Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times

Advertisements

ugh.. awful.

almost hit someone today cause some moron decided to try to get to the exit ramp from the middle lane at the last second, in the dark rain, during rush hour.

I also don't understand why they allow driving on the shoulders? I get it.. it's congested and they need the extra lane, but it ends up being ridiculously dangerous when people are passing everybody on the far right shoulder, as people are trying to merge on and off, etc.

90% of the time, the traffic is moving quite well (all things considered) during rush hour, and the driving on the shoulder is just used by people to pass everybody dangerously close and zoom ahead. I thought that's what we use the left lane for.

How about this.. You slow people in the left lane, go use the shoulder. You speedracers in the shoulder, go into the left lane which to some, is also known as the PASSING lane.

ok my rant is done. goodnight =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Ugh, agree with your rant. I hate driving on 128. It's awfully lit or not lit at all, the slip roads are too short and people have a tendency to get right up your arse even if you're in the inside lane doing a good speed, or they'll switch lanes at the last minute as they were too busy yapping or texting on the mobile phone to realise their exit is approaching.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...we need some German autobahn police to crack down on these idiots. It's always the same habitual offender too...pickup truck drivers, van drivers and thugs or businessman in a hurry driving Hondas, Lexus, Infinitis or Chargers.

I don't think traffic flows very well at all. It's constant speed up, slam on breaks, speed up (repeat 1,000 times). Don't even get me started on the merging either....people are clueless and either stop completely or throw their car in front of you doing 30 mph while you're doing 50+.

This is also why I hope MBTA don't cut services. I would rather they expand the service and up the fares than cut back and force me to go through the stress of driving here even more!

End rant!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
I hate driving on the highway during rush hour. I couldn't agree more with what you're saying. If only the slow drivers would keep to the right then you wouldn't get people weaving or driving 100 MPH in the breakdown lane.

I once got in an argument with a co-worker about who should be driving in the left lane. He felt as long as you were doing the speed limit it was OK to be in the left lane even if the other lanes were unoccupied. I had steam coming out of my ears when I heard this.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I hate driving on the highway during rush hour. I couldn't agree more with what you're saying. If only the slow drivers would keep to the right then you wouldn't get people weaving or driving 100 MPH in the breakdown lane.

I once got in an argument with a co-worker about who should be driving in the left lane. He felt as long as you were doing the speed limit it was OK to be in the left lane even if the other lanes were unoccupied. I had steam coming out of my ears when I heard this.
Hi Mike.

I agree with you about the lane hogging, but one thing I've observed is that people may do it if they feel they need to be in a certain lane and no one will let then change lanes safely. A classic example where this happens all the time is where I95 & R128 split north of Boston. People will stay in the outer 2 lanes because with all the dangerous and aggressive driving, no one will let you in if you remain in the 3rd lane, which disappears as it becomes a 2 lane road.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
I'm going to assume you're new to the area, and will cut you some slack.
Driving on Rte.128 is not a paradise (as I have my own stories to tell), but this could be said about any major highway outside/near any major city.

I seem to have the mindset that things can be worse than they actually end up being. While traffic tends to back up in certain areas (Rte. 128/Rte. 3 interchange, I-495/Rte. 3 interchange, I-93/Rte. 128 interchange, etc.), traffic tends to move along once you get well beyond those areas. I don't face as much "stand still traffic" in MA as I have experienced outside NYC, for comparison. Even if traffic moves very slow at times, at least it does move.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Hi Mike.

I agree with you about the lane hogging, but one thing I've observed is that people may do it if they feel they need to be in a certain lane and no one will let then change lanes safely. A classic example where this happens all the time is where I95 & R128 split north of Boston. People will stay in the outer 2 lanes because with all the dangerous and aggressive driving, no one will let you in if you remain in the 3rd lane, which disappears as it becomes a 2 lane road.
While MA drivers are not the most courteous in the world (and I still maintain not the worst either try driving in NY, LA, or Miami sometime), I find if you put your turn signal on and are patient eventually someone will let you in. Plan ahead so that you have enough time to get into your new lane. Don't wait until the last second and expect someone will let you in.

You did mention there are three lanes in your example and personally I don't have a problem if you want to sit in the middle lane and drive whatever speed you like. However, the left lane should be left open for passing so that if I want to drive faster than you I can get around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Driving on Rte.128 is not a paradise (as I have my own stories to tell), but this could be said about any major highway outside/near any major city.

I seem to have the mindset that things can be worse than they actually end up being. While traffic tends to back up in certain areas (Rte. 128/Rte. 3 interchange, I-495/Rte. 3 interchange, I-93/Rte. 128 interchange, etc.), traffic tends to move along once you get well beyond those areas. I don't face as much "stand still traffic" in MA as I have experienced outside NYC, for comparison. Even if traffic moves very slow at times, at least it does move.
I like your attitude! While 128 traffic can be a pain it could be a lot worse. LA, NY, and Miami have some pretty nasty traffic (and even nastier drivers). Even locally driving on I93 is a lot more congested.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:20 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:

No, I'd say Massachusetts has exceptionally bad highways. Simply put, Massachusetts has incredibly poorly designed and very outdated highways. The interchanges are bloody awful. 128/95 & 93 interchange in Reading is the worst. The state's busiest interchange has a cloverleaf with minimal merging space and bookended by more exits (Washington St. & Rte 28) within a 1/2 mile of it making for more congestion and merging issues. Stupid planning and highway design there. There are little to no added auxilary lanes on the busiest exits (Rte 3 interchange needs one badly). Most of the exits are not illuminated, no lightpoles (expect in Burlington & Woburn where only 1/2 of the lights actually work). Our highways suck! Only Pennsylvania has worse ones, and that's not saying much. Some people in Mass. seem content with this. I wonder how far into the 21st century we'll get with outdated 1950's and 60's highway design. Even Rhode Island just recently had one of their busiest highways interchanges (I-95 & I-195) with flyover ramps, big improvement. Meanwhile Massachusetts is wasting astronomical amounts of stimulus and taxpayer money on shiney new highway signs that never needed to be replaced to begin with.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-18-2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
While MA drivers are not the most courteous in the world (and I still maintain not the worst either try driving in NY, LA, or Miami sometime), I find if you put your turn signal on and are patient eventually someone will let you in. Plan ahead so that you have enough time to get into your new lane. Don't wait until the last second and expect someone will let you in.

You did mention there are three lanes in your example and personally I don't have a problem if you want to sit in the middle lane and drive whatever speed you like. However, the left lane should be left open for passing so that if I want to drive faster than you I can get around you.
You misunderstood my post. I didn't say *I* hog the middle or outer lane. I was explaining why I believe that a lot of motorists do it, i.e. because changing lanes in Massachusetts is a pain in the arse because 1) people drive too close to one another and 2) few people are courteous enough to let you change lanes safely when indicating to do so. I had advanced motorway driving lessons in the UK and generally know what I'm doing and when to anticipate danger. I never lane hog, but I do object to being tailgated when I'm in the inside lane doing a decent speed, not in anyone's way because some arsehole in a Honda is in a hurry but is too lazy to change lanes and overtake safely.

I don't think that Massachusetts drivers are generally any better or worse than anywhere else in the northeast, but the roads here make driving more stressful. The roads were designed for 50's cars and 50's levels of traffic. Adding lanes may not be necessary, but modernising the potentially deadly and outdated junctions, entrance and exit ramps and some major resurfacing is necessary, plus some actual street lighting on busy 128, which for all intents and purposes is an urban highway and ring road, not a country road where lighting would be an unnecessary waste of money.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
Caphillsea77, this highway is worse than where--L.A.?Cross Bronx Expressway? Areas with bad traffic can still have traffic issues, regardless of layout. NJ highways may have 6 lanes of traffic on each side, yet the traffic still backs up.

This is a list for the worst commutes in the US. Despite one MA highway making the list (I-93 Boston), I-95/Rte. 128 is nowhere to be found:

50 Worst Commutes: America's Highways to Hell - The Daily Beast

Last edited by LexWest; 02-18-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times
Quote:

my thread really has nothing to do with stand-still traffic. and i'm not new to the area.

it has to due with idiot drivers. not whether the traffic is moving. but whether the traffic is safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts