Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,063 times

Advertisements

Would love to get advice about location to stay at the Cape mid October for a romantic getaway with the hubster for our 20th. Would prefer ocean front B&B but hopefully in a town that isn't closed down for the season?

Have never been to the Cape in the Fall so I have no idea just how dead it may or may not be. Chatam, Brewster, Falmouth, Hyannis or Ptown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Where to stay at the Cape next weekend?

Thought maybe this might get more attention. Where on the Cape can we stay next to the ocean, hopefully a B&B in a town that isn't closed for the season? Have only been to Chatam in the summer but never to the Cape in the fall. Since the leaves aren't really doing their thing much this year, we thought the Cape would be nice for our 20th. Thank you

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Happy Anniversary! Chatham Bars Inn would be fantastic. I prefer the cottages on property to the main building but that's personal preference. Dinner at Impudent Oyster is a must. Nice atmosphere, excellent food. Next weekend is the big Wellfleet Oyster Festival. I'm sure many inns and B&B's will be sold out in that area. It's a huge draw and might be worth checking out with hubby.

As far as the Cape being dead. Quite the opposite. Fall is a very popular time to come to the Cape. Just drove out onto Sandy Neck Beach and we were at the 3 mile mark before we felt like we wouldn't be crowded.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Happy Anniversary! Chatham Bars Inn would be fantastic. I prefer the cottages on property to the main building but that's personal preference. Dinner at Impudent Oyster is a must. Nice atmosphere, excellent food. Next weekend is the big Wellfleet Oyster Festival. I'm sure many inns and B&B's will be sold out in that area. It's a huge draw and might be worth checking out with hubby.

As far as the Cape being dead. Quite the opposite. Fall is a very popular time to come to the Cape. Just drove out onto Sandy Neck Beach and we were at the 3 mile mark before we felt like we wouldn't be crowded.
Thank you Beachcomer. Looked it up and it looks beautiful but we really wanted a more quaint B&B and a little less expensive. Any other suggestions? Any other towns?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Having a tough time thinking of an inn on the water but that view easily adds $75 to $100 per night to the bill. For quaint, I'd look at some of the inns and b&b's in downtown Sandwich. You are walking distance to the boardwalk (gorgeous marsh area and Town Neck Beach),Glass Museum, the Jenny Grist Mill, Shawme Pond, Hoxie House, and various shops and restaurants. The upper Cape is going to be your best bet as anything mid Cape down gets really busy for the Oyster Festival in Wellfleet as mentioned before. In Chatham you could also check out the Wayside Inn. I'm not sure of the cost. It also is in a quaint downtown area.

Here are links to a few that I found in Sandwich:

1750 Inn at Sandwich Center - Sandwich (Cape Cod), Massachusetts - BBOnline.com / Introduction
Cape Cod Bed and Breakfast | Sandwich Bed and Breakfast | Cape Cod Accomodations
Isaiah Jones Homestead bed and breakfast - Sandwich, Massachusetts. Sandwich Bed and Breakfast Inns.
1830 Quince Tree House - A Cape Cod Bed & Breakfast

This might not be what you are looking for but is highly regarded:

Booking.com: hotel Dan'l Webster Inn and Spa, Sandwich, U.S.A.. Book your hotel now!

I'd suggest with any of them you call directly. Often, since you are less than a week out, you can negotiate a better deal than what you find online. Good luck. The truth is the season has really extended on the Cape and while you can find deals, weekends are still busy with cranberry harvesting and fall festivals so prices are still not off season rates as one would expect.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Having a tough time thinking of an inn on the water but that view easily adds $75 to $100 per night to the bill. For quaint, I'd look at some of the inns and b&b's in downtown Sandwich. You are walking distance to the boardwalk (gorgeous marsh area and Town Neck Beach),Glass Museum, the Jenny Grist Mill, Shawme Pond, Hoxie House, and various shops and restaurants. The upper Cape is going to be your best bet as anything mid Cape down gets really busy for the Oyster Festival in Wellfleet as mentioned before. In Chatham you could also check out the Wayside Inn. I'm not sure of the cost. It also is in a quaint downtown area.

Here are links to a few that I found in Sandwich:

1750 Inn at Sandwich Center - Sandwich (Cape Cod), Massachusetts - BBOnline.com / Introduction
Cape Cod Bed and Breakfast | Sandwich Bed and Breakfast | Cape Cod Accomodations
Isaiah Jones Homestead bed and breakfast - Sandwich, Massachusetts. Sandwich Bed and Breakfast Inns.
1830 Quince Tree House - A Cape Cod Bed & Breakfast

This might not be what you are looking for but is highly regarded:

Booking.com: hotel Dan'l Webster Inn and Spa, Sandwich, U.S.A.. Book your hotel now!

I'd suggest with any of them you call directly. Often, since you are less than a week out, you can negotiate a better deal than what you find online. Good luck. The truth is the season has really extended on the Cape and while you can find deals, weekends are still busy with cranberry harvesting and fall festivals so prices are still not off season rates as one would expect.
Thank you again BC. Really appreciate your taking the time to look things up for me. Very kind.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM

No problem. I hope something I suggested works out. That's a big anniversary that needs to be celebrated in style. I haven't booked a room down here in years and was shocked by the prices. I hope someone else chimes with more suggestions in as there is usually many comments on Cape threads.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
No problem. I hope something I suggested works out. That's a big anniversary that needs to be celebrated in style. I haven't booked a room down here in years and was shocked by the prices. I hope someone else chimes with more suggestions in as there is usually many comments on Cape threads.
Could it be some people don't want to encourage visitors? The Daniel Webster has one room available for $375! Yikes! Maybe just a nice dinner will work.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Wow $375 per night. That's nuts. I would hope people aren't withholding info but you never know . LOL Two motels I know of that are clean and well located are Sandy Neck Motel in Sandwich and Three Seasons Motor Lodge in Dennis. Neither is anything special but they are clean run by reputable people. Sandy Neck is right near the beach (1/2 mile) and areas that feature cranberry harvesting next weekend with a nice restaurant across the street. It's a short drive to the downtown and the West Barnstable train station that has scenic rides on Saturdays. Three Seasons is on the water in Dennis Port and has The Ocean House right next door -a fantastic restaurant with stunning views. I know they will be less expensive than the inns and B&B's suggested. The other thought is to wait until the following weekend or November when there are definite bargains to be had. I think you are the victim of big wedding and festival foliage weekends. You might also want to look North where the foliage has passed and you might find some deals. Of course it will also be cooler.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts