Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am an Atlanta girl currently living in Chile but am moving back with my partner who will be going to school at Worcester. From what ive read on here, Northampton seems like a great place for young professionals/grad students or people who want stuff going on but not big city like Boston. Is this true or would a place closer to Boston be better for those qualities?

Also, since I have never really lived anywhere that snows, I was wondering if commuting to worcester form northampton during the winter is horrible and not a good idea. Ive never really driven in snow so it´s not something i have experienced. I know it might be a silly question for those use to it, but after living in atlanta and south america, a commute in the snow scares me! Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM

278 posts, read 703,131 times
It doesn't snow so much here that you will have to commute in the snow more than a few times a year. And in those cases, just take it slow and you'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM

325 posts, read 924,942 times
Noho to worcester is a long commute (over an hour) though traffic is not too bad. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but a few times a week for a temporary period (school) might be bearable. You might also look at places around boston, since the commuter rail goes to worcester - and your partner could study on the train (wifi). Fares are going up, though. Of course, housing out there will be pricier.

There are maybe only half a dozen times in a typical winter when travel is tricky (usually as it is snowing) and you need to allow more time. Once the storm stops, the roads are cleared pretty quickly, especially the pike. Plus, on really bad storms, school might be cancelled. This winter has hardly seen any snow. I wouldn't let the winter commute be a deciding factor.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Northampton to Worcester is a drag of a commute, and would definitely get sticky during the snow. It is all on interstate highways, but that drive is a psychologically long grind. Northampton is a great place to live, but I'd think THRICE about moving there if one of you needs to be in Worcester more than a couple days per week. Even without snow, that commute might wear you out!

Worcester itself isn't so bad, depending what neighborhood you look in. In between Worcester and Boston, you might look at Marlboro, Hudson, Natick, Framingham, or Wellesley. The first two are closer to Worcester, but have pretty decent downtowns. The latter are more traditional metrowest Boston suburbs - not the kind where they plowed over a nice farm town with cul-de-sacs, but the kind that grew up around semi-urban downtowns that are still intact. You'll save a lot of money by living closer to Worcester, though. Wellesley, especially, is stupidly expensive, and Natick and Framingham have spiked in the last decade too.

I'd totally recommend Northampton wholeheartedly, if it weren't for the Worcester commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts