U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,544,811 times

Advertisements

The jobs won't be lost...they will just move to Ohio. My point is that the people in those jobs are more effective if their located near one of the technological meccas of the US- moving will only increase costs because of lost expertise/proximity to innovation. Year after year defense acquisition gets beat up for not having the expertise/adequate number of trained experts- yet just as things are ramped up to quasi-functional...they are getting cut down- I'm sure buying things with no "experts" to do the negotiating/management has jacked up program costs dramatically...much more so than their individual salaries (and there are reports after report to support this)

As for offsets to the cost? I think that as we debate budget cuts we miss 2 of the biggest issues (actually 1 of them is the largest of all): Medicare & Social Security. I don't know a single younger person (35 or lower) who would be incredibly upset by increasing their social security/medicare retirement age a little...yet doing so would have a HUGE impact on our long term debt.

Don't get me wrong- defense needs cuts- but cutting the workforce/bases whose job it is to reduce the costs/increase the effectiveness of new acquisitions is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Look, I hate job losses. I wish they didn't have to be done. I want to preface this post with this because some may take it harshly and as if I am unsympathetic. My own family has been hit very hard recently with the economic downturn, but in manufacturing. My father has now had 3 different factory jobs in 4 years, after the plant at which he worked closed after 32 years. It sucks but it is a fact of the direction this country moved.

But, what are the people here who vow to fight for the base to remain open and active willing to put up for it? Are each and every one of the residents in the area/state willing to pay x thousand dollars per year in taxes to offset the cost? Are you proposing other practical ways to offset the costs? Close a base in Virginia instead and have those people suffer the costs?

We are facing a $15-16 trillion deficit. The wars are winding down. The defense budget is bloated and can be streamlined. Aren't cuts (and revenue increases ) what Americans need to happen to preserve our future as a nation? Shouldn't we actively be helping people to develop other skills outside of the military to push forth this country's economy and stability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts