Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM

34 posts, read 78,158 times

Advertisements

We are exploring the option of putting our children in private schools in Chestnut Hill. and so our budget for rent will shrink. We do not mind if we drive the kids to school for up to 30 min. and getting to Boston in 30 min.

We would like to know which areas in or close to Chestnut Hill (preferably in Brookline) we can find a 2bdr apartment for rent for a budget of $1,800 or is it impossible to find? For sure, the area will need to be safe and children friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
i think you could find something in the part of Brighton that abuts Brookline/Chestnut Hill Resevoir, which is closer in towards town. Suburban Brookline seems low on rentals and high on expensive houses.
Also, the more urban Brookline towards the resevoir might have something, although I think there are a lot of students and beatup apartments. Best wishes on your move. Great neighborhoods.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Check Newton near Newton Corner (Padmapper may be helpful for this). You should be able to find a 2 bedroom in a 2 family home for under $1,800.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 AM

34 posts, read 78,158 times
Thank you guys. Are there any specific areas in Brighton that are better than others?

What about Allston? is it family friendly or will we end up being minority among the students living there?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
There are definitely families that live in Brighton, but you are going to have to choose your street carefully. I think the oak square area is more family friendly, but I have a feeling it is more of a late 20s group than anything. If there are parts of Allston that are family friendly, I'm not familiar with them. Plus, given traffic in the AM you would probably be more than 30 minutes from the kid's school.

A quick search on craigslist even turns up a few 2 bedroom apartment in Chestnut Hill for $1800. Your budget is reasonable but on the lower end and apartments at any price can be competitive in the area, so I would just start searching in a few different areas.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Allston, no way. Not remotely familial, overpriced places, no parking, lots and lots of young people in the streets at night, bars, etc. No Allston. I didn't want to live there when I was 20!
Agree with Oak Square being more convenient for commute. Yes, Newton would be good if you could find what you want there. All of Newton is fine, some is great and goregous and expensive, but all the areas are good places to live, especially for families.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,253,976 times
I rented a 2BR in Newtonville within your price range. 15 minute drive to Chestnut Hill, family friendly.

Also I'm not judging, but surely you know that Newton and Brookline have two of the best public education systems in the country, right? By living in either town, you will pay for your childrens' public school education whether you make use of it or not, through expensive housing and therefore high property taxes (trickles into rents). If I was going the private school route, I would personally go with a more affordable town that wasn't gouging me on the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts