Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times

Advertisements

When the increased fares start in July, a Zone 6 season ticket (for Acton) will be $275 a month. Zone 7, for Littleton, will be $291. The journeys take 40 and 50 minutes respectively to Porter Sq, and you'd undoubtedly have to take the subway on from there, or from North Station. That's significant time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
I would look at North Shore towns for more affordability and highway access to companies along route 128, like Beverly, Danvers, Peabody, and Woburn and Stoneham.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM

40 posts, read 84,691 times
@brightdoglover, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Double $900/one-bed or $1200/2-bed" is quite posh!
Oh, ok, that's good! I'm just extrapolating from things I've heard about the housing costs there, housing costs here, and a few apartment listings in the Waltham area that I skimmed on craigslist.

Quote:
Regarding small houses in places like Littleton, out Rt. 2, no way would a house cost $2400 for small, or $1800 for a one-bed.
Littleton is out Rt. 2, 25 miles nw of Harvard Square. There is the purple line commuter line in Acton and Littleton, which goes to Porter Sq./Red line in Cambridge. Driving in on rt. 2 towards Cambridge, if you get on the road after about 7am, it's quite crowded; earlier, you sail on in. (There is a lot of traffic coming from the I-495 onto Rt. west- the traffic also depends on what time in the "business hour" commute you are. A lot of congestion is actually getting into the city and through itself). When I've had to drive Rt.2 west to Cambridge/Belmont in the morning, I've left at 6:30a, sailed right in and gotten breakfast somewhere while waiting for 8a to come.
Quote:
I've seen 1-2 bedroom house rentals in the Littleton area (and east Groton, a couple of miles west on a lake) for well under $1800.
Thanks for all of this info! I'm thinking that if I'll be working in the city, I'll need to live closer than that, in subway / bus range. That sounds like too gnarly of a commute for me. I don't want to have to be leaving at 6:30 am. I think I'd have to shell out a bit more to shorten the commute.

Quote:
The commuter trains are all outside the subway areas
Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't get the impression at all that the commuter rail would work for me. I wonder what the shortest rides on the closest ones are? Even so, the limited schedules / high cost would probably be a problem.

Quote:
Newburyport/Gloucester, while great places to live and on the train, are pretty far, yes.
Yeah...it's nice that they have the trains there, but not a commute I'd want to have to deal with on a daily basis.

Quote:
Look up Community Newspaper Group, and it has local editions for different towns with real estate ads for the area. They tend to be private landlords, not complexes or something (except Avalon) because they don't want to cast such a wide net as a major broker or big paper.
Thanks for this suggestion. Is this the outfit you mean?:

http://www.gatehousemedia.com/public...rMassachusetts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communi...spaper_Company

Quote:
Please feel free to DM me if something like that might be of interest. I might be able to find something.
Thanks. Are you in the real estate business?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM

@Amontillado, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
When the increased fares start in July, a Zone 6 season ticket (for Acton) will be $275 a month. Zone 7, for Littleton, will be $291. The journeys take 40 and 50 minutes respectively to Porter Sq, and you'd undoubtedly have to take the subway on from there, or from North Station. That's significant time and money.
Good GOD! That's a ton of money, but the length of the commute is the sure deal-breaker there. That's definitely more time than I want to spend commuting, if I can help it. After deducting the cost of subway / bus from that, there's probably still about an extra $200 a month there that I could instead spend on living closer to shorten the commute, I think.

Thanks for this info.

Last edited by Kicker Peabody; 04-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Clarified cost comparison.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM

@konfetka, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I would look at North Shore towns for more affordability and highway access to companies along route 128, like Beverly, Danvers, Peabody, and Woburn and Stoneham.
Thanks for this suggestion. If I can actually find suitable employment in that area, that might be a great idea (as long as the commute is short enough, factoring in traffic). I don't know of any reason that I couldn't find employment in that area, but my impression is that there's probably the greatest amount of activity in Cambridge (tech startups).

Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker Peabody View Post
@konfetka, thanks for your reply.

Thanks for this suggestion. If I can actually find suitable employment in that area, that might be a great idea (as long as the commute is short enough, factoring in traffic). I don't know of any reason that I couldn't find employment in that area, but my impression is that there's probably the greatest amount of activity in Cambridge (tech startups).
128 is the "technology highway" of the East Coast (with some recent competition from biotech), so you might actually have a chance!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM

404 posts, read 826,729 times
Tech work will be found in Cambridge, Boston, Waltham and to a lesser extent Burlington for the most part. That is tech work with a tech company, there is plenty of tech work with non-tech companies all over.

I would say that living in Waltham is a good bet. You can drive to Burlington in a decent amount of time and there is the (zone 2 $151) commuter rail to Boston that stops in Porter Square Cambridge connecting to the red line subway to Kendall Square, etc. If you get a job in Boston that is closer to the South Station commuter rail stop then you can either drive 10 minutes and park in a Newton commuter rail lot and take the other commuter rail line to South Station, or take the express bus (556/554) to South Station that stops in Waltham.

Rents are high everywhere, but Waltham will be cheaper than what surrounds it and certainly cheaper than Cambridge/Somerville. There are enough young professionals/grad students that you could also find a roommate if needed. If you rent where you can walk to the commuter rail then you save yourself the $350/year parking pass fee for the Waltham lots. Obviously it would be up to you to find a place to rent that has a driveway, overnight parking in Waltham is only allowed on one side of most streets and some streets not at all.

Additionally relatively inexpensive will be Watertown which has busses to Cambridge and from which you can drive to Waltham, but a bit of a hike to Burlington and to get into Boston you would take the subway from Cambridge I think. You could also check West Newton. It will be cheaper to find a 2 BR and a roomate.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
128 is the "technology highway" of the East Coast (with some recent competition from biotech), so you might actually have a chance!
Ok, cool, thanks for mentioning that.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks for your reply @SoFresh99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
That is tech work with a tech company, there is plenty of tech work with non-tech companies all over.
Good point. It's not necessarily so, but I think working for a tech company is probably my best bet for getting a job that really matches my skills and compensates accordingly.

Quote:
I would say that living in Waltham is a good bet. You can drive to Burlington in a decent amount of time and there is the (zone 2 $151) commuter rail to Boston that stops in Porter Square Cambridge connecting to the red line subway to Kendall Square, etc.
From what I've heard I'm leery of any commute requiring the commuter rail. I'm wondering how long that commute from Waltham would be.

Quote:
If you get a job in Boston that is closer to the South Station commuter rail stop then you can either drive 10 minutes and park in a Newton commuter rail lot and take the other commuter rail line to South Station, or take the express bus (556/554) to South Station that stops in Waltham.
Thanks for this info.

Quote:
Rents are high everywhere, but Waltham will be cheaper than what surrounds it and certainly cheaper than Cambridge/Somerville.
Ok, that's good to know.

Quote:
If you rent where you can walk to the commuter rail then you save yourself the $350/year parking pass fee for the Waltham lots. Obviously it would be up to you to find a place to rent that has a driveway, overnight parking in Waltham is only allowed on one side of most streets and some streets not at all.
If I'm going to be taking mass transit into the city, it would be nice if I could walk to the station, for the sake of simplicity and time. $350/year for a parking pass would be no big deal in and of itself, but of course it depends what I have to pay for other stuff like housing.

I'm very much in favor of living somewhere with off-street parking.

Quote:
Additionally relatively inexpensive will be Watertown which has busses to Cambridge and from which you can drive to Waltham, but a bit of a hike to Burlington and to get into Boston you would take the subway from Cambridge I think.
That sounds promising. If the bus ride to Cambridge isn't too long, that might be a good option. Would there be a lot of traffic to drive from there to Waltham?

I wouldn't mind living somewhere that would be a decent commute to several different areas, like Cambridge and Waltham. It would be nice if there was somewhere that would allow commuting to even more places, like those plus Burlington, but at the moment Burlington doesn't have any particular significance to me.

If I found a good job in an area away from the city, I guess I'd probably just live close to the job and not worry about being able to commute into the city. Hopefully I'd have that job, or be able to replace it with one close enough if necessary, for the term of a lease and be able to move by the time I'd need to consider being able to commute to the city.

Quote:
You could also check West Newton.
Ok, thanks.

Quote:
There are enough young professionals/grad students that you could also find a roommate if needed....It will be cheaper to find a 2 BR and a roomate.
My girlfriend will be in tow, but if she wasn't I couldn't deal with living with a roommate. I'd have to find something that I could afford on my own, either shelling out the extra money or accepting more modest quarters.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Where does the "in tow" (!) girlfriend need to be for school, work, whatever? Does she have or need a car?
Commuter from Waltham is absolutely not an issue. Waltham borders the city, and is not out in the burbs. It's more like a subway stop or two. The commuter train stops near my job in Belmont on the Waltham line, and it's a short hop to Porter Square from there (where there is the red line if needed). Waltham is perfect for a commute.
Stuff is blooming and blossoming and it is sunny and clear and not hot. Get up here while it lasts, after all, we never had winter this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts