Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,725,871 times

Advertisements

Hi from North Carolina. I am looking at some job offers in Westborough and am trying to find good towns to search some of the real estate websites.

Most important factors would be:
-30 minute commute (or less) to Westborough
-Best Schools
-Safety (don't need to lock the doors at night)
-Non-urban feel (we like woods, trees, hills, etc.)
-Educated community, upper middle class community (sorry if that sounds snotty, just trying to be honest)

Looking at 4BR single family homes in established neighborhoods. We are okay with older homes. Price range to buy would be between $400,000-$500,000 but we would probably rent first hopefully in the $2.5k per month range.

What towns should we look at? What are the best websites there for single family home rental searches?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 AM

3,698 posts, read 7,478,865 times
You could certainly look in Westborough but your money will go a lot further if you look in neighboring Shrewsbury. realtor.com should meet all of your search needs.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,166,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I don't know if you were being serious or not about locking the doors but in case you were:

Lock your doors. Crime can travel into the BEST of neighborhoods.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM

22 posts, read 48,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Hi from North Carolina. I am looking at some job offers in Westborough and am trying to find good towns to search some of the real estate websites.

Most important factors would be:
-30 minute commute (or less) to Westborough
-Best Schools
-Non-urban feel (we like woods, trees, hills, etc.)
-Educated community, upper middle class community (sorry if that sounds snotty, just trying to be honest)

Looking at 4BR single family homes in established neighborhoods. We are okay with older homes. Price range to buy would be between $400,000-$500,000 but we would probably rent first hopefully in the $2.5k per month range.

What towns should we look at? What are the best websites there for single family home rental searches?

Thanks!

We live in Hopkinton. IMHO, I think that the school system here is awesome!!! The town is really small & quaint. My neighbor across the street is selling their house & it looks to be in your price range. PM if you have any questions.

Westboro is also a nice place to live. The schools are good, but I have friends who live there & they say that some of the teachers aren't as "good" as some of my son's teachers through out the years.

Shrewsbury is nice, but I wouldn't want to tackle rte 9 traffic to & from Westboro.

Hope this helps, good luck & welcome to NE!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,725,871 times
Thank you all. Its nice to have a good place to start my searching.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 15,075 times
Default Property taxes, oh my gosh!

Hey Carolina,

We've been planning a move east, from San Francisco to New England. Have you checked into the property tax in New England? I'm hoping that somebody here can fill me in on deductions, discounts or other ways to feel better about laying out so much money for taxation. $3,000 - 6,000 What is the upside, or rather what offsets the high prop tax - no income tax or free food or something? Is any of this written off?

Thank you

Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,462,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoonbaby View Post
Hey Carolina,

We've been planning a move east, from San Francisco to New England. Have you checked into the property tax in New England? I'm hoping that somebody here can fill me in on deductions, discounts or other ways to feel better about laying out so much money for taxation. $3,000 - 6,000 What is the upside, or rather what offsets the high prop tax - no income tax or free food or something? Is any of this written off?

Thank you
Judging from your comments and handle, I'm guessing that you don't live in SF proper or a place like Marin. As it is, I'm not sure what type of house and what region in the Bay Area has $3000-5000 property tax. Are you living off of Prop 13? No, New England does not have anything like Prop 13 from what I know, though there are personal exemptions for the disabled and elderly. You also have to compare apples to apples. You can't look at the property tax of Half Moon Bay and then look at Lexington in MA, just as I wouldn't look at the tax rate in Fairhaven, MA and compare it with Tiburon.

I fly to SFO and back periodically, and gas is consistently 30-50 cents more per gallon than Boston in a given week. MA sales tax was recently raised to 6.25% and people went nuts. It isn't going up again any time soon (especially when people can go to NH for tax free shopping). With local surtaxes, the Bay Area is around 9% and they've been pushing to raise this to help pay for Prop 13 and the state's huge deficit. I see it pushing 10% within the next five years. MA income tax is at 5.3%. In CA, it's at 8% if you make more than $37,000 and it balloons to 9.3% if you make over $47,000. To complain about taxes coming from CA is a bit laughable.

California my any measure cannot be considered a low tax State... only need to look north to Oregon with no sales tax or east to Nevada with no Income Tax...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-24-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM

278 posts, read 705,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoonbaby View Post
Hey Carolina,

Thank you
The upside is the state not being completely bankrupt like California.

And property taxes in MA in general are low compared to surrounding states.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM

121 posts, read 413,153 times
I'm still befuddled when people complain about property taxes here in MA. Family in Omaha and surrounding areas pay close to $4000 per year on a $175K assessed home. Not that much less expensive aside from property itself. They're surprised when I tell them about costs here as far as property, but they're surprised that taxes are so reasonable...on top of no taxes on clothing or alcohol. Sales tax in Nebraska is 5.5% and I believe cities can levy more. I think Lincoln has a 1.5% on top of that. The income tax rate I think is also higher there.

Last edited by lukyelle; 01-14-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM

925 posts, read 2,752,452 times
Holliston is also a wonderful community that offers everything you're looking for. If you google "living in Holliston" you'll find lots of good articles about the community, which offers a top 20 public school system, lots of trails, a new rail trail in process, a quaint town center with shops, a cafe, and a great little general store, tennis courts, and a children's playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts