Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 14,721 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Bloomington, IN to Andover, MA. I will have a new position in the Andover area.

I would like to know about the area. Planning to rent a 2 bedroom apartment. How are the close towns (Tewskbury, Lynnfield, Salem, Peabody, etc)?

I want to point out the following:

- wouldn't like to take traffic.

- want to live in a safe place.

- would like to live close to shoppings and be surrounded by nature (love pines, trees, etc).

I will appreciate any help.. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Budget?
I'm not sure there is a good east-west commute route from Peabody, Salem, Lynnfield to Andover. Tewksbury would be an easy commute, I think, and more affordable. Are you not interested in other towns closer to Andover aside from the three I suggest against?
How about Andover itself? It's a lovely town, and green, and near(er) to Newburyport and other Northshore parks and beaches. I'd take a smaller or less-great apartment to live in Andover over most other towns. Keep looking, you'll find something good! (Oh, and Salem has some dicey areas- not like big-city unsafe, but dicey.)

Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
I would take Peabody and Salem off your list if you're concerned about traffic. Unless you have a desire to live near the ocean, it would give you an unnecessarily longer commute.

Why not live right in Andover? It's a nice town that's lively enough to have defined downtown, yet not overdeveloped to the point that you can't be near nature/recreational areas. While there is shopping centers in Andover and nearby towns such as North Andover and Methuen, many people in Northeastern MA also shop in NH, since there's no sales tax there. (I'm aware IN has a sales tax--as does MA, so this may/may not matter to you.) In Andover, you're within a relatively short commuting distance to Salem, NH, which has a mall and a few shopping centers.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Budget?
I'm not sure there is a good east-west commute route from Peabody, Salem, Lynnfield to Andover. Tewksbury would be an easy commute, I think, and more affordable. Are you not interested in other towns closer to Andover aside from the three I suggest against?
How about Andover itself? It's a lovely town, and green, and near(er) to Newburyport and other Northshore parks and beaches. I'd take a smaller or less-great apartment to live in Andover over most other towns. Keep looking, you'll find something good! (Oh, and Salem has some dicey areas- not like big-city unsafe, but dicey.)
You beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM

Thank you for getting back to me I can definitely live in Andover. I have on schedule to see a few apartments.

I am very confuse. I have 2 job offers in MA. One in Andover and the other one in Walpole (South of Boston).

Do you know something about Walpole and the surrounding towns?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Yes. If you have a choice, go to Andover. The end.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
My vote would be for Andover as well, but I'm a biased North Shore girl

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I would take Peabody and Salem off your list if you're concerned about traffic. Unless you have a desire to live near the ocean, it would give you an unnecessarily longer commute.

Why not live right in Andover? It's a nice town that's lively enough to have defined downtown, yet not overdeveloped to the point that you can't be near nature/recreational areas. While there is shopping centers in Andover and nearby towns such as North Andover and Methuen, many people in Northeastern MA also shop in NH, since there's no sales tax there. (I'm aware IN has a sales tax--as does MA, so this may/may not matter to you.) In Andover, you're within a relatively short commuting distance to Salem, NH, which has a mall and a few shopping centers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in Andover for 23 years... it is a great little town (somewhat expensive, but the burst of the housing bubble made all areas come down). I would definitely take Andover as a first choice, especially if you are working nearby. Nice parks, lots of shops downtown. Good school system, etc.

As an aside, although NH has no sales tax, MA residents that purchase something in NH, say like a camera or washer/dryer etc... and they use the products in MA, they owe MA sales tax. When I was growing up, it was the 'honor' system to pay MA, which was entirely unenforceable, but now on a MA resident tax return, there is a line item regarding items purchased out of state. That way, MA can nail you for tax fraud if you don't declare it. If you pay by credit card, you have a paper trail. You read people getting caught, in the newspaper every now and then (including one of the legislators that worked on the bill to have it put into effect).

Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM

244 posts, read 572,973 times
I never knew that about paying the tax in MA for something you bought in NH. We will be moving up to MA this summer, so good to know. My husband just informed me the same thing goes for MD, if you buy something in DE (also tax free), you should be declaring it on your MD taxes....

Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Smile Commute from Burlington, MA to Andover, MA

I will appreciate any help

How is the commute between Burlington, MA to Andover, MA?

Have a job at Pfizer in Andover, MA. I saw an apartment in Burlington, MA. I like it It is close to the Burligton Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts