Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,543 times

Advertisements

My family would like to move up to Mass in the near future. We have family in Wakefield, and family in Kittery Maine (right next to portsmouth NH). We would like to be no further than 45 outside of Boston, but it doesn't matter if its N, S, W, or E of boston. We are not familiar with the towns up there at all! (we're in southern Ct). We have children, so we need a nice town with good schools. We are also looking for a place that would not be very "upper class" with expensive houses, we need something somewhat affordable. Any suggestions?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,331,340 times
I only really know south of Boston so I can't comment on other areas. I would suggest Whitman, Hanson and Hanover as 3 towns that fit your needs. Decent schools and relatively inexpensive real estate. Norwell could fit as well. You can currently find a smallish Cape in an older neighborhood in the mid 300's which is a bargain compared to 2 years ago. Norwell has excellent schools.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,118,887 times
I live in Wakefield, MA. It depends on what you think is affordable. I recommend Reading, MA or North Reading, which is close to Wakefield, but nicer towns imo. From what I understand, they have great public & private schools. I would buy there if I could afford it but what I can afford is way below average prices in the area. You could probably find a nice home for around 350-400,000 in Reading. Stay away from Lowell. Billerica and Woburn aren't that great either. Andover and North Andover are nice but be careful that you don't buy near the Lawrence town line.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times
Besides being located 45 mins from Boston, what are some of the specifics you're looking for in your next "home town"? And are you talking about 45 minutes for a commute time, or just to get into town for a night out, etc? (big difference).

I live/work north of Boston, so can only share opinions on that area.

If you're looking for the small-town feel, you might consider towns like Amesbury, Merrimac, Georgetown, Groveland which would be close to the seacoast but very easy access to Rte 495/95. Good schools, nice towns.

You could also consider Haverhill, a small city with a downtown right on the Merrimack River. Great real estate values, however, schools don't have the best of reputation. I want to share that I have 3 nephews who have recently graduated from Haverhill High and Whittier Tech (the technical HS serving many Merrimack Valley cities and towns) and 2 of them are now Freshmen at UMass, and the other has just finished an internship in Washington DC and will be graduating from UMass in May! So it is possible to succeed in school districts that aren't known as stellar...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,517,672 times
They say Ipswich is nice and a bit closer to NH is Newburyport. Oops just noticed that this thread was from Jan. 2009. Wondering what town you chose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts