGE monthly fees, with very little included... Subsidized can have a lengthy wait, upwards of 2 years. I'd like to hear what the OP has to say, so that I can respond in more detail on what they are looking for...

Lack of response? Really? The original question was only posted at 7:13 PM on Monday, the day after Christmas and a holiday for many. I'm sure there will be many more responses as the day goes by...
Valerie I was actually inquiring for my mother who currently owns her own home in Mass. She is getting to the point where she can no longer afford to stay in her own home, i.e. taxes, repairs, maintenance, etc. I am planning to move out to the Tucson, AZ sometime in the future and I suggested she come with us. You can still purchase a condo or townhouse out there for $80,000-90,000. She is not at the point where she wants to live with us yet (76 years old, very healthy TG). I am just exploring options for her. Her house would probably sell for around $200,000 in today's market (it is paid off) so if she were to purchase in AZ she would have the "extra" $100,0000 to pay living expenses, etc.
There just doesn't seem to be any decent options in this area, She has lived in her own home all of her life and I am not about to have her start living in some run down public subsidized housing unit. Thanks all for the replies.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
I am planning to move out to the Tucson, AZ sometime in the future and I suggested she come with us.
I hope things work out for her. I have also seen houses in Arizona which have a "Casita". They are a detached unit across the courtyard from a main house, usually just a bed and bath, but sometimes with a kitchen. It might work for your mother-- certainly better than a mobile home.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 PM

18,623 posts, read 33,192,920 times
The town of Littleton has a nice little mobile home park. There are older MHs for sale from about $20K-$35K. I believe monthly fees are about $300 for the usual things (water, commong areas, roads). I think it's age=-restricted, but individuals can rent out their own MH if they want to.
It's my backup plan in this area, anyway.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Maybe a mobile home park is the best bet. Most towns in MA apparently won't allow them but the age restricted ones can be beautiful and the resident still has his/her own home and privacy.

If you can find a place where the fees are only $300 or so and the houses are cheap, it would be do-able. There can be horror stories with the managements of these places, so I've heard, and lots of rules and regulations so it's best to beware.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The town of Littleton has a nice little mobile home park. There are older MHs for sale from about $20K-$35K.
I found the one you mentioned (Littleton, MA on Ayer Street). It looks very neat, with well-kept yards. Even though the homes are old, they seem to have had maintenance done on them. It *is* age-restricted, and it allows small pets (hurray!) I would consider it a back up plan if I wanted to remain in Massachusetts.

As I grew up in a mobile home like this through high-school, I am familiar with maintenance issues. The water pipes have to be wrapped with electric tape to keep them from freezing. You have to know how to re-light the furnace. The walls can be cold. If you can find a unit with drywall instead of paneling, they are less flamable and safer, possibly warmer also. There is probably only a wall-unit for air-conditioning.

There is also no protection that the park would not be sold to a developer who wants to eliminate the park.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 AM

18,623 posts, read 33,192,920 times
I'd buy the smallest oldest unit and replace it with a new one, and hope to customize it for insulation, etc. Snow roof with a skylight.
In Littleton, the center part of the park is the oldest, and the MHs are the funkiest. The edges are newer and bigger, and a few are pretty much manufactured houses.
I believe you can have 1-2 "small pets," which I think means a dog under 20lb and a cat. If a developer wanted to buy the land where people have been living, there'd be quite a fight, as there has been for decades in West Roxbury, in town. There's certainly enough land on the same outskirts of Littleton that that's unlikely, plus the development craze never really topped in Littleton, and certainly won't be going up again in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts