Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM

32 posts, read 157,032 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew any little nooks, libraries, or pretty cafes or reading rooms or ANYTHING that are just nice, comfortable places to sit and read and/or write? Not necessarily study or use a computer or anything. Preferably SLIGHTLY bustling and open til 10.

I'm wondering about the Newton/Dedham/Brookline area cuz I live in Dedham and don't want to go on the highway, so not Needham or Wellesley or Waltham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
I found both of the main branches of the Newton and Brookline public library systems to be large, comfortable, and you can likely find amenable locations within it to read.

1) Public Library of Brookline (Main Branch): 361 Washington Street, Brookline, MA 02445, 617-730-2370

Hours:
Mon-Thu 10am–9pm
Fri-Sat 10am–5pm
Sun 1–5pm

2) Newton Free Library (Main Branch): 330 Homer Street, Newton Centre, 02459, 617-796-1360

Hours:
Mon-Thu 9am–9pm
Fri 9am–6pm
Sat 9am–5pm
Sun 1–5pm (though closed on Sundays in July & August)

Newton Centre, in general, seems to have various cozy spots around the neighborhood to hang around in (cafes; parks, et al).

Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I found both of the main branches of the Newton and Brookline public library systems to be large, comfortable, and you can likely find amenable locations within it to read.

1) Public Library of Brookline (Main Branch): 361 Washington Street, Brookline, MA 02445, 617-730-2370

Hours:
Mon-Thu 10am–9pm
Fri-Sat 10am–5pm
Sun 1–5pm

2) Newton Free Library (Main Branch): 330 Homer Street, Newton Centre, 02459, 617-796-1360

Hours:
Mon-Thu 9am–9pm
Fri 9am–6pm
Sat 9am–5pm
Sun 1–5pm (though closed on Sundays in July & August)

Newton Centre, in general, seems to have various cozy spots around the neighborhood to hang around in (cafes; parks, et al).
Thanks for responding! I didn't think anyone would respond for a second there. I've been to both libraries, but I'm mostly looking for places that are open til 9 or 10 on the weekends. Both libraries close at 5 on the weekends. And I don't much like the Newton Free Library for some reason. It doesn't have the cozy feel of the Brookline one, where there are tons of nooks and crannies to sit in quietly but there are still tons of people about so you don't feel weirdly alone. But the Brookline one is a bit difficult for parking. Coolidge Corner in general is I guess!

And I don't much like the city-center-type places. I like...do you know the Starbucks in Brookline? The one off the side of the road? I like that a lot. It's just not the comfiest the place in the world and is a bit small.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
I think that your question is a valid one - and very good. Never thought to ask something like that, but it IS a need, isn't it, for some people.

I read at home in my LR or in bed...But I think I know how you feel.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 28,056 times
Paradise Cafe on High Street in Dedham was kind of nice when I visited my brother a couple years ago. They used to be Cafe Video Paradiso back in the day when people still rented video tapes.

I don't know if they're still open though. They've got free wifi.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Cafe Video Paradiso, Dedham, I stopped by there a few weeks ago. I think it would be a very nice place to enjoy a little something to eat and read and hangout. There were enough patrons for it to have some energy, but not too noisy to hear oneself think.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM

392 posts, read 919,007 times
Very interesting question and I'm eager to see more suggestions from others.
One thing to OP: don't disqualify Needham just yet, it's right next to Newton, and you don't need to get on the highway to get there. And Wellesley MIGHT be an option. Of course it depends on where in Dedham are you coming from, and how long do you want to drive.

Let's say, dear board members, please keep your suggestions coming!
(and once you have a handful of spots, you can check driving directions to each one, and see if it works for you)

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Very interesting question and I'm eager to see more suggestions from others.
One thing to OP: don't disqualify Needham just yet, it's right next to Newton, and you don't need to get on the highway to get there. And Wellesley MIGHT be an option. Of course it depends on where in Dedham are you coming from, and how long do you want to drive.

Let's say, dear board members, please keep your suggestions coming!
(and once you have a handful of spots, you can check driving directions to each one, and see if it works for you)
I think there's only a tiny part that you can get to from the Dedham/Newton area before having to go on the i-95. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. I remember someone took me to a custard place in Needham and I don't think we had to go on the highway, but I don't really remember. I remember going to their library required going on the highway, or at least my GPS said it did. I know it's SUPER nitpicky to only want to go to places that don't require highway travel, but I think part of the comfort of finding a place like this is that it's as comfortable as possible to get there. But at the same time don't let my specifications stop anyone from recommending places in Needham/Wellesley because other people will be reading this thread. I'm just especially hoping for Dedham/Newton/no-highway spots.

I love Wellesley, but I think you definitely need to go on the highway to get there.

I'm so happy and shocked that people are so supportive of this thread! I'd love more suggestions and I hope the thread helps other people too!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandikes77 View Post
I think there's only a tiny part that you can get to from the Dedham/Newton area before having to go on the i-95. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. I remember someone took me to a custard place in Needham and I don't think we had to go on the highway, but I don't really remember. I remember going to their library required going on the highway, or at least my GPS said it did. I know it's SUPER nitpicky to only want to go to places that don't require highway travel, but I think part of the comfort of finding a place like this is that it's as comfortable as possible to get there. But at the same time don't let my specifications stop anyone from recommending places in Needham/Wellesley because other people will be reading this thread. I'm just especially hoping for Dedham/Newton/no-highway spots.

I love Wellesley, but I think you definitely need to go on the highway to get there.

I'm so happy and shocked that people are so supportive of this thread! I'd love more suggestions and I hope the thread helps other people too!
This is a strange thread to me because almost nowhere requires highway travel--it's faster to most places, but if you want to avoid the highway it's really easy. Especially from places so close as Dedham and Wellesley. To me, it's a bit like saying, "I'd love to go to New York City, but I can't because I don't want to fly and flying is the fastest way to get there."

I'm also not sure what exactly constitutes the Dedham/Newton area, especially since these towns do not border each other (Needham/Boston are in between). So I'm a bit perplexed as to where in Dedham you are coming from. The most direct route from Dedham center to Needham center, for instance, is on 135 (Common/Dedham street in Dedham/Needham, respectively). Once in Needham, you almost certainly wouldn't take the interstate to get to Wellesley, either. Needham and Wellesley are closer to each other than Dedham and Newton; Needham is closer to large parts of Dedham than Newton (Dedham and Needham actually border each other). I could see you being stuck in Dedham if you didn't want to cross 95, but can't quite understand if you simply don't want to travel on 95.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is a strange thread to me because almost nowhere requires highway travel--it's faster to most places, but if you want to avoid the highway it's really easy. Especially from places so close as Dedham and Wellesley. To me, it's a bit like saying, "I'd love to go to New York City, but I can't because I don't want to fly and flying is the fastest way to get there."

I'm also not sure what exactly constitutes the Dedham/Newton area, especially since these towns do not border each other (Needham/Boston are in between). So I'm a bit perplexed as to where in Dedham you are coming from. The most direct route from Dedham center to Needham center, for instance, is on 135 (Common/Dedham street in Dedham/Needham, respectively). Once in Needham, you almost certainly wouldn't take the interstate to get to Wellesley, either. Needham and Wellesley are closer to each other than Dedham and Newton; Needham is closer to large parts of Dedham than Newton (Dedham and Needham actually border each other). I could see you being stuck in Dedham if you didn't want to cross 95, but can't quite understand if you simply don't want to travel on 95.
Well that was a slightly condescending way of putting it.

Dedham and Newton are incredibly close. You can go from Dedham to Newton along the Veterans for Foreign Wars Pkway which turns into Providence with only a little Boston in the way. So is it really so wrong to think of them as one big area? I also included Brookline because it's also close by. I was just wondering about places that weren't out of the way and/or required travel on the 95. Sure it's possible to get to places by not going on the highway but going around it would generally make the place you're trying to get to "out of the way."

Of course Needham is closer to Dedham than Newton and they border each other, but that's not significant to what I was asking.

If the thread is so strange to you you shouldn't have responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts