Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 38,184 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we're considering a move to the Portsmouth, NH area and I'm interested in any feedback re: the MA border towns near the seacoast? Amesbury, Newburyport, etc., I would like a walkable area that is kid friendly. I have been spending too much time in the car where I am now in MD. No sidewalks and strip malls everywhere. I'd like some individuality in a place - and affordability. Any suggestions? thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
"Affordability" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think any of the walkable charming North Shore towns could be called affordable. Newburyport would be my first choice.
The fact is, most of the time one lives in/near a walkable town, you still don't live a few blocks from the charming extremely expensive downtown. You're still likely to use a car to get around,but it won't be a Jersey-like sprawl or anything like it. In that case, I'd also vote for Ipswich. All of the towns you might like are terrific, but I wouldn't call any of them affordable, any more than Portsmouth, and maybe less. Best wishes.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
What is NEMA?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Going out on a limb here, I think it's probably North East Massachusetts... maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What is NEMA?
Anyway, both Newburyport & Amesbury have pleasant downtowns, with a variety of locally owned businesses. Both are walkable, both have many parks throughout the city. Newburyport is decidedly more 'artsy' and has developed into an upscale small city, with many festivals in the Market Square area each year. This attracts thousands of visitors to the city, and traffic/parking is becoming somewhat of an issue. Expect to pay top dollar in Newburyport whether renting or buying... Affordability is NOT something that NBPT is known for, but please define YOUR version of affordable. You'll get much more for the $$ in Amesbury, and Newburyport is just a hop, skip and jump (over the Merrimack River via a couple of bridges) away.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What is NEMA?
Northeast Mass. Not that tough to decipher...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
Perhaps that's what people in Maryland want to call it; however, for those of us who live here, I think we refer to it as Essex County.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
What about Newington, NH or even Dover, NH are not all that far from Portsmouth and probably housing would be less expensive. My daughter lives in Dover and it has a great downtown. It's also convenient to Rye Beach. Probably 20 minutedrive

Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 AM

224 posts, read 946,789 times
I grew up in Amesbury. It's A LOT more expensive now than when I was a kid, but it's definitely walkable. The downtown area, the parks, the schools, the library (which is big for a small town!), the lakes, etc. are all within a mile or so of each other. I grew up across the street from Lake Gardner and could walk/bike everywhere in town as a kid.

Plus... HODGIE'S!! Best ice cream place ever. Wish I could pop over there right now but it's a six hour round trip for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,294 times
Amesbury is nice and the downtown area feels like it's on the cusp of something bigger. We're big fans of Cider Hill Farm. If we had any reason to settle down in north Essex, we would have looked into Amesbury (though the schools seem to be of mixed quality).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts