Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,755 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to MA this year and am looking for a rental somewhere between Northeastern University and Worcester, preferably a short walk to the commuter line. Not too close to Boston, because we can't really afford it, but also not too far, so the time on the train can be easy for a daily commute. (I will be driving to work in Worcester and my partner will be taking the train to Northeastern.)

We are hoping to spend less than $1200/mo on rent.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
In part it depends on how long a commute each of you is up for. The kind of neighborhood feel you'd prefer is also a factor. The truth is that your budget may limit your options some, but info on the kind of neighborhood you'd prefer, if possible, at least would give some idea of what towns should be at the top of the long list. Sounds as if one of you will be walking, in which case proximity to stores seems like a feature you'd most likely prefer. You'd also increase your options if you were open to arrangements like an apartment in a subdivided house with one or two other units.

My first thought is downtown Natick, also maybe West Natick, though I don't know W. Natick well enough to be sure how close the nearest stores are. This page from Craigslist shows that there are possibilities in Natick: boston all apartments classifieds "natick" - craigslist.

It gets tricky to find anything else in the area roughly in the middle between Boston and Worcester. Framingham is the largest town in that area, and likely has quite a few rental properties, but if you've got to live within walking distance of the train, this probably won't work so well, as downtown F'ham, where the train station is located, is a faded area without a whole lot going on, and not much in the way of stores within walking distance. West of F'ham, towns like Ashland and Southborough are smaller, and may not have as many rental properties. I also don't know the area around the train station in either town, so I don't know what if anything there is within walking distance in the way of stores. If there are stores near either train station, and some rental properties, those towns would be possibilities. West of there, you're getting closer to Worcester and out of what I would consider in-between territory.

Immediately east of Natick is Wellesley, which is $$$$$$$$. A quick check on CL turned up zero rental properties in your price range in Wellesley. East of Wellesley is Newton, which actually borders Boston on the west, so it too is probably located outside of in-between territory that would strike a balance for both commutes. If you'd consider something this far east, keep in mind that Newton is pricey, but not like Wellesley. There do appear to be some rentals in your price range in Newton, judging by a look at CL. It may be that in Newton you'd want to focus on neighborhoods near the T's green line rather than commuter rail. There are long gaps in service at the commuter rail stops in Newton, mostly in the afternoon and evening for trains inbound toward Boston.

A couple of outside-the-box possibilities would be West Roxbury and downtown Waltham. I say outside the box because these are located away from the east-west line between Boston and Worcester. Neither of these locations is likely to be the best for the drive to Worcester, though they may be worth considering initially, because they are located at least somewhat west of Boston, and have commuter rail service. Keep in mind, though, that from Waltham there would still be a bit of a haul on the T to reach Northeastern after arrival in Boston.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Framingham and Waltham come to mind. Are you a professor? Just a guess.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 7,533 times
You may be able to find a suitable place in Mission Hill, right next to Northeastern. Or, Natick.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM

404 posts, read 1,196,104 times
I would look at Grafton"commuter lint to get into Boston...20. -30 minute commute to Worcester (depending on where you are going).

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlake View Post
You may be able to find a suitable place in Mission Hill, right next to Northeastern. Or, Natick.
Well, Natick is fairly well centered between these locations, but Mission Hill is not in the best location for balancing the two commutes. Great for the trip to Northeastern, since it's practically like a corner of the Northeastern campus, but maybe not such a hot location for the commute to Worcester.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
"easy daily commute"? 30 minutes? 45 minutes? some people commute by train for 90 minutes because it is an easier daily commute than by car. Commuting to Worcester from the east will cost you daily tolls if you use the Mass Turnpike, I-90. Otherwise coming from east of Worcester will take you on Route 20 or 9. Both with multiple traffic lights and congestion. Northeast of Worcester is Concord, Ma.(Fitchburg line). Multiple trains to Boston, about 40 minutes and then non-toll I-495 to I-290 to downtown Worcester. Both of you will have about a 40-55 minute commute, with getting to Northeastern the longer commute. Also a look at Franklin could work. 55 minute MBTA ride to Boston and then a 35 minute ride to Worcester up Route 140.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Good out-of-the-box suggestions, mr2448. Actually, the train ride from Franklin is a bit over an hour, according to the transit website:

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

MBTA Commuter Rail > Franklin Lines Schedules and Maps.

Still, given that this arrangement will involve accepting commutes that are less than ideal, mr2448's suggestions are worth serious consideration, as a way to make the commutes as manageable as possible while saving the cost of Mass. Pike tolls.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Well, Natick is fairly well centered between these locations, but Mission Hill is not in the best location for balancing the two commutes. Great for the trip to Northeastern, since it's practically like a corner of the Northeastern campus, but maybe not such a hot location for the commute to Worcester.
Plus you would get killed on tolls.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 AM

404 posts, read 1,196,104 times
Again, having lived in Worcester most of my life I would definitely look at Grafton. There is a commuter rail at Tufts Veterinary School and you would have no tolls driving to Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts