Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times

Advertisements

Not meant to be a political thread, just wondering why Scott Brown is leading the polls?
MA is a very liberal state, this was Ted Kennedy's seat, this is the blue of blue regions. Why is it then that a republican tea party candidate is neck and neck at best and at worst 9 points ahead of a solid, competent liberal?

What is the rationale as to me this is akin to liberal winning in red Texas?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Not all Republicans are created equal, as are Democrats. Scott Brown is a moderate Republican and gets support from the MA Tea Party. But the MA Tea Party is far different than the SC Tea Party or the KY Tea Party.

In fact, MA is known for a history of Republican governors (Romney and Weld), as is the somewhat bluer neighboring state RI. So, while I agree that MA is very liberal and a strong Democratic stronghold, eliminating an incumbent who has cast votes in line with moderate Republicans and even Democrats will be very difficult. And, furthermore, Scott Brown connects much more with the 'working class' base in MA than people realize. And if Dr. Warren wants to win, she will have to connect with them much more. She cannot win by just winning ultra-liberal strongholds like Cambridge, Brookline, and Newton.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Not all Republicans are created equal, as are Democrats. Scott Brown is a moderate Republican and gets support from the MA Tea Party. But the MA Tea Party is far different than the SC Tea Party or the KY Tea Party.

In fact, MA is known for a history of Republican governors (Romney and Weld), as is the somewhat bluer neighboring state RI. So, while I agree that MA is very liberal and a strong Democratic stronghold, eliminating an incumbent who has cast votes in line with moderate Republicans and even Democrats will be very difficult. And, furthermore, Scott Brown connects much more with the 'working class' base in MA than people realize. And if Dr. Warren wants to win, she will have to connect with them much more. She cannot win by just winning ultra-liberal strongholds like Cambridge, Brookline, and Newton.
Agreed but this repub who helped get Brown into Washington is thinking very hard about voting for Elizabeth Warren this time. I've even emailed Brown that fact. Other than Obama, who I did not vote for, ty, bleeding heart libs, I'm rather disappointed that Brown seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth with his hand in Wall St.'s pockets.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Because "its not Ted Kennedys or the Democrats seat its the people's seat."- Scott Brown

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because "its not Ted Kennedys or the Democrats seat its the people's seat."- Scott Brown
No matter...just more blather from Brown. Big phony in his pick-up.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Massachusetts fell prey to a pretty face.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I know Scott, I like him.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I like the guy too, Casey, I just don't think he has done much of anything for "us". *sigh* I don't know if anybody can do anything for "us" anymore. This government is way too big, way too powerful, way too rich for any idealist to come along and make any changes. Look at "Gopher" he wouldn't play ball with them so he ended up quitting in disgust. (so I heard) Fred Grangy. Something like that.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Massachusetts fell prey to a pretty face.
I didn't want to be the one to say it -- especially considering that I'm brand new to MA and I can't even vote (I'm a Canadian citizen) -- but I was wondering if there was a large population of women who didn't really care about the political agenda, but just thought he was a good-looking dude. Because he is.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I didn't want to be the one to say it -- especially considering that I'm brand new to MA and I can't even vote (I'm a Canadian citizen) -- but I was wondering if there was a large population of women who didn't really care about the political agenda, but just thought he was a good-looking dude. Because he is.
I'm sure there's some of that. Just like some would blindly vote for a Kennedy because of the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts