U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,487 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to the springfield area in a few months. I have read about 100 different threads about the area, and couldn't really see the info I was hoping for.
I am from the Albany area, but my wife is from Europe. We are hoping to find a area somewhere around springfield that is withing a 20 min commute (the closer the better), but that also has a strong local feel. Meaning that I want her to be able, while I am at work, to walk around to different shops, parks ect, but be in a safer part of town. Basically we don't want to live in the suburbs where a car a necessity for her, and she prefers not to have to take a bus everyday. I would buy her a car, but she doesn't want one of her own yet as she is still getting used to our traffic laws ect... As far as price goes, well I guess I am willing to pay for what I want, and we are looking at renting. We also prefer a "older" style, I guess you would say historic feel to the area if possible. Oh we are mid to late 20s don't care much for the nightlife but do love good restaurants so that would be a plus. Would love to avoid college party areas.
Any help on areas would be very welcomed. We do plan to make a few trips to visit different places but I want to have a plan for when we go.
If any other info would help just ask I will let you know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM

121 posts, read 398,744 times
I really don't know Springfield first-hand, but from what I gather from posts on this site, I would probably consider other areas.

Amherst is lovely IMO. It has a pretty downtown, it's a nice size. Seems to be clean, safe, well taken-care of. It's a college town in the positive sense of the term. I went on a work visit there last spring, it was a beautiful spring day and they were setting up a large farmers market in the square. From the moment I drove into town, I was wishing it was within commuting distance from where I work.

I looked on google maps and it seems to be around a 40 minute commute to Springfield. It'd be worth checking out I think.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 PM

12,830 posts, read 13,163,870 times
try West Springfield or Westfield both are close but Westfield may be a bit collegey because of Westfield state.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 50,343,858 times
Northampton is closer to Springfield than Amherst and has a better downtown, probably the best of the area. Easthampton is nice, too, and worth checking out.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 PM

12,872 posts, read 24,689,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Northampton is closer to Springfield than Amherst and has a better downtown, probably the best of the area. Easthampton is nice, too, and worth checking out.
Agreed. I would feel completely safe in Easthampton, and it has nice old homes. Northampton is more sophisticated however. Northampton is definitely walkable, and the most like a European city.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM

219 posts, read 441,045 times
I used to live in West Springfield, wouldn't really recommend it for you. Most of the areas around Springfield are more car-oriented, and I think you may have a tough time finding an area where your wife will be able to do everything without a car. That being said, Westfield does have a downtown area that's okay, and a really beautiful park. The college is there but it really doesn't have a major college-town vibe. You could also consider Easthampton, and really look at Northampton too. East Longmeadow is also a decent town, not as walkable but nice. Definitely look at Longmeadow---not a lot of rentals, but maybe you could find something. I also lived in Springfield, and while it does have a few things to offer, I would strongly resommend that you not consider living in the city itself. Overall, given your criteria, I think your best bet would be Northampton.
Good luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM

208 posts, read 302,651 times
Safe and Springfield probably don't go in the same sentence, and unless you are in the few nice pockets, it's pretty icky. Unless you speak Spanish you'll feel like you're in a foreign country there too. I wouldn't want to walk around downtown Springfield. Easthampton is nice and cheaper than Northampton re; real estates and rents, but it sounds like Northampton would be ideal for your wife. It's got a very diverse downtown, parks she can walk to, and great restaurants. They have a couple of small theaters. They also have a wonderful library she could walk to. If she has hobbies or likes artsy stuff, she can easily get to knitting, pottery, dance classes and more. Yes, there is college life there with Smith College, but it's not really a party town. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,188,157 times
Stay away from Springfield, it's riddled with crime.

Your DW, being from Europe, would most enjoy Northampton about 20 min north of Springfield and home to Smith College. Intellectuals, arts, culture, walkable, events, a lot like many places in Europe. Homes are a bit pricey but not as pricey as Amherst (where property taxes are very high).

Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 PM

15 posts, read 37,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Stay away from Springfield, it's riddled with crime.
No it isn't.

I suggest people visit and form their own opinions on the city.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 AM

940 posts, read 1,851,826 times
Springfield has 167 registered level 3 sex offenders, second in the state behind Wocester

Mass. Communities With Most Sex Offenders

Mass. Communities With Most Sex Offenders - Photos - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/news/30419479/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts