Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 38,032 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Reading area next year. Any comments on how the area is in terms of safety, schooling? is it commutable to cambridge/boston? How are the neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Reading is an excellent community with a convenient mix of transportation, retail and other services. I'm curious, however, how have you already selected Reading if you are looking for this information? What other communities in the north of Boston area have you also considered?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks. I have sorted winchester, lexington, needham, etc. but Reading out of these had reasonable price range. All data on internet shows good, but wanted to hear it from someone. Any bad neighborhood in Reading to avoid?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM

108 posts, read 340,363 times
Default Reading is a nice town.

I have lived here for 10 years. Although we are moving away soon to be closer to family. It is a great place to raise kids. All the schools are good. You have all the modern conveniences and are close to all major routes. If you can afford it and don't mind and older home, I would live on the "west side"(that is where we live), as you can walk to 2 elementary schools & the middle school also downtown and the train. You can also jump right on rt 128 and 93 with in a mile. All the houses are different, decent size yards and plenty of kids. The downtown is consistently improving with restaurants and cute shops too. Another good area is Birch meadow. There you can walk to the elementary, the other middle school and the HS. The ymca is also over there and is a central part of the community. I have several friends who were lulled to north reading, andover and north andover by bigger, new culdesac homes and deeply regret it. Although they have nicer homes, and andover and north andover are pretty, they hate being so far away from everything. They say their husbands are getting the life sucked out of them from the commute. Every time they want to enjoy boston its just a little bit too far (since its 15 minutes at least to get on highways.). I know at least 6 people trying to sell their homes up there to get down closer to the city.There really aren't any bad areas. Behind main street (east side of rt 28) is a little less desirable, maybe starter homes/lower income, but by no means a "bad" area. All and all a really nice town, with a nice mix of people. If i get a chance to move back to massachusetts, I would def come back here! Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Best of luck in your search!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Cold up North, thats very very useful information. Thanks once again. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM

is the commute from reading to cambridge too bad?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Having second thoughts about North Reading over Reading. I am only worried about the commute to cambridge/boston. Which is better?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM

108 posts, read 340,363 times
Default Reading and North Reading are very different

Reading is much more convenient to highways. It is actually much more convenient to everything. There is no downtown area in North Reading. There is no train service. The schools are not rated as high as Readings schools. Anyone I know from North Reading sends their kids to private. But I guess that's all a matter of preference and what you are used to.
If you prefer more of a country feel (less sidewalks, no retail, houses more spreadout) then you will prefer North Reading over Reading. You will get more house for your money in North Reading for sure, but only you can decide if it's worth the trade off of being in a more convenient location. North Reading has many nice areas. Drive around both towns so you can decide what you like! And be sure to visit the schools as well.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Gotcha, thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

304 posts, read 774,335 times
The commute from Reading to Cambridge is pretty nightmarish, since 93 is pretty nightmarish. I have a friend who takes the back streets through Stoneham, Melrose, Malden, and Somerville just to avoid the commute. Either way it takes over an hour. If you work off hours, it may be a bit better (when 93 isn't so jammed up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts