Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM

387 posts, read 916,281 times

Advertisements

I've been exploring the Fells for a while and have found a few hikes that I like, but I've yet to find the right kind of place for a pretty, casual stroll by water. As huge as the Fells are, I'm questioning whether I'll ever figure this out on my own.

I'm looking for:

* Beautiful trees or plant life
* Shady park (ideally) or wooded area
* Next to bubbling brook, stream, waterfalls, small pond, or other small body of water
* Easy to access (meaning, no need to hike 2 miles to get to it)
* No cars nearby

Any ideas? It doesn't have to be in the Fells as long as it's in the general area (Medford, Somerville, Arlington, Winchester all OK).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
No interest in that lovely lake in Wakefield?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Do you mean Lake Quannapowitt? I've only seen it from the gazebo area, didn't realize it was good for walking. I'll check it out, even though it is a little bit far for me to go every day.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
You probably know this obvious stuff, but anyway:
You can walk up the east (Medford) side of the Mystic Lakes. Yes, you're close to Mystic Valley Parkway, but there are places where you can at least get out of sight if not out of hearing of the road. If you start in Arlington, you can also walk downstream beside the river, and don't miss the section which goes behind houses after you pass Whole Foods--there are some victory gardens there, which I've heard are totally unauthorized but they're being creatively used, so I wouldn't make a fuss. But then you do have to leave the water briefly for some houses, though I think there is meant to be a waterside path behind them. Then you can cross the river near the band shell and walk back on the Medford side (actually both sides are Medford there) though you'll get a lot of traffic noise, and then you have to do a short detour to the Somerville/Arlington side at Whole Foods. Note that if you plan to cross the river at Boston Avenue, there actually is a connection to a footpath on the Medford side (known only to a few) with a railing on the sidewalk that almost cuts off access. After that you can walk back up on the Medford side, which is quieter.

In the Fells, there is a dirt road around the eastern side of Spot Pond, and if you're really rough and tough, it's possible to walk entirely around the lake. There are also walks that take you around Wright's Pond, and past the MWRA reservoirs and there's even a waterfall, east of the Fellsway. It dries up in hot weather, but it was running as of a few days ago. You can buy a big folding Fells trail map at the Botume House on Woodland Road--it's very useful.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

32 posts, read 78,689 times
In Woburn there is Horn Pond (pronounced Honn) It is smaller than Lake Quannapowit and if you hike to the top you can see the Boston skyline. Have fun!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
Oh yes, Horn (Honn?) Pond is very good. It's in a quiet area and the path around it is partly dirt, partly a sidewalk, and you're in sight of the water almost the whole way.

There used to be an Indian, but he's gone now:
Horn Pond landmark missing - Woburn, MA - Woburn Advocate

Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Horn Pond does look very pretty. I guess I'm too close in to avoid the traffic if I want to walk close to my house. (Mystic Valley Parkway makes me want to tear my hair out.)

Amontillado, I do have a Fells map and have tried a few different areas. They are great for hikes, but not (so far) for the park-like atmosphere I'm going for.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
The other big woodland reservations in the area are Breakheart and Lynn Woods. Both have lakes/water bodies, both scenic, although not really park-like (too many trees, not enough open field/meadow). You might explore the Lincoln town trails which offer a tremendous variety including water and open pastures and farmland. Not so close, I know, but worth exploring sometimes. You owe it to yourself to make the journey (it will be a journey from Medford) to the Worlds End Reservation on the outer harbor in Hingham. Nothing like it for beautiful vegetation, water views, and pastoral scenery.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Lynn Woods

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the recos. I'll check some out this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts