Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 AM

25 posts, read 53,223 times

Advertisements

We are couple approaching retirement with grown children and we are considering selling our house in Braintree to move to Scituate in the next year or so. We still have about 4 years left before we retire, and the commute will not be ideal, but I think I'd rather start investigating and perhaps even move before we retire. I am kind of befuddled about how to sell our house and move seamlessly into a just-right house in Scituate. I don't remember having this level of anxiety when we sold our first house and moved into our current house. I'm worrying about selling and not having anywhere to go. And I don't want to compromise too much, as I hope this will be our last house. I don't want to overspend, because we are approaching retirement. We have a dog, not that that makes too much difference, but he's just another thing to think about. I know some people sell and then rent for a while as they look for a new house.

If anyone out there lives in Scituate, my "dream house" would be a generously sized cape with an attached garage in really good condition on a nice street. 3 bedrooms is sufficient. Is this possible for $475,000-$500,000?

Could anyone also recommend a great, patient realtor who could guide us through this process and who knows Scituate very well?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 52,115 times
Default Scituate

Hi,
It will all work out, we sold in Braintree, last May and just moved to Marshfield. We also looked in Scituate. Scituate is a great town. You will love it down here, it is such a different atmosphere. Living in a beach town is the best thing ever. I do have a name of a realtor, she is great,and knows the area very well. Let me know if you would like her name. 475k, will get you a pretty good size house, might need a few repairs/updates.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Thank you! I would love to get their name. Is there a way to message you privately?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 26,784 times
Default One step at a time, and you will get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhighlander View Post
We are couple approaching retirement with grown children and we are considering selling our house in Braintree to move to Scituate in the next year or so. We still have about 4 years left before we retire, and the commute will not be ideal, but I think I'd rather start investigating and perhaps even move before we retire. I am kind of befuddled about how to sell our house and move seamlessly into a just-right house in Scituate. I don't remember having this level of anxiety when we sold our first house and moved into our current house. I'm worrying about selling and not having anywhere to go. And I don't want to compromise too much, as I hope this will be our last house. I don't want to overspend, because we are approaching retirement. We have a dog, not that that makes too much difference, but he's just another thing to think about. I know some people sell and then rent for a while as they look for a new house.

If anyone out there lives in Scituate, my "dream house" would be a generously sized cape with an attached garage in really good condition on a nice street. 3 bedrooms is sufficient. Is this possible for $475,000-$500,000?

Could anyone also recommend a great, patient realtor who could guide us through this process and who knows Scituate very well?

Thank you!
Dear Braintree down sizers. You are so wise to start to think this over. There are some steps to take. People usually focus on the second home and need to do some home work on the existing home first. You need to have an idea what your home is worth. What you may need to do to it to update. You need to address any repairs or things that could come up at a home inspection before it goes on the market.
Also, you need to know what is it going to cost you to sell. Besides the commission, the state of Massachusetts taxes home sellers for $4.65 per thousand of the recorded sales price. Aside from that you have deed preparation and recording fees, which add up to about $3,000.

Then, you can put in your listing "subject to finding suitable housing". That some times detours some buyers. They do not want to wait. But, I have to tell you that the town of Braintree is very attractive to people who work in Boston, so some will wait. They want to be close to the Red Line.

While you house is on the market, you can be shopping in Scituate. Do not discount Norwell either or Hull for that matter.Hull is the new hot town. Lots of retiring people are going there instead of the Cape. For the price range you stated, you should be able to get a cape with a two car garage on a nice street. This all sounds like a great plan.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: no realtor soliciting allowed

Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM

12 posts, read 46,234 times
Default Agree relodeb!

I live in Hull, 3 houses from the beach!! You can't beat it. Funny enough my two neighbors are retiries from Hingham and Cohasset that have downsized and wanted to live by the water.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Retire to Hull?

I tell my Boston friends, retire to Hull. My Hingham, Norwell, Hanover and so on, retire to Hull. YOu do not have to deal with the Cape traffic. You have a gorgeous beach, and the people there are so nice. People look after each other in that town. I just did a transaction with a Hull teacher. I learned a lot about the schools, and the town. I was impressed. I cannot say that I have meant any one in my travels, that did not living in Hull.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM

8,524 posts, read 13,900,415 times
You're asking the age old question of whether to sell or buy first. Here are the major factors as I see it and your answers will be strongly influenced by the health of the real estate market in Braintree:

-Can you afford to own two homes? If you buy first can you afford to carry both houses for a few months or possibly even a year? Would you qualify for a mortgage without selling your current house?

-Would it be a big issue for you to rent temporarily? If you sell first and don't find your dream house right away you'll need a roof over your head. Of course, you'll incur extra moving expenses and you'll lose your mortgage interest deduction on your taxes if you're currently claiming one.

I don't know too much about Scituate but some former clients of mine moved down there a year or two ago and RAVED about their agent. I can certainly get the agent's name if you want.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM

18 posts, read 31,483 times
Why limit your search to Scituate? I think with a budget of $475K there are better options than Scituate like Cohasett.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Thank you for all your input. Yes, MikePRU, I may want the name of the real estate agent. And I am interested in your ideas about Hull, relodeb. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Default One step at a time, and you will get there.

Well,
In Real Estate you have to crawl before you can walk. Sounds silly, but there is a lot of truth in that.
Pricing you home and getting it ready to market are the baby steps. Braintree usually sells a little quicker than other towns because it is a desired town, good schools, good taxes, own electric and so on.
With the equity you have in Braintree, what is that going to buy you? What are you looking for in a town? Pick you location (s), and check them out. Go to breakfast in these location on the weekend and talk to the people who live there. That is a great education. From there you can get the town stats on line. Great a comfort level based on this-then HIRE a seasoned Real Estate agent. This agent will be working with you on a weekly and some time daily basis. It has to be a comfortable working relationship. That agent will be spending a lot of time with you, and every minute you will be learning a great deal.
It does not get more simplistic than this. These are some things for you to think about. Hope this helps.
Relo Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts