Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times

Advertisements

Are there any jobs for high school people around Haverhill, MA? I have been looking for a job for 2-3 years and sent out dozens of applications all over the place in person and online. How do we get our foot in the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Do you have transportation? Could you look in, say, Andover?

What kind of places are you looking for?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
How old are you? You say you are in high school but have been looking for 2 -3 years. Many places won't hire until you are 16. I'm assuming you are at this point. Maybe go back to those places you tried before you were 16? Don't just send in an application. Call and/or go to meet the person who hires in person. When you go be clean and neatly dressed. Shake the persons hand and tell them you are looking for a job and if/when they are hiring that you hope they will consider you. It makes a difference. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Maybe try getting some sort of certification. It's generally worth it. You can get lifeguard certified at 16. It will cost $300 or so, but you'll quickly make up for it in pay. During the summer, places scramble to find guards. Between pools, ponds, lakes, rivers, summer camps, beaches, etc. you can expect to make in the ballpark of $12+/hour from the start. During the winter months, you can get jobs at a local YMCA, Boys Club, city pool, college pool, etc.

A lifeguard certification (or any certification) is one way of setting yourself apart from other people your age. Also, if you plan on going to college the CPR and Lifeguard certifications (you will get both) are worth credits at most schools. I got 2 credits (1 for CPR, one for Lifeguard) for my certifications. Between the higher pay while working and the college credits, the $300 lifeguard course is absolutely worth it.

Having a CPR/Lifeguard certification is a HUGE plus if you want to get babysitting or nannying jobs sporadically too. I never took anyone up on that, but I was asked constantly. And I'm a guy. Girl guards got offers from mothers almost every day. My sister ended up nannying for a wealthy Boston family while in college making $20/hour.

Definitely agree with Beachcomber4 too. If you have the option to go in an apply in person, do it. If you present yourself well, it's not impossible to be hired on the spot.

At this stage, look for seasonal work. It's almost summer and many seasonal facilities are hiring. You can make inroads that way and gain experience while making money. Having that experience will help you land longer term jobs as well. If you do want to get lifeguard certified, look for counselor jobs at local summer camps. Many of these camps are run by YMCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, and other organizations that do have year-round jobs. They also might be able to certify you for free if you express interest.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
How old are you? You say you are in high school but have been looking for 2 -3 years. Many places won't hire until you are 16. I'm assuming you are at this point. Maybe go back to those places you tried before you were 16? Don't just send in an application. Call and/or go to meet the person who hires in person. When you go be clean and neatly dressed. Shake the persons hand and tell them you are looking for a job and if/when they are hiring that you hope they will consider you. It makes a difference. Good luck.
I'm 21 years old and I have a ged.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Good for you for making the commitment and getting your GED. I've known many young people who because of circumstances beyond their control, bad decisions and/or learning disabilities that made school difficult. It is not an easy road but it sounds like you are on a good path so don't give up.

The harsh truth is that the GED is not looked upon favorably by some employers and more and more young adults are going to night school to get their full diploma. It's almost expected. I think in your instance it's super important to be present with your application and speak directly to those who do the hiring. Explain your situation. I've hired honest, earnest young people who just needed a break and I'm sure there are employers out there who would do the same. It's just going to take some serious looking. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM

My ged is a high school diploma by law. I've never did drugs in my life and I have a clean record.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
My ged is a high school diploma by law. I've never did drugs in my life and I have a clean record.

I don't have anything negative to say about a person who gets their GED, just passing along what I know is a real bias with some employers.

That is why I said it is very important for you to go and meet with people to get hired. You are more than the information on your application.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
It's a diploma by law, but looked down upon by employers regardless. It shows that something is up in your past and it doesn't sound like you have more education or experience to show employers that your past is not indicative of your future.

Could you volunteer? Go to community college? Get some kind of technical certification?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Anyone from the area know who's hiring? I haven't seen much around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts