Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM

121 posts, read 412,155 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a condo and can see myself having some updates done in the next few years. What types of things do you need a permit for and what types of things do you not need a permit for?

For example, installing wood floors? or how about putting in new counter tops?

Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
I don't see where you would for those items, but check with the town building inspector to be safe.
Maybe your condo association has rules regarding improvements as well.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM

ok - thank you.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Usually permits are needed for larger project or ones that involve plumbing or electrical work. Definitely check with your local building inspector's office before starting though to make sure you won't need one.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,251,864 times
With the town - I don't think so (unless you're going to create a ton of junk when you trash the old stuff). With your HOA, you might need to only if it involves significant changes to piping or cutting walls or structural changes. You might also need to simply let them know about it and make sure you and/or your contractor know what the appropriate hours are to do work (some places are strict - no work before 9 AM and none after 5 or 6 PM), how to properly dispose of materials, and if there will be parking issues for the contractors.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
With the town - I don't think so (unless you're going to create a ton of junk when you trash the old stuff). With your HOA, you might need to only if it involves significant changes to piping or cutting walls or structural changes. You might also need to simply let them know about it and make sure you and/or your contractor know what the appropriate hours are to do work (some places are strict - no work before 9 AM and none after 5 or 6 PM), how to properly dispose of materials, and if there will be parking issues for the contractors.
Checking with the HOA association about construction restrictions is a great suggestion. I will say though that the size of the project often has nothing to do with whether or not a permit is required. Technically, in my town, you need to pull a permit to install a new toilet. I'm not talking about changing any of the piping. I'm just talking about pulling out an old toilet and putting in a new one. You can do this job with a pair of pliers but you need a permit.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm just talking about pulling out an old toilet and putting in a new one. You can do this job with a pair of pliers but you need a permit.
about what I found from the town. That if it was cosmetic (flooring, cabinets) you didn't need a permit. If it were plumbing or electrical you did. I asked about a new tub and she said yes. I didn't ask about a new light fixture or outlet...I wonder.

I wonder what would happen if you changed the light fixture w/o a permit?

I asked the HOA and they said everything was ok except when you were going to structurally change the place - like remove a wall or support beam.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukyelle View Post

I wonder what would happen if you changed the light fixture w/o a permit?

Light fixture is OK.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Light fixture is OK.
Ok. how about changing an outlet? or adding a new outlet? Or changing a flip-switch to a slider-switch?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM

69 posts, read 239,781 times
permits are a great way for the town to ring just a little more money from its residents. In my opinion, it is something minor - adding outlets, lights or basic plumbing work - find someone that will do the work with out a permit and avoid the headaches. If it is a big remodel or reno get the permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts