Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 16,198 times

Advertisements

I think Newton is a great option, too! We're a minority lesbian couple with a teenager moving from SF, and Newton and Arlington are our top and runner-up choices, respectively. (To be fair, Arlington is 2nd only because we have friends in Jamaica Plain and because their HS ranks a bit lower than either of Newton's HSs.) Good luck, and feel free to message me if you need any recommendations for inspectors and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 44,849 times
Thanks. That was interesting that you moved from Arlington to Natick. I will look up Sue Lima.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,192 times
Natick is a great town with many great neighborhoods. Brown Elementary was ranked 1st in the state for math and highly rated for ELA. Memorial is great as well. Good luck. For 650,00 it is your best location as far as amount of house you can get. On the south side, it boarders Sherborn which is pretty pricey.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,117 times
I grew up in Sharon and own a home in Arlington. You can't go wrong with the education system in Sharon. Arlington is good but not top tier like Sharon. Diversity-wise, Sharon and Arlington are both solid. Sharon has a ton of temples and mosques despite being surrounded by mostly white towns. Arlington is right next to Cambridge and gets some of that urban feel to it. Diversity is nothing like say NYC or big cities in California, but it's decent and you shouldn't have problems from anybody. Hope this helps

Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 PM

139 posts, read 68,161 times
Default Arlington Schools

Does anyone know what families do for help picking up kids afterschool? Are there college students in these town that might watch my kids from 3-5 pm? Or are there moms whose kids have gone off to college, who work as PT babysitters?[/quote]

All elementary schools are arraigned so that students do not cross Mass Ave (and a few other major intersections). (Some special needs classrooms require attendance at schools which do cross such roads due to not having locations at each of the elementary schools). Some years there have been parenting groups that have organized "walking schoolbus" programs. Many parents/caregivers pick up kids-especially primary age. I think by 3-4th grade many begin walking with friends. My husband was an MIT grad student and we were advised to find a rental unit in the Bracket elementary area. We did and were generally very pleased with the school and neighborhood. When my youngest were in middle school, we relocated to East Arlington. I drove the kids to school more often, because the distance was much greater with high school just past the center, and middle school in the heights. And the kids did not get moving well in the AM!

In the Fall of 2018 all 6th graders will attend a remodeled/opened space at the former Jr High East, due to increased enrollment in Arlington Public Schools. All elementary schools have been updated beginning in about 1999/2000 and having just been completed this past year. The Middle School I believe has some expansion plans-or perhaps the 6th grade will just remain at a separate location. The High School is in study for modernization and expansion (deciding on which of several plans to undertake), and hopefully will be completed prior to true overcrowding. The regional vocational/technical (Minuteman) high school is, I believe set to open this year or next after a major rebuild/tech modernization. This is really a High tech/college prep school for many of the students enrolled, with students prepared to hold some entry level job in field at graduation.

Also look on town website or google for Arlington email list. Also a parents list. Sometimes rental units are first mentioned on there, as well as childcare.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,004,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile_cc View Post
If you end up wanting to buy in natick use a good re agent that knows the town. We used sue Lima (cold well banker) and would recommend her.
Wow! There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I've done a number of transactions with Sue over the years. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
Does anyone know what families do for help picking up kids afterschool? Are there college students in these town that might watch my kids from 3-5 pm? Or are there moms whose kids have gone off to college, who work as PT babysitters?

All elementary schools are arraigned so that students do not cross Mass Ave (and a few other major intersections). (Some special needs classrooms require attendance at schools which do cross such roads due to not having locations at each of the elementary schools). Some years there have been parenting groups that have organized "walking schoolbus" programs. Many parents/caregivers pick up kids-especially primary age. I think by 3-4th grade many begin walking with friends. My husband was an MIT grad student and we were advised to find a rental unit in the Bracket elementary area. We did and were generally very pleased with the school and neighborhood. When my youngest were in middle school, we relocated to East Arlington. I drove the kids to school more often, because the distance was much greater with high school just past the center, and middle school in the heights. And the kids did not get moving well in the AM!

In the Fall of 2018 all 6th graders will attend a remodeled/opened space at the former Jr High East, due to increased enrollment in Arlington Public Schools. All elementary schools have been updated beginning in about 1999/2000 and having just been completed this past year. The Middle School I believe has some expansion plans-or perhaps the 6th grade will just remain at a separate location. The High School is in study for modernization and expansion (deciding on which of several plans to undertake), and hopefully will be completed prior to true overcrowding. The regional vocational/technical (Minuteman) high school is, I believe set to open this year or next after a major rebuild/tech modernization. This is really a High tech/college prep school for many of the students enrolled, with students prepared to hold some entry level job in field at graduation.

Also look on town website or google for Arlington email list. Also a parents list. Sometimes rental units are first mentioned on there, as well as childcare.
I'm pretty sure the person you're responding to has figured it out by now. In fact, this thread is 6 years old. So, that kid might be driving themselves home from school by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts