Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 28,069 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

I was born and raised in West Roxbury and lived there until I went to college. Long story short, I moved to Arkansas where I have lived until now. I am contemplating accepting a position in Westford, MA so I can be closer to my parents who still live in West Roxbury.

I am looking for an affordable place to rent (and maybe someday buy) somewhat close to work and kind of in between Westford and West Roxbury. I'm a single 38 year old man who likes to have a little fun and enjoys the outdoors, but my days of wild partying are over. I also have a dog that I want to have a little yard space for.

I have been looking at Maynard and Marlborough pretty hard. I would love to hear other people's opinions though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,578 times
The title got me confused for a moment as one is a city and the other is a state .

Marlborough is pretty nice and you will be going up on 495 which shouldn't be a bad commute at all.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 AM

Whoops! good catch tiger. i wrote this before lunch. blood sugar was low. Thanks for the advice.. you have much experience in marlborough? what's the rental market like?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It can be tough to find a rental with a dog and yard. Maynard and Marlboro sound like good options. I'd suggest getting each town's local edition of the Community Newspaper Group (comes out on Thursdays, in convenience stores, dunno about online) and the rental ads and all are often small landlords, like a two-family house or such, not big complexes or property management with a blanket "no dogs," and I think you'd have a better chance of finding a suitable apartment through the local ads.
There are plenty of dog-walk services and doggy day care in both towns, too. Best wishes.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Maynard was the first town that came to mind as I read your opening post. One point I'm not sure about is how many rental properties are available in Maynard. If you can find some good rental options, Maynard is worth a look. The town is a bit of a small urban island surrounded by orchard and truck farm exurbia. Unlike the semi-rural towns nearby, Maynard is an old mill town, with a revitalized downtown with some restaurants and such, and a mix of blue collar and young professionals/young families in its populace.

Depending on whether you'd prefer to be closer to either Westford or W. Rox., and how close to either you'd like to be, you might check out downtown Waltham. While the rest of Waltham has a suburban character, downtown has a young professionals crowd, some ethnic variety, a bunch of restaurants, and a sort of out-of-the-mainstream movie theater (not necessarily purely an artsy theater, but not your run-of-the-mill big hits megaplex theater either). It would be a reverse commute to Westford, and, outside of rush hours, an easy ride down 128 to W. Rox.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM

Thanks Ogre-

I thought about Waltham a little. My uncle and aunt lived there until they both passed away relatively recently. It seems just a little too far from where I might work, even with the reverse commute. The rental market is a little more competitive there though, so that's something to consider. Thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Yes, Waltham is probably worth keeping on the list of possibilities at this point. What is about the maximum you'd prefer to have to deal with for a commute?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM

33 posts, read 52,289 times
Maynard may be a better option than Marlborough in regards to places to walk your dog. (Large tracts of conservation land on the south side of town.) Marlborough is a little more congested -- it could add 10 minutes to your commute just getting out of town and onto 495. From Maynard, you have a lot of very pleasant 2 lane options for getting to Westford. (They'd be pretty, too.)

There are rentals in Maynard -- most of them close to the downtown. They can be quite reasonable, considering the area.

Don't count out West Concord, either. Yes, I know, Concord real estate is insane, but they do have some rentals, especially on the west side of town, that could fit your needs.

Another backup to Marlborough would be Hudson, MA. Not quite as congested and a bit closer to Westford.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Realistically, about a half hour commute or less to work is what I would prefer- 15-20 minutes would be ideal. I'd go a little bit further if it meant finding somewhere that was super dog friendly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Yes, Waltham is probably worth keeping on the list of possibilities at this point. What is about the maximum you'd prefer to have to deal with for a commute?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Hadn't considered Hudson, honestly. Anybody care to chime in with their opinions?

Thanks for all the great feedback everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingBeyond495 View Post
Maynard may be a better option than Marlborough in regards to places to walk your dog. (Large tracts of conservation land on the south side of town.) Marlborough is a little more congested -- it could add 10 minutes to your commute just getting out of town and onto 495. From Maynard, you have a lot of very pleasant 2 lane options for getting to Westford. (They'd be pretty, too.)

There are rentals in Maynard -- most of them close to the downtown. They can be quite reasonable, considering the area.

Don't count out West Concord, either. Yes, I know, Concord real estate is insane, but they do have some rentals, especially on the west side of town, that could fit your needs.

Another backup to Marlborough would be Hudson, MA. Not quite as congested and a bit closer to Westford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts