U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,544,295 times

Advertisements

Hanscom Air Force Base is currently the home of the Air Force Electronic Systems Center (develops comm, intel, surveillance, IT, cyber, and other systems for the Air Force). It's where some of the first computers were used, etc...the center developed the data links like those that enabled the raid on Bin Laden (for example).

Solid rumors have it that if BRAC (base realignment & closure) is approved by congress (it's being requested by Panetta & the President)- the base will likely be shutdown and most personnel relocated to Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio.

The Air Force has already laid the groundwork for its closure, centralizing the three Air Force Development Centers leadership at Wright Patterson.

While saving money is always a good idea and centralization makes sense, moving the base from the high-tech outskirts of Boston to Ohio does not. This would cost well-over 30k Jobs in New England (about 7x more than just those on the base itself)...many of which are in NH.

If you want to help preserve the last full active duty military base in New England- you need to contact your congressman now and tell them to protect Hanscom AFB.

As the nation now confronts its enemies in cyberspace as well- we should be growing the base and centralizing cyber & intel acquisitions at Hanscom...not moving them to Ohio where there is no expertise and high technology workers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM

199 posts, read 362,866 times
I've lived at Griffiss (Rome, NY) and Plattsburgh (Plattsburgh, NY) before their closure and both of those communities were devastated for years and have yet to recover. Also spent a brief month at Loring (near Presque Isle, ME).. it's very troubling that the military will invest hundreds of millions if not billions in these 'super bases' while abandoning these local bases in dozens of communities and states.. the cost of closure does not always outweigh the benefit of consolidation. Centralization produces an insulated military that is separated from the rest of America. You also end up with only a few dozen members of the House and Senate whose constituents have any interest in military personnel and the jobs brought to their communities. Very few bases, posts and stations exist in the northeast anymore, let alone New England. In short these are tax dollars put into the hands of servicemen stationed in the South and West, then transferred to those communities. The nature of the service, especially the Air Force, has become much more southern and western, as tomorrow's recruits often come from personnel families and the military is a boon for those communities. So we close the last active US Air Force base in New England, leaving only McGuire in central Jersey (itself now an amalgamation of McGuire AFB, Fort Dix AP and Lakehurst NAS) and Dover AFB in central Delaware open. Meanwhile, tens of billions are invested in new fighters that are nowhere near completion and may be outdated before they're ever in service, tens of billions more over cost.

Take a look at the Air Force base locator below and tell me the closure of many bases in the Northeast and Great Lakes hasn't been mostly political. Southern states keep theres, Northern states get closures. Gotta love BRAC.

Contact Us: Find a Base - airforce.com

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Yeah this is not good. But unless people stir things up- it will be gone. In many areas the bases are all that's there- so communities rally around them and they are protected. In the northeast that's not the case (we have other businesses) so there is a lot less uproar.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,965,869 times
I have not heard ANY news about closing the base. Now, realignment of jobs, yes! Where are you getting this information?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,838,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I have not heard ANY news about closing the base. Now, realignment of jobs, yes! Where are you getting this information?
N.E. lawmakers vow to fight base closings - Boston.com

Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Hanscom was on the short list in 95 and 05 I believe...basically because it's easy to move a base that doesn't have a lot of toxic materials, planes, etc. BRAC basically ignores "intellectual capital" (see Ft. Monmouth, the former home of the equivalent organization of the Army). The AF itself is actually excited about a BRAC- go figure.

Also, if you look up the AFMC restructure you'll see that just recently the three major air force centers (Aeronautical, Armament, Electronics) were centralized to be lead out of ASC at Wright Patterson. This and combined the most recent round of cuts took 550 jobs or so from Hanscom (probably reasonable, since cutting back is needed). While centralizing staff to reduce overhead does make some sense...it also sets it up for an easy BRAC as well unfortunately.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM

325 posts, read 411,257 times
Hanscom is close enought to Boston to be at least partially shielded from the effects.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,965,869 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Wow, this is very recent. I did not know that, I guess we better build a strong front of resistance.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Hanscom is close enought to Boston to be at least partially shielded from the effects.
That's basically one reason why it's at risk...even though it's the 9th largest employer in the state (I think?) Folks don't get as stirred up because there are other employers (unlike some other places). That said- taking billions of dollars and tens of thousands of jobs out of state is not a good thing for MA; or for the North East in general.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,440,164 times
Look, I hate job losses. I wish they didn't have to be done. I want to preface this post with this because some may take it harshly and as if I am unsympathetic. My own family has been hit very hard recently with the economic downturn, but in manufacturing. My father has now had 3 different factory jobs in 4 years, after the plant at which he worked closed after 32 years. It sucks but it is a fact of the direction this country moved.

But, what are the people here who vow to fight for the base to remain open and active willing to put up for it? Are each and every one of the residents in the area/state willing to pay x thousand dollars per year in taxes to offset the cost? Are you proposing other practical ways to offset the costs? Close a base in Virginia instead and have those people suffer the costs?

We are facing a $15-16 trillion deficit. The wars are winding down. The defense budget is bloated and can be streamlined. Aren't cuts (and revenue increases ) what Americans need to happen to preserve our future as a nation? Shouldn't we actively be helping people to develop other skills outside of the military to push forth this country's economy and stability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts